Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotels contacting posters on tripadvisor.com about negative reviews?

Closed Thread

Old Apr 7, 08, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM PLT, Marriott Plat

I would love to hear what people thought about this amazing story!!

Last year, a Flyertalker posted a review of a Palm Springs hotel that many people stayed at as part of a DO. The hotel had been recently purchased and needless to say, there were a few things wrong.

Almost a year later, the owner of the hotel (who also is a member of Flyertalk) sent any email to the Flyertalker saying he should remove his negative post because it was costing him business. We have since found out that he sent this to other authors of negative reviews.

Then today the Flyertalker received a letter from the owner's lawyer that said the following:
"Therefore, please be advised that if the review is not removed with(in) 14 days of your receiving this notice, Mr. ******* will commence legal procedings against you for libel and for causing substantial financial damage to his business."

The review was 100% correct. Many of us personally witnessed everything that was written in the review.

Has anyone ever heard of a hotel threatening someone over their review on tripadvisor.com? Especially if it is TRUE?!?!

The Flyertalker has contacted tripadvisor and they are very interested to get involved. They now have been sent copies of all correspondence at their request.

Anyone have any experience here?

Last edited by olafman; Apr 7, 08 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 7, 08, 9:07 pm

My guess is that the letter is just a scare tactic. And googling "palm spring hotel mr. xxxxxallows one to narrow the list of hotels this could be to 1, and that 1 hotel doesn't exactly have glowing reviews. And I doubt the owner is harrassing the other dozen or so guests that posted very negative reviews.

Last edited by obscure2k; Apr 8, 08 at 11:06 am Reason: deleted personal information
Old Apr 7, 08, 9:11 pm

It is only libel if it isn't true.

Mr. [name deleted] should spent his money fixing his hotel instead of on legal fees. He sounds like a bully to me.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 8, 08 at 9:21 am Reason: To remove personal name reference
Old Apr 7, 08, 9:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Think they should post the letter with the review.

That won't be great for business.
Old Apr 7, 08, 10:37 pm

Programs: Lost it all!
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post

I second that.
Old Apr 8, 08, 12:59 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post

I like that idea. Though I wonder what legal issues might arise from this action.
Old Apr 8, 08, 1:01 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
How very disappointing that hotels are trying to use tactics like this to hide the truth. This is a country of FREE SPEECH, Mr [name deleted]!!

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 8, 08 at 9:22 am Reason: To remove personal name.
Old Apr 8, 08, 1:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk View Post
I like that idea. Though I wonder what legal issues might arise from this action.
I would just post it (perhaps with leaving out some details). On quick thought, the only risk from posting it that I can think of is the risk that arises from the recipient validating that they were a recipient of the letter; other than that I don't see any legal issues with a recipient sharing correspondence of this nature.

I've heard from hotel owners and hotel management that they cringe upon reading negative Tripadvisor reviews of their own place(s). All the more reason to post this letter there.
Old Apr 8, 08, 8:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I've heard from hotel owners and hotel management that they cringe upon reading negative Tripadvisor reviews of their own place(s). All the more reason to post this letter there.
The repeat of The Office that was on recently (Tivo, don't really know how recently, but in the last few weeks) had a slight spoof on that.

Dwight somehow had a beet farm agrio tourist place, and Pam and Jim were staying there to bust his chops, with these demands like "We need somebody to read us Harry Potter before bed"

He's like no, they are like "We'll post a review on TripAdvisor"

good product placement.

He read them the story.
Old Apr 8, 08, 8:45 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
I believe hotel management has the right to respond to specific reviews directly on Trip Advisor. If this guy really feels the review is unfair he should use that avenue. Threatening a reviewer with a lawsuit seems to go against the spirit of Trip Advisor.
Old Apr 8, 08, 9:08 am
Suspended

Based on the reviews I am so glad the hotel cancelled my reservation on me last year. Looks like I ended up the winner in that case
Old Apr 8, 08, 9:15 am

Programs: SPG Gold; UA 2P
Originally Posted by mpattdu View Post
I believe hotel management has the right to respond to specific reviews directly on Trip Advisor. If this guy really feels the review is unfair he should use that avenue. Threatening a reviewer with a lawsuit seems to go against the spirit of Trip Advisor.
Agreed. I respect when management makes responses to reviews because then I know they're at least active and trying to make changes. Threatening lawsuit is ridiculous. Glad it doesn't look like anyone is thinking of folding to the threats.
Old Apr 8, 08, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
The place is up for sale (at least according to the signs outside). I guess that they try to cut number of negative reviews.

Do people really check out TripAdvisor? I don't and if I have an issue I typically just send a fax to corporate and CC the GM.

I stayed at the DM during the DO last year and thought that the accommodation were acceptable, although obviously not luxurious.
Old Apr 8, 08, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2 View Post

Do people really check out TripAdvisor?

I VERY often do.
Old Apr 8, 08, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton & Hyatt Peon
Originally Posted by ozstamps View Post
I VERY often do.
That makes two of us. Especially if I'm staying with a non-chain or independently operated property. Even after making a booking with Priceline or on travel arranged by others I'll often read up to know what I'm getting into.

Anyone whose been to any event in the internet industry in the last 3 years will tell you that without a doubt, user reviews are here to stay. Most companies these days embrace this... trying to scare off consumers who post their opinion does not tend to end well. The only way to get better reviews is to provide better service (or sell the service level you have appropriately).

Search this Thread