Reload this Page >

AAA card - Do hotels check ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAA card - Do hotels check ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2008, 6:27 am

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
I can't think of any time I have been asked for a AAA card upon check in in the past few years. Generally HoJos, Starwood, Hilton and the Comfort Inn up in Freeport Maine (as often as I can go with my kids).

I don't even carry my AAA card with me. I have my number and the phone number in my Blackberry.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I haven't been asked in years when booking with the AAA rate. However, sometimes my corporate rate is better so I don't use the AAA rate. I do, however, carry my card. I mainly use the maps from AAA.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
gotta love FT

I have been a hospitality consultant for a bit now and here is what I have noticed...
If the AAA discount is > 10% : ask
If the AAA discount includes breadkfast: ask
If the AAA discount gets you an upgrade: ask (only seen 2 hotels thus far)
Otherwise: use it as a way to connect with the guest when they "forgot it".
Most of this has already been posted but just thought I would give my 2 cents.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:21 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I wonder what international club code the german ADAC has

Edit: 383 !
Vorteile in Amerika

Schonen Sie Ihre Urlaubskasse und profitieren Sie auch auf Reisen in Amerika von Ihrer Mitgliedschaft im ADAC. Achten Sie einfach vor Ort auf den "Show your card & save"-Aufkleber und geben Sie auf Anfrage den ADAC Club Code 00383 an.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I find it hard to believe that so many people are too cheap to pay the AAA membership fee.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by famtrav
I haven't been asked in years when booking with the AAA rate. However, sometimes my corporate rate is better so I don't use the AAA rate. I do, however, carry my card. I mainly use the maps from AAA.
I agree. I do carry the card with me at all times though, as in the Mid-Atlantic region, they generally require you have it on you during a service call. As for any hotel checking - I stay in hotels about 100 nights a year, for the last 15 years - and I believe i was asked once. However, I almost exclusively stay within the Hilton family of hotels - so maybe they just aren't told to ask.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA
I've only been asked a couple times over the past decade... Out of the blue I was asked last week at the Marriott Grand Cayman... times before (this year) at the same hotel I wasn't asked.

Not a big deal - I usually have my card with me.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:56 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I was asked last year at a hotel in NY for my AAA card when I booked the AAA rate.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
i was never asked, when i was a AAA member.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Just FYI this is not true for all AAA clubs, even if it is true for yours. Mine still come with validity for one year only, new card sent every single year.

But. They send out the new card with the renewal invoice (before you pay for the renewal). So same net effect I guess.
My club sent out a one year card, and then a sticker w/ the renewal invoice to cover the date to extend it for a year. (Yes, it looks horribly tacky.) Reminds me of the AA status cards in 2002 when they did the same thing due to the auto-renewal of everyone's status that year.

I have been asked twice in my lifetime for my AAA card at a hotel, which I figure works out to about 1% of the time.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 1:36 am

they asked at planet hollywood

NRMA in Australia is an affilliate
here are the others
http://ww2.aaa.com/aaa/215/discounts...onal/index.htm so im ok to go

Last edited by tinkybelle; Apr 20, 2008 at 1:43 am
Old Apr 20, 2008, 1:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, going for Gold this year
If you get the Entertainment Book, there is a coupon in the back for 50% off AAA membership fee or sign-up fee. If you don't have book, find a friend who does and ask for their coupon. Or maybe there is a similiar coupon available online.

I recently used AAA for a great service. I needed a new car battery, and they came to my driveway, tested the battery, decide it needed replacing (we already knew this)
and replaced the battery in about 15 minutes. It did cost about $20-30 more than getting jumped and then driving the car to a shop to replace it, but in the middle of a busy day, the convenience and time saved was absolutely worth it.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 1:59 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
As has been said - gotta love FT!
I had been wondering how I could access an AAA discount (being an auto club member in Queensland, Australia), but I came across this thread, read the discussion, looked at the back of my member card and sure enough sure that tiny "show your card and save" logo!
It's only been about 15 years that I have been a member, and never really had call to look at the back of the card in such a way......
Hats off to Flyertalk... yet again!
Old Apr 20, 2008, 2:14 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
I usually take mine out when I check in.

Easier that way.

And AAA has saved my butt so many times...for me, the yearly membership pays for itself in one tow (I have the 100 mile tow plan since I live in the sticks). And I usually have a minimum of one tow a year.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Ritz
...I stay in hotels about 100 nights a year, for the last 15 years - and I believe i was asked once. However, I almost exclusively stay within the Hilton family of hotels - so maybe they just aren't told to ask.
As I believe was mentioned above, the Hilton HHonors website makes you enter your AAA number online in order to see the AAA rates -- it's done this for the last couple of years or so. That would certainly reduce the need for the desk clerk to ask to see the card. @:-)

I've occasionally been asked to show a card at various hotel chains over the years.

But, as others have pointed out, AAA membership isn't just for hotel (and other, e.g. admissions) discounts. I've gotten maps and tourbooks from them each year, and occasionally had them send help when my car's battery was dead (no extra charge). I used to buy no-fee traveler's cheques from them (it's been years since I've used TCs, though). As well, I've sometimes used their smog inspection and auto inspection services (those are fee services, though).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.