FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Terminal Hopping (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/799872-terminal-hopping.html)

sobore Mar 10, 2008 10:21 am

Terminal Hopping

What other airports are configured like ORD where once you pass security you can freely walk between terminals.
I am interest in terms of using an airlines’ lounge but flying on another carrier.

Free to Roam List
AMS ATL AUS BAH BDL BKK BUF BRU CGK CLE CLT CPH CTA DEN DFW DUS HAM HEL HKG HNL IAD ICN KUL MEM MSP MUC NRT OAK ORD OSL PDX PHL PIT PVD RIX ROC SEA SIN SLC SNA TXL VCE VIE

Portions free to Roam List (Limited access)
ARN access to Terminal 5 when flying out of Terminal 2 even though the transfer includes a landside bus.
IAH(B,C,D,E) (CO, International, Bus to half of A w/ CO,DL,NW)
SFO(E,F) (AA/UA)
LAX(4,5) (AA/DL/Qantas)
LAX(6,7,8) (CO/UA)
LAX T6 & T5 using the underground tunnel gives access to T5 - T8 airside
MCO is only half and half (gates 1-59 on one, and 60+ the other).
PBI you cannot connect between the two terminal piers
BNA (domestic concourses are all connected, international terminal is not)
ZRH (Has main terminal (2 piers) and satellite terminal. Can freely wander around the main terminal.
ADL CHC DUD HLZ OOL WLG ZQN (all except international arrivals & departures)
SIN (LCC terminal is separate)
STL (B, C, and D are all connected) (A and E are separate)
AMS BCN CPH FCO HEL WAW (schengen & non-schengen zones)
DCA (USair runs a shuttle bus between the gates 23-34 pier and the gates 35-45 pier. You catch the shuttle at gate 36 and I think 23 or 24)

Disconnected
AKL APW BNE BOS BWI CAI CNS CVG DTW EWR FLL FRA IND JFK KIX LAS LGA LGW LHR MAN MEL MCI MKE NAN OMA PER PHX PPT SAN SAT SCL SJC SMF SYD TBU TPA VLI YVR

AAJetMan Mar 10, 2008 10:47 am

Originally Posted by sobore (Post 9386595)
What other airports are configured like ORD where once you pass security you can freely walk between terminals.
I am interest in terms of using an airlines’ lounge but flying on another carrier.

At DFW you can walk between A,B,C and D. Did it Saturday.
You'd need the SkyLink to get to E. The SkyLink also accesses A,B,C and D.

goalie Mar 10, 2008 10:53 am

at sfo, you can walk between the ua and aa sections of terminal 3. technically the same terminal but ua is in "f" (gates 68-90) and aa is in "e" (gates 60-67). don't know about the rest of the airport tho

deubster Mar 10, 2008 11:00 am

At IAH (Houston) you can't really walk between terminals, but you can ride the tram in the basement and stay airside.

rkkwan Mar 10, 2008 11:07 am

Originally Posted by deubster (Post 9386835)
At IAH (Houston) you can't really walk between terminals, but you can ride the tram in the basement and stay airside.

That is false. The basement train at IAH is landside.

There is the TerminaLink train above ground between terminals B, C and D/E that's airside. And C/D/E are all interconnected so you can walk round and round.

Continental has a bus that goes airside to the northside of Terminal A, but they are for passengers connecting to/from Colgan Air's CO Connection or DL/NW flights there.

Jalinth Mar 10, 2008 11:49 am

Seatac allows you to wander pretty freely. Not sure about the "international" departures in the South terminal, but otherwise no problem hopping between the difference concourses and the North satellite on their internal trams and/or walking.

Mr H Mar 10, 2008 11:55 am

SIN has an airside guided railway thing to take you between terminals. I used it to go to the T3 SKL when my flight was in T2.

elCheapoDeluxe Mar 10, 2008 12:10 pm

When I'm out on the tarmac at SJC terminal C disembarking via the airstairs, I could make a run for terminal A, but there aren't many ground level entrances over there ;) At least the UA/NW/CO/US portion of SJC is now behind the same security checkpoint as AS/DL.

OAK, DEN, IAD, ATL. Are we counting CLE, PHL, CLT, PIT - which are all just different arms off of one beast? Or MSP which is just a big donut with legs? Not counting AUS, SNA, PVD, BUF, etc - they aren't really different concourses. Similarly not counting airprots like CIC. MCI is the anti-connected airport.

jezsik Mar 10, 2008 2:23 pm

Using a different airline's lounge

Originally Posted by sobore (Post 9386595)

I've tried this on a few occasions. Unless I was flying out on their plane (or their partners' plane), they wouldn't let me in.

elCheapoDeluxe Mar 10, 2008 2:28 pm

That all depends on how you're trying to get access. For example, if you are flying on AA but have a UA RCC membership, there is no problem using a RCC somewhere even when you aren't flying AA. But trying to get into a US lounge won't work because your RCC membership only allows access when you have a same day US boarding pass. DL/CO/NW all allow access to each others lounges for lounge members regardless of same day travel, but trying to use that NW WC membership to get access to an AS lounge when you're flying some other carrier won't work.

PJK Mar 10, 2008 2:30 pm

AMS is one of them; although you have to go though passport control and (one way) security when going from Schengen to non-Schengen...

YVR Cockroach Mar 10, 2008 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by PJK (Post 9388193)
AMS is one of them; although you have to go though passport control and (one way) security when going from Schengen to non-Schengen...

You do mean the other way around (security non-Schengen to Schengen).

You could apply this to MXP and FCO is such a case.

YVR Cockroach Mar 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jalinth (Post 9387187)
Seatac allows you to wander pretty freely. Not sure about the "international" departures in the South terminal, but otherwise no problem hopping between the difference concourses and the North satellite on their internal trams and/or walking.

Completely free to wander around. South satellite is also used by NW domestic flights as well as the odd AS/QX one.

sobore Mar 10, 2008 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe (Post 9387324)
When I'm out on the tarmac at SJC terminal C disembarking via the airstairs, I could make a run for terminal A, but there aren't many ground level entrances over there ;) At least the UA/NW/CO/US portion of SJC is now behind the same security checkpoint as AS/DL.

OAK, DEN, IAD, ATL. Are we counting CLE, PHL, CLT, PIT - which are all just different arms off of one beast? Or MSP which is just a big donut with legs? Not counting AUS, SNA, PVD, BUF, etc - they aren't really different concourses. Similarly not counting airprots like CIC. MCI is the anti-connected airport.

ECD,

Are you saying that all of these are free to roam post security?

OAK, DEN, IAD, ATL. CLE, PHL, CLT, PIT

elCheapoDeluxe Mar 10, 2008 9:05 pm

Yep - to the best of my knowledge OAK, DEN, IAD, ATL, CLE, PHL, CLT, PIT, MSP, SEA, ORD, PDX, AUS, SNA, PVD, BUF, HNL are all free to roam. I'm sure there are more.