Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotels contacting posters on tripadvisor.com about negative reviews?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels contacting posters on tripadvisor.com about negative reviews?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2008, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I occasionally post reviews on TA. I would be OK with getting an email from the manager along the lines of "....so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay, what can we do to make it right....".

If a review contains gross errors of fact (not matters of opinion, subject to fair comment) that are damaging business, then legal action may be a reasonable last resort - though this does not seem to be the case in this instance. Free speech does not extend to making intentionally defamatory claims - any more than it extends to a business knowingly making objectively false claims about it's product.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by alanw
A couple of years ago I had been staying frequently at a wonderful hotel in Santa Monica and the girl at the desk mentioned that the owner was paying them bonuses for good reviews on TA. For me, it's easily the best hotel value in LA so I was happy to write a positive review. And I got a suite every week after that for quite some time. The bad part is that in the last year they have been full every single time I've tried to book. I guess the success was my fault. Maybe I should start writing horror stories on TA so I can finally get a room there again...

Edited to add: I just popped over to TA to have a look and I see they're the #1 hotel now.
Now here's an interesting twist. A week after I posted this, I got an email from TripAdvisor asking me to confirm that I'm the author of the review I mention above, and telling me that by clicking their verification link I was solemnly swearing to several paragraphs worth of heavy-sounding quasi-legalese about whether I had actually stayed there, and actually interacted with them as a customer, and these were my true feelings, and my final answer, etc., otherwise my review would be deleted. Of course my review did accurately reflect my experiences with the hotel, so I went ahead and confirmed.

IMO the timing is very interesting, if not suspect. Their mail assured me that it was nothing I did, and it wasn't just me. It's only that from time to time, completely at random, they need to check the veracity of two-year-old reviews that were positive but not over the top and completely inline with those of most other reviewers.

What do you think prompted this?

1. Completely at random, just like they said
2. TripAdvisor has someone trolling through FT looking for signs of review funny business
3. Some busybody on FT thought they had found a possible reason to scamper over to TA and tattle.
4. Other
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:43 am

Exclamation motel owner

Hi, I have spent the last two days trying to understand the whole issue of
slanderous remarks on the internet. In the United States slander is a crime.
One day very soon it will also be enforced for internet users.
If I make a slanderous statement about my neighbor, and others hear it, even if it is true, it is subject to verification in a court of law. I am held liable for my comments. On the internet, the reviewers are as anonymous as the reviewers want to be. Ex employees who were fired for not cleaning rooms properly have posted slanderous reviews. Customers who did not get their way, and the list goes on. The good reviews are written by the real thing. Customers who stayed with us, who were not out to hurt us but rather were interested in writing a fair and helpful review.
I recently had a customer who was going to stay for three days. She decided she would create a rate for her stay @50 off. After much conversation about what I had quoted her, and what she was willing to pay, I realized she was a con artist, and I was not going to stand for it, I called to police, and asked them to mediate. i asked her to leave since she was not willing to pay more than $40 for her room. She left, and soon after wrote a short, but very damaging review. The site on which she posted her review would not remove her review, even though her words were clear slander. None of what she said was true, she was just peeved
because she did not get her way. If any of her comments were true why did
she spend one hour telling the police why she should be allowed to stay with us? Think about it guys. Many, many slanderous reviews are written by
people who are either on a power trip, or can never be made happy.
I consider myself a kind, generous person. I have had many guests tell me
they would come back and send me business because of my hospitality.
I want people to feel at home. But I will not allow customers to blackmail me
or slander me.
Most of you travel quite a bit, think about what it would be like if hotel owners created a very public site where they reviewed guests, their cleanliness, manners, neatness, dress so on and so forth, a sort of black list.
I have a feeling you would all consider that slander.
I am a person, I have children, a mortgage, I work very hard to make an honest living. I even have a very sick child who requires multiple surgeries.
When anyone at all can in flick of a button, do such damage to my livelihood, I feel I am living an Orwellian world, and I wonder if there is any
way to let people realize the harm they are doing to folks like me.
Oh and by the way I would rather put money into my ,motel then buy myself or my children a very needed new car, or even take my family on a three day vacation. So if the general public needs to give advise to motel, and hotel owners, they should live the life first, then see if they have the same opinions.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
My understanding is that PL now allows hotel managers and owners to comment on individual reviews. That would be the place for your rebuttal.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by Cloe
If I make a slanderous statement about my neighbor, and others hear it, even if it is true, it is subject to verification in a court of law. I am held liable for my comments. On the internet, the reviewers are as anonymous as the reviewers want to be. Ex employees who were fired for not cleaning rooms properly have posted slanderous reviews. Customers who did not get their way, and the list goes on. The good reviews are written by the real thing. Customers who stayed with us, who were not out to hurt us but rather were interested in writing a fair and helpful review.
I recently had a customer who was going to stay for three days. She decided she would create a rate for her stay @50 off. After much conversation about what I had quoted her, and what she was willing to pay, I realized she was a con artist, and I was not going to stand for it, I called to police, and asked them to mediate. i asked her to leave since she was not willing to pay more than $40 for her room. She left, and soon after wrote a short, but very damaging review. The site on which she posted her review would not remove her review, even though her words were clear slander. None of what she said was true, she was just peeved
she spend one hour telling the police why she should be allowed to stay with us? Think about it guys. Many, many slanderous reviews are written by
or slander me.
Most of you travel quite a bit, think about what it would be like if hotel owners created a very public site where they reviewed guests, their cleanliness, manners, neatness, dress so on and so forth, a sort of black list.
I am a person, I have children, a mortgage, I work very hard to make an honest living. I even have a very sick child who requires multiple surgeries.
When anyone at all can in flick of a button, do such damage to my livelihood, I feel I am living an Orwellian world, and I wonder if there is any
Oh and by the way I would rather put money into my ,motel then buy myself or my children a very needed new car, or even take my family on a three day vacation. So if the general public needs to give advise to motel, and hotel owners, they should live the life first, then see if they have the same opinions.
Wow, sorry to hear that happened to you.
I'm one of the (I think) 10+ people who were threatened with a slander suit if I didn't rescind my (true) comments that I'd made on TA.
Asking a hotel to clean a bit more, work with its staff a bit more? That's OK.
But the hotel in question above just sent out blanket threats to almost anyone who'd posted anything negative at all about them.
Your situation is different. If a hotel isn't living up to its promises, then it's perfectly fine to write (truthful) reviews of them on TA.
Best of luck fixing your situation!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
or slander me.
You raise valid points, but it seems to me that a couple of avenues exist to mediate such issues. First, TripAdvisor (for instance) lets owner/operators respond to reviews. You would have the opportunity to refute the reviewers claims, or, at the very least, reach out to him/her to try to come to some kind of compromise (refund, offer another stay on the house to try to make a better impression, etc.). I think the owner/operator always gets the opportunity to try to make a customer happy. You have to demonstrate that, and leave it up to other readers to decide whether that reviewer is, as you put it, someone who "can never be made happy". If that approach fails, you could take up the comments with the site, or, as a last resort, to a court of law. I also think that you have to trust that readers of review sites can "weed through" the reviews that are truly constructive versus those written by folks who are just mean-spirited and petty.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Why not post a link to the review, and your property. I'm sure FT members would be happy to stay there, if they knew more about it.

