Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The new USA passports are embarrassing.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new USA passports are embarrassing.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by cdma
You fail at being an American citizen.
Is there a penalty for that?
Old Aug 1, 2008, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I look at the passport pages about 10 seconds a month so no problem for me. My best guess is in a year or two the passport pages will be covered with ads from Pepsi, McDonalds, Philip Morris etc. Now that is gross.

MisterNice
Old Aug 2, 2008, 1:41 am

Location: Happiest Place on Earth~ Mickey's Home: ORLANDO, SUNNY FLORIDA!
Programs: #1 Delta, National, Marriott #2 American, Hertz, Hilton
Thumbs down Ooooh I am in Sssssooooo much trouble...

Originally Posted by cdma
You fail at being an American citizen.
Uh...I passed the Citizenship Test...so go tell the USCIS and see if they care.

One REALLY important fact I forgot to mention is that I was living in Manhattan on 9-11-01. I was literally 2 miles away and have pictures of Ground Zero from Canal Street. I stayed up 3 nights attending vigils in Union Square and made sure that the thousands of candles people brought stayed lit all night. A lot of people died that day and a lot loved America. So, ANYTHING that represents the U.S.A. (i.e. passports, flags, coins...) has a very important place in my heart. So, please forgive me for defending something I cherish and hold dear to my heart. As far as I am concerned, when I travel outside the U.S. the only thing that can officially prove that I am an American IS the passport and whether the design is good or bad is a whole different matter. "R.I.P. W.T.C. 9.11.2001. NEVER again! I will NEVER forget!"

Last edited by Fly-Me-to-the-Moon!; Aug 2, 2008 at 1:53 am
Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:21 am

Just received my new passport and I can't wait to use it now, it's very funny. I think the man at the desk will laugh at me.

Might book some flights for the start of the UK soccer season but don't tell my wife.

Woo Woo.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Me-to-the-Moon!
Oh, by the way, it's okay if you don't like the passport, but I don't think it's okay to mock the government.
I didn't know the first amendment was repealed. This country was FOUNDED upon the premise that it's okay to mock, ridicule, humiliate, criticize and deride the government.

And the new passports ARE tacky. It's not going to make anyone feel more patriotic and it's very amateur-ish. Doesn't draw a lot of respect. The older edition (which my sister has) is much nicer. Do you think the immigration officer at London, Paris, Frankfurt, whatever, gives a flying .... what Reagan said at such and such a time or what JFK said at such and such a time, or even what Mt. Rushmore looks like for that matter? They just put stamps on it and off you go. All the new design does is make the stamps harder to see, on top of being butt ugly, tacky, amateurish, and unprofessionally designed.

By the way, the actions of the US government both domestically and internationally and the imbecile this country calls president has done more to embarrass the United States than all 300 million people in America currently going out of country and acting like jackasses can ever hope to do to embarrass this country.

Last edited by stupidhead; Aug 2, 2008 at 3:48 am
Old Aug 2, 2008, 4:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xanthuos

Which means I now have to get one of the new garish UGLY retarded tacky embarassing passports.
Although I agree that the new passport is somewhat tacky, I think you should also be aware that your above statement is as well, specifically using the word retarded in combination with ugly, tacky and embarassing...
Old Aug 2, 2008, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by pentop
If any other country in the world promotes what it has, it is heroic nationalism and pride. If America does the same, then it is Jingoism. A shame, really...
But not only America if England (specifically) or the United Kingdom promotes what it has or what it considers to be its virtues, then that seems to be frowned on too. It's all right, it seems, for Scotland and Wales and even Northern Ireland to do so, but not for England or for the country as a whole.

I'm not English and neither am I British by birth, but I live in England and it saddens me. I'm interested to read your comment, which, from what you say, makes me infer that the same state of mind exists among some in the USA, too.

Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I found this thread to be quite interesting. Personally, I am in the camp that feels that as long your picture is decent and the info legible in your passport, it's fine. However, if people feel so strongly for and against the artwork inside, the government will soon see the potential of offering a choice of designs for a hefty fee.

Originally Posted by pentop
If any other country in the world promotes what it has, it is heroic nationalism and pride. If America does the same, then it is Jingoism. A shame, really...
Originally Posted by Christopher
But not only America — if England (specifically) or the United Kingdom promotes what it has or what it considers to be its virtues, then that seems to be frowned on too...
I suspect that no matter which country, its citizens will line up on both sides of the line.

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 2, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.