Wiki Posts
Search

Bombardier CRJ200 experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:51 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by cblaisd

I have taught my children, upon seeing a CRJ200 to chant "evil" "evil" "evil"
Very funny! My 9-year old flies with me often enough that he now groans when I inform him of any itinerary legs that have been booked on a "Canadian Torture Chamber".
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:52 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I find the ERJ vastly more comfortable than the CRJ. Like others have said, the ONLY place you ever want to sit on a CRJ is 1B or 1C. This allows for a little extra legroom and the ability to get off the piece of crap as quickly as possible.

Not only the the fuselage curve inwards for the window seat, the window is at the eye-level of a toddler.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:08 am

Programs: AC*E SPG*G CO*Silver Hyatt*Plat
Like many others stated, 1B/1C are the only viable options. Im 6'6" and make some NFL Linemen look tiny which makes the CRJs the worst option around (bring on the DASH, Saab, ERJ anytime compared to the CRJ). Curve in fuselage takes leg and head/shoulder room on the window seat.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: NWA-Silver ~ Hilton-Diamond
CRJ200s

I travel with a rolling laptop bag... I have to make sure I have an aisle seat in order for it to fit under the seat in front. I would recommend waiting to get to the airport kiosk to see the available seating... most of the time you can select a location next to an empty seat.
Unfortunately, it is near impossible to work on your laptop on these regional planes.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by okidatarep
I travel with a rolling laptop bag... I have to make sure I have an aisle seat in order for it to fit under the seat in front. I would recommend waiting to get to the airport kiosk to see the available seating... most of the time you can select a location next to an empty seat.
Unfortunately, it is near impossible to work on your laptop on these regional planes.
Try doing Photoshop on a CRJ in a window seat...
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I really can't say I like one better than another. They both stink. The EMB-120 row 9 is a nicer option than either! The real difference is between the CRJ-700 and the EMB-170/190. The EMB-170/190 will win any day of the week! Usually SkyWest is my favorite regional carrier given the choices, but I will dump SkyWest for a ShuttleAmerica EMB-170 so fast it leaves my mouse smoking.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:20 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
Originally Posted by stupidhead
I'
And as for any plane that doesn't have a jet engine.....they should NOT be flying. This is the 21st century.
Intresting, my favorite aircraft is the EMB120 closely followed by the Q400. I actually enjoy being out on the ramp and looking at the planes. You should remember that All Planes Are Created Equal, the only plane more equal than others is the A380, it's as big as a pig.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by okidatarep
I would recommend waiting to get to the airport kiosk to see the available seating... most of the time you can select a location next to an empty seat.
While this would certainly be ideal, the RJ's that I routinely fly almost never have two adjacent empty seats at check in. YMMV.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:54 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by prismwiz
Intresting, my favorite aircraft is the EMB120....
Oooh, another fan.

One of my favorite days of flying ever was SMF-SFO-SBA-LAX-SNA-LAX-SBA-SFO-SMF.

All on EMB120s.

Fantastic.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Being that I've never flown on a turbo-prop, I think I'd rather it be on a Brasillia than an ATR or Dash8... though the newest ATR72 or Q400 should be as smooth/quiet or smoother/quieter than an ERJ or CRJ.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:09 am

Programs: BA
Those who dislike the CRJ-200 will be pleased to know it is out of production now, although Bombardier built over 1,000 of them, it significantly outsold the longer, thinner Embraer.

Bombardier realised the issue though, and for the CRJ-700/900, which are basically just lengthened versions of the aircraft, they re-engineered the floor to be lower. This cut the underfloor stowage space available but put the windows more in line and gave more elbowroom at the critical point.

The A320 seems roomier than the 737, because it is. The Airbus fuselage is 6" wider than the "equivalent" Boeing, which has been used on the 707/727/737/757 unchanged for 50 years, over which time people have got notably larger. As Airbus noticed. Most airlines choose seats 1" wider each in the A320, and the extra is noticeable, as commented on above. Northwest, though, in a triumph of engineering department standardisation over passenger comfort, used the same seats as in their 757s, and just have a 6" wider aisle.

Statements that the latest ATR72/Q400 are as quiet and vibration-free inside as jets are just inaccurate. Don't sit anywhere near the prop line. The Q400 also has significant vibration when full flaps are deployed on approach.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:21 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I dislike all Canadair CRJ models, although the window of the CR9, at least you can almost see out of. I never understood the point of the window being so low.

I'm a fan of the ERJ, particularly if I am seated in the one-seat side of the airplane. There you have the best of both worlds.

But all things being equal, I'd rather be in a small airbus or a 737. I've not seen any A318s over on the US side of the pond, although AF does a fairly good business with them.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by etch5895
I've not seen any A318s over on the US side of the pond, although AF does a fairly good business with them.
Frontier, Mexicana and LAN Chile have A318s. You are right, it has not been a good seller, just like the small 737-600 has not been.

I never understood the point of the window being so low.
It was a manufacturing compromise between existing business jet tooling (which the CRJ was based on) and the need to provide freight holds and baggage space for an airliner-full of passengers. The CRJ-900 is longer and was thus able to reduce the hold height by depressing the floor, without losing too much capacity.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by MKEbound
What ever you do, DO NOT sit in the window seat of the CRJ200.
I survived 12A on a CRJ-200. The leg room sucked, but for a 1.5 hour flight it was tolerable.

The most annoying part was that you have to crane your neck in a horribly awkward down position to look out the window.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by warreng24
I survived 12A on a CRJ-200. The leg room sucked, but for a 1.5 hour flight it was tolerable.

The most annoying part was that you have to crane your neck in a horribly awkward down position to look out the window.
Yesh, it's does not good for me. I disagree with you because CRJ is very little tight but, it has no room for me. I preferable that I am flying on ERJ instead CRJ. I think EMB-170/190 is much better instead CRJ-200. I took on CRJ years ago from CVG-MHT & MHT-ATL back in 2000. I remember that I flew on CRJ but, it was not very comfortable for me. I preferred CRJ-900 is much better. It does have more legroom for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.