Terminal Hopping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terminal Hopping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Don't know about the lounge situation, but you can add SMF to the disconnected list -- same applies to OMA (I think -- haven't been there in years, so it could have changed). Internationally, MAN and LGW are also disconnected, as is SYD (domestic and international terminals require a $$$ bus connection).

Also, to be accurate, ORD is only partially roamable. Terminal 5 is disconnected from the rest.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 1:33 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Happy to report that IND is now free to roam. Now, they just need to get a CRC in there.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I would call LAX connected only wrt staying on a particular airline. Otherwise, it's horrible. It took m 40 minutes to change terminals last time. They need a DFW style tram.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PJK
AMS is one of them; although you have to go though passport control and (one way) security when going from Schengen to non-Schengen...

AMS is all one terminal isn't it? Sure, there are different sets of gates and a border control in the middle, but it's still all in the same building.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dliesse
Also, to be accurate, ORD is only partially roamable. Terminal 5 is disconnected from the rest.
Absolutely- and the security lines at T5, which is the International terminal, can be nightmarish in the evening when all the transatlantics are loading up. My husband and I once flew to ORD on AA and then out on an AA partner out of T5. Never again.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gj83
To me it seems like most hubs I go through (CLT, ATL, ORD, DEN, IAD, etc) are more connected airside, but the midsized non-hubs are not connected (SYR). Super crazy international airports seem to be disconnected (SFO, LAX, JFK)
Before the remodel in the early 80s SYR used to have a common checkpoint in the middle of the terminal. After the remodel it went to two concourses each with their own checkpoint. Kinda like PBI but on an itty bitty scale. Now that the US Airways Club has been closed there for a while there really is no reason to wander between concourses anymore.

I kinda miss the old SYR. As a kid I used to think those chairs with the horrible coin operated TVs attached to them on the landside were the coolest things ever.

I used to live in Dallas before the Airtrain was added and have been through since its addition. Best thing ever to happen to that airport IMO.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
Originally Posted by dliesse
And T4 is only accessible if you know the secret entrance.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
BNA is free.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Interesting thread.

HEL/CPH/OSL/BRU/HAM/DUS/MUC/RIX: free to roam, remember Visa requirements concerning Schengen though.

TXL: all lounges (and just about everything else too) are landside.

ARN: different terminals, but I have succeeded in accessing Terminal 5 when flying out of Terminal 2 even though the transfer includes a landside bus.

FRA seems to be on the "disconnected" list. However, I 've been able to access the E gate area in Terminal 2 while flying out of Terminal 1. Maybe I was just lucky.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by tsastor
Interesting thread.

HEL/CPH/OSL/BRU/HAM/DUS/MUC/RIX: free to roam, remember Visa requirements concerning Schengen though.

TXL: all lounges (and just about everything else too) are landside.

ARN: different terminals, but I have succeeded in accessing Terminal 5 when flying out of Terminal 2 even though the transfer includes a landside bus.

FRA seems to be on the "disconnected" list. However, I 've been able to access the E gate area in Terminal 2 while flying out of Terminal 1. Maybe I was just lucky.
Master list updated. Thanks for you contribution tsastor!
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Disconnected:
ANC: A, B/C, and N are separate. Quite annoying for N passengers (CO, DL), as there is absolutely nothing in N--no lounges and only one small cafe (that admittedly serves decent halibut burgers). It's tiny and cramped, too.

I'm surprised to see BKK and LHR missing from your list. My memory is already fuzzy, but I think BKK might have some portions you can roam around, but good parts of the airport are separated. (Maybe not, though, except for a domestic departures area separated off from the rest of the terminal, which is all accessible to anyone flying internationally.)

And LHR has buses, but I seem to recall having to go through security after changing terminals, so are they landside? (Connecting from T4 to T5, it seems the hallway from the bus dumped us right in the middle of the main security area, but I'm not sure we could have exited out to the ground at that point.)

I should know this stuff, as I usually make it a point to wander and explore airports if I have a layover of at least an hour. (It's my exercise! ) At least in LHR, I had an excuse: I was too enthralled with the Concorde Room...
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
Originally Posted by redbeard911
I would call LAX connected only wrt staying on a particular airline. Otherwise, it's horrible. It took m 40 minutes to change terminals last time. They need a DFW style tram.

I've had good success using the American Eagle bus to transfer between T3, T4 and T5, each of which has a bus service to American Eagle. Once you get to American Eagle, you just hop the bus to the terminal of your choice, never been told I can't do this.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 4:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Off the top of my head here are some more not already listed (single terminal airports not included).

Originally Posted by sobore
Free to Roam List
AMS ATL AUS BUF BRU CLE CLT CPH CTA DEN DFW DUS HAM HEL HNL IAD MEM MSP MUC OAK ORD OSL PDX PHL PIT PVD RIX SEA SIN SLC SNA TXL VCE VIE
BAH BKK CGK HKG ICN KUL MUC NRT

Portions free to Roam List (Limited access)
ARN access to Terminal 5 when flying out of Terminal 2 even though the transfer includes a landside bus.
IAH(B,C,D,E) (CO, International, Bus to half of A w/ CO,DL,NW)
SFO(E,F) (AA/UA)
LAX(4,5) (AA/DL/Qantas)
LAX(6,7,8) (CO/UA)
LAX T6 & T5 using the underground tunnel gives access to T5 - T8 airside
MCO is only half and half (gates 1-59 on one, and 60+ the other).
PBI you cannot connect between the two terminal piers
BNA (domestic concourses are all connected, international terminal is not)
ZRH (Has main terminal (2 piers) and satellite terminal. Can freely wander around the main terminal.
ADL CHC DUD HLZ OOL WLG ZQN (all except international arrivals & departures)
SIN (LCC terminal is separate)
AMS BCN CPH FCO HEL WAW (schengen & non-schengen zones)

Disconnected
BDL BOS BWI CVG DCA DTW EWR FLL FRA IND JFK LAS LGA LGW MAN MCI MKE OMA PHX SAN SAT SJC SMF STL SYD TPA
AKL APW BNE CNS KIX LHR MEL NAN PER PPT SCL TBU VLI YVR
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Off the top of my head here are some more not already listed (single terminal airports not included).

BAH BKK CGK HKG ICN KUL MUC NRT

ADL CHC DUD HLZ OOL WLG ZQN (all except international arrivals & departures)
SIN (LCC terminal is separate)
AMS BCN CPH FCO HEL WAW (schengen & non-schengen zones)

AKL APW BNE CNS KIX LHR MEL NAN PER PPT SCL TBU VLI YVR
Wow nice list Kiwi! ^ I will update the first post, Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
DCA is partial. USair runs a shuttle bus between the gates 23-34 pier and the gates 35-45 pier. You catch the shuttle at gate 36 and I think 23 or 24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.