Wiki Posts
Search

Airport People Movers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:48 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by stut
Can't remember the details, but the one at FRA has the oddity of different carriages carrying airside and landside passengers (or is it Schengen and non?), from distinct platforms.
I think it's actually brilliant -- that they thought far enough in advance to design the ability for the single train / different cars to serve the different sides of security clearance. Also seen in Singapore airport.

A complete opposite to the don't-care-what-crap-gets-built attitude that the EWR Airtrain seems to embody.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Can't remember the details, but the one at FRA has the oddity of different carriages carrying airside and landside passengers (or is it Schengen and non?), from distinct platforms.
ZRH has the same for the E-gate Heidi train: 1 car sterile area, 2 cars non-sterile.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:36 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by televisor
ZRH has the same for the E-gate Heidi train: 1 car sterile area, 2 cars non-sterile.
Oh, so it's real! I thought I'd hallucinated the cowbells and mooing in my jetlagged state...
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:44 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Other interesting ones:

The shuttle from BHX to its railway station used to be a maglev (years before PVG). Now just cable hauled.

The LHR T5 airside shuttle has public access to the tunnel running underneath. Nice if you like to stretch your legs.

Landside at LHR, one of the car parks is linked to the terminal by an innovative PRT "pod" system. If it gets rolled out to transport people around the airport as a whole, it would be revolutionary.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by TA
I think it's actually brilliant -- that they thought far enough in advance to design the ability for the single train / different cars to serve the different sides of security clearance. Also seen in Singapore airport.
Same can't be said for HKG. One mover takes pax out to the pier and comes back empty, while the other takes people in, and goes back out empty. That reduces potential capacity by 1/2 and adds to wait time. All this made reportedly worse by extending the line and adding a new terminus.

Fortunately I can void going there.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
The shuttle from BHX to its railway station used to be a maglev (years before PVG). Now just cable hauled.
Apparently that system was so well built it rarely needed any kind of maintenance, and needed no replacement parts. When it came time to replace the system, the original company had long gone so they had to go with cable drawn system.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:11 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Same can't be said for HKG. One mover takes pax out to the pier and comes back empty, while the other takes people in, and goes back out empty. That reduces potential capacity by 1/2 and adds to wait time. All this made reportedly worse by extending the line and adding a new terminus.....
Oh, that screwed me one time (kind of) -- I wanted to visit the multiple lounges in HKG, but didn't know the airport well enough yet. So I took the people mover to the end of the pier to go to the Thai lounge, and didn't realize that returning on the people mover is not allowed (I wanted to take it back to the Singapore lounge just at the entrance near security/immigration). It was a tedious (but not a big deal) 7-10 min walk back...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.