AAA card - Do hotels check ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAA card - Do hotels check ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
As I believe was mentioned above, the Hilton HHonors website makes you enter your AAA number online in order to see the AAA rates -- it's done this for the last couple of years or so. That would certainly reduce the need for the desk clerk to ask to see the card. @:-)
Not at all. I renewed my membership last year - but before that, my coverage with National (corp. contract) was better than anything AAA could offer. So I had let my membership lapse for 2 years - but AAA Mid-Atlantic sends out cards with an expiration date of up to 4 years in advance, even though the membership has offically expired. Hilton's site readily accepted my card during the lapse. I actually tried entering random numbers into the site one day when I was bored waiting the Admiarls' Club, and noticed you can deviate from your own member number and it still works, lol.

Actually, I do believe the policy to check the AAA card at Hilton is to avoid such fraudulent behavior, but unfortunately for Hilton, front desk incompetence is a far greater problem.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Ritz
Not at all. I renewed my membership last year - but before that, my coverage with National (corp. contract) was better than anything AAA could offer. So I had let my membership lapse for 2 years - but AAA Mid-Atlantic sends out cards with an expiration date of up to 4 years in advance, even though the membership has offically expired. Hilton's site readily accepted my card during the lapse. I actually tried entering random numbers into the site one day when I was bored waiting the Admiarls' Club, and noticed you can deviate from your own member number and it still works, lol.

Actually, I do believe the policy to check the AAA card at Hilton is to avoid such fraudulent behavior, but unfortunately for Hilton, front desk incompetence is a far greater problem.
The system can be gamed, certainly, like any system -- but most website users probably enter their own AAA number rather than a made-up or expired one or their friend/relative/neighbor's, etc.

Anyhow, I said that it reduces the need to check the card -- not that it eliminates it. (These things, like most in life, are probabilistic rather than deterministic.)

As for desk clerk "incompetence," I haven't seen that as a problem at Hiltons in general.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:55 am

Programs: AA, US, SPG, Hilton, Avis
I would say my personal experience is that I get checked about 15% of the time at Hampton Inns and about 2% everywhere else. And that is after the number is already in the reservation from the website. This seems to support the free breakfast = ask theory....
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:59 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Pedler
I would say my personal experience is that I get checked about 15% of the time at Hampton Inns and about 2% everywhere else. And that is after the number is already in the reservation from the website. This seems to support the free breakfast = ask theory....
Isn't it free breakfast for anyone anyway at Hampton Inns?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:08 pm
Commander Catcop

IN the past few years the ONLY place that asked for my Triple A card is the Four Point at EWR. When I could not find it they wanted to charge me a different rate! (I did find it buried under lots of other shiny cards.)

Many times I just show the card to save the question of asking for it.

AAA is also good for discounts at Lenscrafters and Payless Shoes and other places (I believe the Circle Line NYC takes it too.) The hotel savings and the discount at Lenscrafters pays for the annual membership.

I have AAA Plus for the free towing as a passenger in a car. WHY?

I never learned to drive
Old May 4, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum Premier; HH Diamond; Hertz President's Circle; Avis PS; AMEX Plat
I was asked 3 weeks ago at the Residence Inn in Joplin, MO. It was the first time in years that I have been asked. Great hotel, by the way.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:49 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
stayed at the westin dfw last thurs on the aaa rate, didnt ask and it included breakfast
Old May 7, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA 2P, Bonvoy Gold
I frequently use AAA discounts at Hyatt and Starwood, I am a memeber but have never been asked to show card upon check-in.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: Priority Club Spire Elite.,Hilton,Rapid Rewards,AA
From what I can remember....

20 % of the time at Holiday Inn chain members
20 % of the time at Hilton chain hotels ( primarily Hampton Inns )
(I know, strange, since I do always type the code in at reservation time )

Last edited by SoonerRed; May 7, 2008 at 12:39 pm Reason: small clarification
Old May 8, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: IHG Amb, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Avis P'sC, AAA-Plus
During the past 8 years (time since AAA member) I haven't been asked at Holiday Inn family of hotels and only once at a Hilton family of hotels.
Old May 8, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I've been asked a few times at assorted Hyatts.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:34 am

I was asked at Marriott Pinnacle in Vancouver recently and at various other small hotels across Western Canada.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 2:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM | DL Gold | AA Gold | Marriott Platinum | Hilton Gold
Was asked for my AAA card for the first time EVER (in many years and hundreds of nights' worth of stays at Hilton & Marriott) at the ANC Homewood Suites... Turns out I didn't have the card with me. I hate carrying all those cards and usually scan a copy of them and keep the scan files on my PDA so I have all the information on them but don't have to lug the cards around - they asked me to FAX a copy to them before they would honor the rate. It was a pretty good rate (quite a bit more than the usual AAA discount) and was an eight night stay for TWO of their few largest sized suites so perhaps they were hoping to filter me out??
Old Jun 18, 2008, 4:46 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I was asked at BOS Long Wharf last week; like previous poster I had multiple rooms at a much lower than normal rate...
Old Jun 18, 2008, 6:36 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I was asked to show the card for the first time in quite a while at the Doubletree Club LAS Airport a few weeks ago, and the discount was only 5%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.