AAA card - Do hotels check ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAA card - Do hotels check ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:30 pm
aku

Programs: UA 1MM, Marr/SPG LT Plat, HH Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5*, BW LT Diam
Over some 500 stays on AAA rates the past few years, I've been asked maybe five times. Two of those times were at Hyatt properties (Regency and Place) in the last week. Maybe it's a better-enforced policy at Hyatt.

I figure I've saved about $4000/year using AAA rates at hotels ($70/night below any other rate at one place I frequent), not to mention Hertz, so it's worth the expense to actually buy a membership. Same for Entertainment card.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:42 pm

Yes, I have been asked many times. Usually at hotels that offered breakfasts or substantial discounts for members. My membership fee paid for itself after two stays.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've been asked for the card on occasion, a couple of places actually enter the numter into the reservation to confirm they saw the card. One (think it was a Hampton in Mass) said their audtors required proof of any discount cards or plans for the discount rate.

If you don't want to spend whatever your local AAA charges, and you are 50 or over, consider AARP, it's a bit less money, and the discount is close to the AAA one for hotels.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 1:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I get checked about 10% of the time at Starwood hotels. My AAA and AARP memberships pay for themselves many times over each year just from the hotel discounts. I often find rates that are $10-$75 cheaper than the normal rates. Also sometimes the cancellation policy is more liberal. You could be facing a lot of inconvenience and/or expense for trying to use these discounts when you are not entitled to them.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 3:26 pm

Hotel discounts, yes. It's also mighty-fine for dead batteries, keys locked in car, flat tires, stuck in a snow bank (hasn't happened to me). A quick call day or night (even Thanksgiving morning at 0600)... That is how ours earns its keep.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 6:31 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Also, keep in mind that AAA cards get printed for 2-years validity (for example a card issued in April 2007, is valid through April 2009 according to the card - even though you're only paid up through April 2008 - and, though I'm not 100% sure, I think if you were to lose your card in say, February 2008 and ask them to send you a new one, it'd show a validity date of February 2010 - of course, I'm not 100% sure of that) - based on this, you can get away with paying for it only once every 2 years if you think that you're only going to use for hotels - if you're going to use it for other things (like maps, travel agency services, etc), you would have to pay the annual fee...
Just FYI this is not true for all AAA clubs, even if it is true for yours. Mine still come with validity for one year only, new card sent every single year.

But. They send out the new card with the renewal invoice (before you pay for the renewal). So same net effect I guess.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
4 PTS. in Kingston ON....

...has asked me every time...and the 4 pts centre ville montreal asked once.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 7:56 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) Opera 8.65 [en])

Asked twice in the last year... Westin Scottsdale and Hertz Scottsdale (Penske)
Old Apr 18, 2008, 8:08 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
my swiss automobil club 'TCS' (Touring Club Schweiz. International Club Code 429) is linked with all AAA and CAA (Canada) rebate programs with the "Show Your Card & Save"-program. My TCS membership card shows that logo on the backside.

In North America I have been asked to show my membership about in 10% of hotel stays and had no problem (sometimes I had to explain the AAA-TCS link).

It was more difficult to get the rebates (but after some discussions I did always succeed) at amusement park's ticket counters.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, PCR Plat/Amb
I use the AAA rate at all flavors of IC hotels and they never ask for the card. I really wish they would, because I always have it with me!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I wonder what international club code the german ADAC has

Edit: 383 !
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:51 am

Programs: SWA, UA, Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Aaa

I'm asked at least 95% of time...
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by srfrgirl4
I'm asked at least 95% of time...
Always at the same hotel?
Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Rudi
my swiss automobil club 'TCS' (Touring Club Schweiz. International Club Code 429) ...
I'm a member of the RAC (Royal Automobile Club) in the UK. It seems that only the AA (Automobile Association) has the necessary 3-digit code. Pity.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:42 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Maybe 1-2% of the time,
Hyatts seem the most likely, especially if they are offering their breakfast and 10% sale
The card pays for itself within 2 or 3 discounts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.