Internet reviews can be the best, or the worst. One thing about being in business is that you will always get some percentage of customers who you just can't please.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:47 am

Red face cloe

Thank you all for your replies. I have done all that I can short of
hiring a lawyer I can not afford. I have gotten nice reviews too.
All of your points are valid. In as far as Trip Advisor which I did not mention in my original comments. My experience with them is that they do not remove erroneous, slanderous reviews while other similar sites do.
I believe that what many similar sites to TA will be found to be illegal,
sooner or later.
I always ask customers how their stay was. And in the old days, before such sites existed, if a customer had any kind of problem, they would bring it to my attention, and I would immediately correct it, and give a refund that the customer and I agreed to.
Most people do not even complain to the management directly any more.
When I responded to a terrible review, the reviewer was even nastier in his reply to me.
All of us have bad hair days, grumpy days at work, and sooner or later a
person will be witness to it. This does not mean we should be subject to
public ridicule.
I love my customers, I care about them. When one of them ridicules me,
my place in public, I am not only hurt, I am sad, depressed. And no one will ever know which of these slanderous reviews are from people, like I said earlier, who never even stayed with us.
You are all good people, but words can never be taken back, and words on the internet resonate beyond those you are speaking of. People should be held accountable for their words.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
...words can never be taken back, and words on the internet resonate beyond those you are speaking of. People should be held accountable for their words.
Just my opinion, but I take "words on the internet" with a big grain of salt. I tend to look for common problems on internet review sites, not just a one-off opinion spewing spit and vinegar. Traits like "bad front desk service" or "poor food quality" or "unclean rooms" are likely to show up in numerous reviews if the comments are true. If a problem is only cited by one traveler, I'm more likely to dismiss it. If several reviewers cite the same issue, then I think there's more truth to the statement and it reflects a real problem with the property.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
If I read one negative review of your hotel where the majority were favorable, I would discount or ignore the one bad review. However, I have seen reviews on TA where the majority are negative and would believe that a hotel operator, who either ignores problems or does not respond appropriately to the reviews, should suffer the consequences. Additionally, suing for slander opens up other sites (e.g. Yelp, Zagat...) to the same issues in a world already overwhelmed by lawsuits.

I hope your situation is resolved to your satisfaction.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Truth is always a defense to slander.

For the most part, people that complain about reviews of their properties on the Internet typically aren't interested in anything but keeping people from knowing about the problems.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dgwright99
If a review contains gross errors of fact (not matters of opinion, subject to fair comment) that are damaging business, then legal action may be a reasonable last resort - though this does not seem to be the case in this instance. Free speech does not extend to making intentionally defamatory claims...
That's the litmus test for slander and libel in the US -- the statements have to be false, and made with intent to harm.

