Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The new USA passports are embarrassing.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new USA passports are embarrassing.....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:44 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Have you seen the new $5 bill?
Yeah, but at least in the case of the $5, it's moving to a more colorful currency which I would like to see...

Originally Posted by Mudfish
What happens if you have a passport that is supposed to have RFID but doesn't? When I get one in the future I'd much rather go after mine with a hammer than have some special passport holder that blocks the RFID signal.
It does not invalidate the passport. If the RFID chip is no longer functional, the passport will be processed in the conventional way - which is what pisses me off most about the RFID initiative because we all know that it won't end up speeding up the process in the end.

Originally Posted by birdstrike
Originally Posted by Joseph.doakes
Don't the new passports contain the wonderful RFID chips in them? My passport still has some pages and a few years left, but I already have my RFID chip deactivator handy....microwave and a hammer.
I'm not so sure about this. The RFID chip itself is tiny, but the antenna is huge by comparison. Microwaving an RFID tag from consumer items results in real fireworks. ^

Any first-hand reports from a passport nuker?
Yeah, I wouldn't go the microwave route. I think there's some information out there on how to use an electrical current to short out the chip or something, I'm not sure. Time to google it!
Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:44 pm

I just got my first passport in anticipation of a family trip to Europe this summer. I compared it to my wife's older passport, and was amazed to find that the statement "The Secretary of State of the United States of America hereby requests all whom it may concern to permit the citizen/national of the United States named herein to pass without delay or hindrance and in case of need to give all lawful aid and protection." does not appear on the same page with the identifying information.

I suppose I'm being a stickler to form over function, but shouldn't these operative words of international protocol be on the same page of the picture and name of the citizen to whom courtesy of passage and protection is being requested? Shouldn't the type font be a little bigger?
Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by david4455
Every page has patriotic pictures and ramblings on it... it looks more like a souvenir.

What happened to the good old fashion passports that looked authoritative and official?

Did I "order" the wrong passport? Did I have a choice?
Lately having an American passport is embarassing............. I love my country, I really do. Sure wish I know where she went.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a 4th iteration of the passport coming out.

It replaces "The Secretary of State of the United States of America hereby requests all whom it may concern to permit the citizen/national of the United States named herein to pass without delay or hindrance and in case of need to give all lawful aid and protection."

with the simple:

"Remember Saddam!, fools". The RFID chip is replaced with a GPS using the 'Galileo' and 'GLONASS' systems but reporting back to NSA HQ in realtime via EVDO. The Passport hardware is linked back to the DHS database so any failure of the system results in automatic revocation of citizenship.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 5:47 am

Programs: Various
Thanks for the pictures - that thing is hideous! I'm in good shape with an expiration date and extra pages that might let me ride out this iteration (/aberration), but my daughter's passport expires in ~6 months, so it looks like we'll be getting one of these as well. Bleah. Then again, as an almost five year old, that might be the target audience for these sorts of graphics
Old Apr 13, 2008, 6:06 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Though I clearly live in a red state (though maybe edging toward purple as time goes by), I am true blue myself.

That being said, maybe there is something wrong with me, as I don't see anything wrong with the passports. (Just got my new one a couple of months ago.)
Old Apr 13, 2008, 6:12 am

There is a benefit to the unattractive new US passport. It makes other people feel better!

I have always been rather disappointed with my rather shoddy-looking (the cover started fraying during my 2nd overseas trip - not even a long trip) Australian passport with the rather hideous national coat of arms with emu and kangaroo (the passport version looks even worse than the 'official' version). But now there is an even worse-looking passport.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:02 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
For what it's worth, as an expat, I have to hand my passport over for various purposes every once in a while, and have always received compliments on the new passport.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:17 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I actually think they look terrific -- much better with the digitized photo a real part of the book instead of looking like some random glued in. And I liked the new design also. The only thing that made me sad was the last page being the moon landing. That was in 1969! It makes me sad to think that America has no more recent "Glory Days" to boast of.

Originally Posted by david4455
Every page has patriotic pictures and ramblings on it... it looks more like a souvenir.

What happened to the good old fashion passports that looked authoritative and official?

Did I "order" the wrong passport? Did I have a choice?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:19 am

In your package for the new passport, they assure you not to worry if for some reason your RFID is damaged in transit. You will still be able to travel. It will be handled just like any passport that has no RFID. Or so they say, and I guess I have no reason to doubt it.

Originally Posted by Mudfish
What happens if you have a passport that is supposed to have RFID but doesn't? When I get one in the future I'd much rather go after mine with a hammer than have some special passport holder that blocks the RFID signal.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In an "Ask the State Dept" forum, Maura Harty, Asst Secretary for Consular Affairs responded to a similar question:

Luis from New York asks, "Who came up with the new design as far as the pics and colors? It looks more like an drawing book for kids than a passport."

Hello Luis. We worked with the Government Printing Office to develop the new design, and we are very proud of the result. The "American Icons" design theme for the passport reflects the many beautiful landscapes of our country. Each page includes a quotation reflecting the hope and success of the United States of America. The new look also incorporates many anti-fraud and security features.

On the cover, the symbol at the bottom is the international symbol for an electronic passport. It signifies that the passport contains an integrated circuit chip on which data about the passport and passport bearer is stored. The symbol will be displayed at border inspection lanes at all airports and transit ports equipped with special data readers for Electronic Passports.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/ask/71055.htm
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
If you are lucky enough to have a decent picture to put in the passport, don't worry too much about the rest of it.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by Watchful
Though I clearly live in a red state (though maybe edging toward purple as time goes by), I am true blue myself.

That being said, maybe there is something wrong with me, as I don't see anything wrong with the passports. (Just got my new one a couple of months ago.)
Same, it's a passport. It gets opened, it gets stamped. Unless you're going to some really far off country and trying to get a visa in that country for another one, everyone who matters will have seen the passport before you submit it.

It sure beats the bland white pages that some other country's passports have.

Originally Posted by peachfront
I actually think they look terrific -- much better with the digitized photo a real part of the book instead of looking like some random glued in. And I liked the new design also. The only thing that made me sad was the last page being the moon landing. That was in 1969! It makes me sad to think that America has no more recent "Glory Days" to boast of.
It's really just geographical/landscape scenes vs. historical items. I think the moon one is one of the only ones that boast of an achievement. Most of the other pics are of the plains, palm trees, rockies etc. but a couple are historical sites.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by raustin
- Random inane/vacuous propaganda-style sayings
- GAUDY gratuitous garish superpatriotic graphics
Both of these bothered me the first time I saw my new passport also. My thinking was that if all these principles were so important, then why was the administration trying to quash and manipulate them?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:14 am

I guess it looked historical to me because our wild doesn't look that wild these days. Bison in the wild is certainly historical unless we're just kidding ourselves -- there's only a few hundred left to my knowledge and I've seen less than two dozen (at Land Between the Lakes in the 1970s). I've only seen working cowboys on horses rather than trucks at Magdalena, New Mexico in the 21st century. So there's the whiff of faded days in it to me...

I didn't read the quotes the other people object to. Maybe I should look again.

Originally Posted by civicmon
Same, it's a passport. It gets opened, it gets stamped. Unless you're going to some really far off country and trying to get a visa in that country for another one, everyone who matters will have seen the passport before you submit it.

It sure beats the bland white pages that some other country's passports have.

It's really just geographical/landscape scenes vs. historical items. I think the moon one is one of the only ones that boast of an achievement. Most of the other pics are of the plains, palm trees, rockies etc. but a couple are historical sites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.