Wiki Posts
Search

AAA card - Do hotels check ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2008, 6:41 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Beckles
I was asked to show the card for the first time in quite a while at the Doubletree Club LAS Airport a few weeks ago, and the discount was only 5%.
that shows again and again that trust depends on 'appearance' ...
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:56 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Rudi
that shows again and again that trust depends on 'appearance' ...
I have no idea what you're talking about Rudi ... okay, maybe some idea ...
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA,DL,HH,CO
When booking ahead I put in my AAA card, and have NEVER been asked to show it at check in. If I stop on the road and get a room as a walk-in and ask for the AAA rate, I am asked for the actual card about 10% of the time.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
I usually stay at a Hilton hotel of some sort: Embassy Suites, Homewood, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.

I've gotten AARP, AAA, and government rates and never been asked to provide proof.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:25 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
I just got asked for my card at the Miami International Hotel (the one in the airport). Couldn't believe it. It wasn't in my wallet because when I'm away from home, and not renting a car, I leave everything at home I don't need in my wallet. The guy at the desk refused me my discount. The next morning someone else gave it to me when I was checking out. I have been asked before, but I can't remember where. It's pretty hit and miss.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
I've been asked several times in the past few years at Hampton Inns -- I don't pay attention because the AAA card is one that I always carry while traveling - never know when their road service will come in handy, if not for road service then for a discount at a spur-of-the-moment museum stop!

But for AARP - I just recite the number off my list on my PDA,and that's been good enough.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
40$ ???

They want 67$ for joining !

I think I just pass and book...
I hope you do and get caught.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
It seems like Hotels rarely check anymore. Or maybe is it that motels tend to ask for the card more often as opposed to hotels?
Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, WN
I havent had a hotel check my AAA card in the past 5 years EXCEPT for in europe. I had a marriott reservation in Munich and they asked for it.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by SANDIEGO
If you get the Entertainment Book, there is a coupon in the back for 50% off AAA membership fee or sign-up fee. If you don't have book, find a friend who does and ask for their coupon. Or maybe there is a similiar coupon available online.

I recently used AAA for a great service. I needed a new car battery, and they came to my driveway, tested the battery, decide it needed replacing (we already knew this)
and replaced the battery in about 15 minutes. It did cost about $20-30 more than getting jumped and then driving the car to a shop to replace it, but in the middle of a busy day, the convenience and time saved was absolutely worth it.
Thanks for the coupon info-I actually took out AARP recently for their automobile service plan - it was cheaper than AAA- but when it comes due I will switch back to AAA with the coupon-I know some people think why not just take out AAA- I dont travel for a living so dont necessarily use the perks
Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:09 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Thanks for this thread.

I couldn't work out the 3 number pin for my Australian Autoclub (AAA on the back) so tried the 16 number and it was accepted. It gave a 10% discount for each of the Hiltons I tried.

Great. ^
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
I realize this is a really old thread but didn't want to create a new one for such a simple question.

If the reservation and hilton honors account are in my name, but my wife is staying with me...is her AAA membership good enough for the discount? I do not have my own. She will be present at check-in and can show her card if need be. Didn't know if the different names on the AAA account and hilton account would be a problem.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That shouldn't be a problem. 99% chance you won't be asked to show the card anyway. 0.99% chance they ask for the card, but don't bother adding her name to the reservation because, frankly, they don't care. It's a marketing promotion - nothing really more than that.

If the hotel insists on adding her name to the reservation as Guest 2, they can certainly do that without affecting the reservation and points-earning ability.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
Thanks for this thread.

I couldn't work out the 3 number pin for my Australian Autoclub (AAA on the back) so tried the 16 number and it was accepted. It gave a 10% discount for each of the Hiltons I tried.

Great. ^
If you need a generic 3-digit autoclub code to use for Hilton, use 430. It still works - I used it two weeks ago.

The only reason I do this is because (a) it's infuriating that Hilton won't save/store my real AAA number, (b) I don't have it memorized, and (c) when I travel I do actually bring the card and show it if asked. (I'm not promoting using 430 if you aren't a member of an autoclub...it's just a workaround for their stupid website.)
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:07 pm

Of all my travels with AAA rates, I've never had the card checked, until last week at a Marriott. I actually didn't have the card with me, but they accepted the mobile AAA card, FWIW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.