If you write a truthful, factual account of a hotel stay, you're in the clear no matter how negative it is. If the bathtub was dirty, room service food was cold, billing was screwed up, etc., go ahead and say so without fear.

But if you say the staff was stupid or venal, or make otherwise debatable / subjective points, you're on dicier ground. Stick to the facts.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by BearX220
That's the litmus test for slander and libel in the US -- the statements have to be false, and made with intent to harm.
Actually, the statements need not be made with intent to harm. They just need to be false. And if you are a private citizen (as opposed to the press), you can be held liable for negligence.

The word "malice," as it is used in libel law, particularlly with the media, means "knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard as to whether the statement was true or not." You will find many court decisions where supreme court justices are confused as to just what legal "malice" is.

For another example: A man's wife is terminally ill and she is in great pain. Because he loves her so much, and perhaps even to fufill a promose to her, he ends her life to put her out of her misery. He has committed murder or manslaughter, with "malice," the malice indicating that he understood the nature of his actions.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:14 pm

Thumbs down Business owner

Flyer Talk is a perfect example of an OPEN FORUM. This site is well managed
and not meant to sway, intimidate or destroy any reputations. Basically the
designers of this site are honest and not looking to become rich off of other
peoples demise.
I think we can all agree that most people are basically good, and anyone who has traveled can say that most of the time business owners are good people too. Then why is it that so many people gravitate towards reading Trip Advisor?
My experience with Trip Advisor is that an anonymous source can easily write
a short or long review, no questions asked. Yet a business owner can barely
get thru to a Trip Advisor Representative unless they PAY to join, in which case they suddenly have essentially paid for their right to defend their reputation. My reputation is very important to my existence, my ability to put bread on the table for my three young children, not to mentioned a physically disabled child.

When a site like Trip Advisor can allow an anonymous writer in a minutes time destroy the livelihood of many many people, I say it is time for all business owners to stand up for what is right.

I had an incident just recently, where a man made all sorts of complaints, to which I responded by offering a full refund, I even offered to help the person find exactly what it was they wanted elsewhere and pay the difference in price. This person insisted on staying with us. He was upgraded at no extra cost for two days. Hid in his room, never to be seen, and deliberately poured red sauce all over our pillow cases. My poor chamber maid was humiliated
but handled it well by being polite and taking care of the filthy pillows. This man proceeded to write a scathing review. Who was this man? A nut, a Trip Advisor "agent"? A competitor? Why would any good person do this?More importantly why would Trip Advisor give him the right to destroy my livelihood unless there is something in it for Trip Advisor?
Read on as a Trip Advisor agent writes an anonymous rebuttal to my complaint on this open forum. They did last October.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Flyer Talk is a perfect example of an OPEN FORUM. This site is well managed
and not meant to sway, intimidate or destroy any reputations. Basically the
designers of this site are honest and not looking to become rich off of other
peoples demise.
I think we can all agree that most people are basically good, and anyone who has traveled can say that most of the time business owners are good people too. Then why is it that so many people gravitate towards reading Trip Advisor?
My experience with Trip Advisor is that an anonymous source can easily write
a short or long review, no questions asked. Yet a business owner can barely
get thru to a Trip Advisor Representative unless they PAY to join, in which case they suddenly have essentially paid for their right to defend their reputation. My reputation is very important to my existence, my ability to put bread on the table for my three young children, not to mentioned a physically disabled child.

When a site like Trip Advisor can allow an anonymous writer in a minutes time destroy the livelihood of many many people, I say it is time for all business owners to stand up for what is right.

I had an incident just recently, where a man made all sorts of complaints, to which I responded by offering a full refund, I even offered to help the person find exactly what it was they wanted elsewhere and pay the difference in price. This person insisted on staying with us. He was upgraded at no extra cost for two days. Hid in his room, never to be seen, and deliberately poured red sauce all over our pillow cases. My poor chamber maid was humiliated
but handled it well by being polite and taking care of the filthy pillows. This man proceeded to write a scathing review. Who was this man? A nut, a Trip Advisor "agent"? A competitor? Why would any good person do this?More importantly why would Trip Advisor give him the right to destroy my livelihood unless there is something in it for Trip Advisor?
Read on as a Trip Advisor agent writes an anonymous rebuttal to my complaint on this open forum. They did last October.

I use TripAdvisor all the time, am a Destination Expert but have only written one review, mainly because of time constraints and a surplus of reviews for anywhere I have stayed. Most people know to avoid extreme reviews on TA I think, whether they be outrageously negative or overly positive. When I'm looking at hotel reviews I only look for two things; answers to questions I have not covered on the site (such as walking time to a location) and the candid traveler pictures which are way more useful than the staged pictures on a hotel website

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.