Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been paid in cash for being bumped from a flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: NW, US, UA, DL

I was traveling by plane a while ago and was offered a chance to take a later flight for a $300 voucher. I decided against it because I did not know if that airline will be in business after this summer. If it would have been a $300 check I would have taken them up on the offer. I might even have waited the 3 hours for $200.

Do the airlines ever offer cash or a check to bumped passengers?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
About three years ago I was on UA's last flight of the day from Ord to Lhr and they were in an oversold situation. They offered a $300 check or $600 in travel vouchers plus hotel and meal vouchers. I flew the next morning on their daylight service. I am still kicking myself for taking the check. I flew UA a lot back then and the travel voucher would have made more sense. I had never been offered a check before.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:36 pm

Last summer I flew NWA PHL to DTW and got bumped. They offered me travel voucher or $380 cash...I took the cash.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Travel_intellectual

Do the airlines ever offer cash or a check to bumped passengers?
For involuntary bumps operating from the U.S.A., it's the law.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/08-1145.htm
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:05 pm

I know this happens in europe. Last summer ZRH-LAX. (swiss)Asked for buyup at the
gate to C, flight was oversold, they offered C the next day, nights lodging and aprox 400 euro (forgot the exact amount) and paid in cash at the service counter.

Last edited by BILLRNNP; Jun 19, 2008 at 3:05 pm Reason: airline
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:49 pm

Couple of years ago I was flying as a courier on a Nothwest flt from LAX to Seoul,because of heavy headwinds they had to lower the weight in the plane on the initial flt to Narita,they gave me a $400 check to switch to a Asiana nonstop flt which left a little later but got me to Seoul before the NWA (with connection arrived) .I have received bump vouchers many times but this is the only time I was offered cash
Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:16 am

Lh

Bumped me off an LH flight FRA-NRT and stuck me on an NH instead some 5 hours later. I was in C. Walked away with (i) meal-vouchers (ii) a voucher which at their service desk converted to 630 Eur cash and (iii) an upgrade to NH-F.

The former was spent on lunch in the airport (where the voucher, surprisingly enough, was enough to get a great meal and a diet coke. The 630 Eur, however, were spent on stuff for my spouse in Japan, after I was reckless enough to tell him over the phone of my fortune....(VDB-compensation appears to be domestically taxable income, in the same way as MR points and miles)
Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
€800 is what AF was giving to those in coach willing to take the bump on some long-haul flights from CDG. Given the conversion rate between the euro and the Bush peso, it could well be more money for taking the bump than the ticket itself cost.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:42 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Several years ago, flying on SAS from Frankfurt to Newark (via CPH, of course), I was bumped and put onto a much later flight.

SAS compensation was $400, upgrade to Business Class on the later CPH-EWR flight, a taxi ride to/from the airport + approx. $30 USD spending money for the roughly 6 hours in Copenhagen.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by etch5895
Several years ago, flying on SAS from Frankfurt to Newark (via CPH, of course), I was bumped and put onto a much later flight.

SAS compensation was $400, upgrade to Business Class on the later CPH-EWR flight, a taxi ride to/from the airport + approx. $30 USD spending money for the roughly 6 hours in Copenhagen.
Ah, SK C-class CPH-CDG, as part of a long-haul also in C. VDB (2h later, same class) and a 400 Eur voucher, exchangable for 200 Eur in cash. Used the voucher on V-fares for spouse, self, and inlaws to OSL for a weekend. Free vacation, free miles and 2h of sleep in the Scandinavian lounge in CPH. Not bad.

I think that all European carriers offer cash-reimbursement of vouchers at a 50% rate or better, so I gather it must be law somewhere?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:18 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Last summer I was flying an overbooked flight on SAS from SEA-CPH. I volunteered to be bumped for $600 voucher, upgrade to business class the next day, and overnight accommodations and expenses.

There were some hassles with the accommodations and retrieving my luggage at CPH, so I traded the $600 voucher for $300 cash, figuring I would not care to fly SAS again. Since I was traveling for a cruise where all the expenses were prepaid, I actually came home with more money than when I left.

I flew home on LH via FRA/DEN to avoid any further dealings with SK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.