Wiki Posts
Search

Bombardier CRJ200 experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass
Bombardier CRJ200 experience?

It seems that most of my travels find me on Continental via ExpressJet's Embraer ERJ-145. Although small planes aren't popular, I've actually grow quite fond of it. I book early enough to where I get the single seat (1 + 2 configuration). The armrest on the window can be pulled up, provided extra room. And even though at 6'4" I'm the size of an NFL lineman, I have plenty of room both in width and pitch. My co-workers think I'm crazy, but I seek out flights on the ERJ-145.

I had a bad experience on a Continental flight via Colgan Air where I got stuck on a Saab 340. I have more room in my car. I literally had to "hug" the seat in front of me with my legs and I'm still not sure if I actually sat fully in the seat.

That leads to my question. I'm facing a couple of upcoming trips through Continental where the Embraer is either not an option, or a very bad one. I'm seeing Bombardier CRJ200 via Chautauqua more and more. Can anyone tell me about that plane and how it compares to the ERJ-145? I have a bad feeling about the 2 + 2 configuration, but the seat width actually seems a little better than the ERJ-145. If I grab a window seat on the CRJ200, will I be able to move the window armrest up to provide extra room for both me and my travel partner?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:48 am

I'm a bit confused - the ERJ-145 has 17.3" wide seats with a 31" pitch in UA, CO, and US configurations. This is almost identical to the Saab 340 for US & UA. Colgan must have a smaller configuration of the Saab - I know AA cuts a couple of inches off the seat pitch. As for the CRJ-200, it is 31" pitch and 17.5-18.5" width on CO, so the CRJ is about the same size seat as on the ERJ. Except that it is two seats on each side of the aisle, instead of one and two.

I've flown the CRJ a couple of times, fly the ERJ lots, haven't observed much difference (of course, I'm short and fit in any seat just fine, so I'm not sure I'd have noticed).

Last edited by deubster; Jan 11, 2008 at 8:53 am Reason: To remove evidence of stupidity.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
IMHO the CRJ200 is the most uncomfortable plane ever built...and I have flown quite a few segments on Saab 340s.

Although the CRJ200 seat width and pitch are better on most airlines than for the Saab, that doesn't take into account the advantage of being in the single seat (where you can spread out into both the aisle and toward the window). Based on that, where there is a choice, I always choose the Saab (and the single seat side) over a CRJ200.

I have never flown on the ERJ145, so I can't compare those for you.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
CRJ200's are VERY similar to ERJ145's. On a plus side, there are overhead bins on both sides (as opposed to just one on the right side), so there is more space. The downside si the absence of a single seat (I kinda like that).
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I prefer the ERJ to the CRJ for a few reasons, the most important being is that a majority of CRJs are operated by CHQ (Chautauqua Airlines) while only a small fraction of ERJs are flown by them.

I don't like the seating arrangement on the CRJ either, it is much more claustrophobic than the ERJ (IMO).
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
My main complaint with the ERJ is, due to the small fuselage cross-section, any window seat (including the single-seat side) has the foot room cut in half by the circular shape of the fuselage. For this reason, any time I fly an ERJ I pick the aisle seat on the 2-seat side. To get a seat that's reasonably quiet (the RR Allison 250 is loud for such a small engine) you need to be somewhere infront of row 10. This leaves 8 seats that are acceptable in terms of foot room AND noise (plus 12B where the extra legroom outweighs the noise issue). 9 acceptable seats out of 40-50 makes it tough to chose that a/c if given ofther options.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:46 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Welcome to Flyertalk.

What ever you do, DO NOT sit in the window seat of the CRJ200.

The cabin on the 200 is shorter so the curve of the fuselage cuts into your space.

The CRJ200 is by far the most uncomfortable plane ever build to ride it, but he aisle is much better than the window.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:36 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FT!

I also vastly prefer the ERJ's over the CRJ200. I've had to sit in the window my last two trips on a US/Air Wisconsin CRJ200 (was flying with Mrs. dstan and 'took one for the team' ) - I'm not as tall as the OP and I found it very cramped. If you must fly the CRJ200, I'd definitely go for an aisle seat. Unfortunately, there's no extra legroom in the exit row, either.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:44 pm

Neither plane is much fun to fly, but I agree that a window seat on the CRJ 200 is about as bad as it gets. Try for 1B or 1C on the CRJ-- while these aren't good seats, they're the least bad for a tall person. You can angle your legs around the bulkhead for a little more leg room.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Hartmann
I prefer the ERJ to the CRJ for a few reasons, the most important being is that a majority of CRJs are operated by CHQ (Chautauqua Airlines) while only a small fraction of ERJs are flown by them.

I don't like the seating arrangement on the CRJ either, it is much more claustrophobic than the ERJ (IMO).
So I take it you have some sort of beef with CHQ?? Seriously - I've always found the CRJ's to be pretty much interchangable, regardless of the operator. I also generally prefer the ERJ's, mostly because of the 2x1 seating configuration. Although, the worst RJ flight I've ever been on was on a American Eagle ERJ-135. Not sure if it was just that particular plane or what, but I was seated in row 2, and the noise was deafening.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 4:27 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by SixAlpha
Although, the worst RJ flight I've ever been on was on a American Eagle ERJ-135. Not sure if it was just that particular plane or what, but I was seated in row 2, and the noise was deafening.
Last two times I was on the US/AWE CRJ200's, we sat in Row 3 and I noticed that it was relatively quiet at takeoff, but then seemed to get louder once we were at altitude. Not sure why. It's been a while since I've been on an ERJ, but I usually grab the exit, which is further back.

Either way, sound-isolating earbuds (or noise-canceling headphones) are your friend! ^
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:58 pm

I'm not a fan of regional jets, regardless of the type. Some will disagree with me, but Airbus planes are more comfortable than Boeings, and ERJs are more comfortable than CRJs.

And as for any plane that doesn't have a jet engine.....they should NOT be flying. This is the 21st century.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:01 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by stupidhead
I'm not a fan of regional jets, regardless of the type. Some will disagree with me, but Airbus planes are more comfortable than Boeings, and ERJs are more comfortable than CRJs.

And as for any plane that doesn't have a jet engine.....they should NOT be flying. This is the 21st century.
I'll go tell all the piston engine aircraft owners to park their planes now.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:08 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MKEbound
...The CRJ200 is by far the most uncomfortable plane ever build to ride it
Except for MKEbound's very gross understatement, I utterly agree.

I have taught my children, upon seeing a CRJ200 to chant "evil" "evil" "evil"

but he aisle is much better than the window.
Agree. And it also means that you can be out of this excreble, miserable, misbegotten attempt an airplane a few seconds faster.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by stupidhead

well that certainly solves a lot of problems for the GA community!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.