Wiki Posts
Search

Mom's Rules for Flying with Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2007, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Mom's Rules for Flying with Luggage

If any of you have a friend or adult child who suddenly needs to travel 99% of the time for work, what suggestions/additions would you make to this list?

Flying with Luggage

Types of Luggage:
1) Carryon
2) Lost
Domestic Airline Rules for carryon:
A passenger is limited to:
1) One carryon – Must not exceed 45 linear inches (height + width + depth) and not to exceed 40 pounds, although they never weigh carryon for domestic flights, plus
2) One personal item – Can be a backpack or other bag, although there is no weight limit on backpacks and they never weigh them, plus
3) A small bag with food, drink (purchased inside security), and reading material

Airlines are not responsible for anything in a checked bag that is:
1) Valuable – like money. Put folding money in your pocket.
2) Irreplaceable – like work manuals
3) Electronic – like your laptop or flash drive
4) Fragile – like your laptop

Mom’s rules for luggage:

1) Never put anything valuable, irreplaceable, electronic, or fragile in a checked bag. Put them all in your carryon or backpack or in your pockets (pants, shirt, jacket, or coat pockets).

2) All bags (except maybe backpack) must have wheels and must be as lightweight yet sturdy as possible.

3) Never check a bag unless absolutely necessary. If you only do carryon, this means your bags are more likely to arrive at the same destination at the same time as you with all of their original contents, and it gives you more flexibility in case you want to go standby on an earlier flight, or to get bumped and go on a later flight.

4) For any bag that you plan to check, or your large carryon (rollaboard) that you might HAVE to check, put a printed copy of your itinerary inside, along with multiple copies of your name, address, and phone #.

5) To easily identify any bag that you plan to check, or your large carryon that you might HAVE to check:
A) get a bag that’s not black
B) attach something unique to the handle that might help you or a luggage handler find or identify your bag
C) have a Xerox picture of the bag in your carryon, along with a description of the make and model, in case it gets lost.

6) Get Xerox copies of your ID (color if possible) and put them in your carryon. Include a copy of your passport if you’re traveling internationally. You might need the copies to prove who you are, in case you lose your ID.

7) Get the largest carryon and backpack that the airlines will accept as carryon, and stuff them with all of the above items plus enough toiletries and clothes to last for a couple of days. Do not overstuff your carryon or backpack, or they might not fit in the overhead or under the seat in front of you.

8) Wear the largest stuff you need to take (wear large boots, pack smaller shoes in carryon or checked bag; wear heavy coat and heavy sweater, pack light jacket and lighter shirts)

9) There are clothing items that are designed and sold with many, many, many pockets to facilitate storing many items and wearing them through the security checkpoint that you otherwise would need to pack in a carryon or checked bag. For men they have a vest and cargo pants with internal pockets. For women they have a jacket, vest, and cargo pants. Any item with metal would need to go in the vest or jacket, which needs to be removed and sent through the security scanner. Soft items can go in the pants pockets. See URL:

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/N...vel_Vest.shtml

10) Get a seat in the earliest boarding zone possible, and board as soon as possible, in order to ensure room in the overhead for your carryon, and stow your backpack under the seat in front of you. Usually this means sitting as far back in the plane as possible, unless you have elite status with the airline and can board right after First Class. If you are one of the last to board a plane, the overheads might be full. In that case, I would beg the flight attendants to find a spot for your carryon, even if it’s in First Class or in the area where the crew store their bags, and you’re in coach. I would also stoop to saying “It will take me 15 minutes to remove everything valuable from the bag.” This should give them enough incentive to find a spot inside the plane for your bag. They do NOT want to delay the departure.

11) Smaller planes like regional jets have tiny overheads. In this case, take your carryon and backpack through security with you and gate-check the bags upon boarding the plane (a backpack might or might not fit on one of those small planes), and they should be waiting for you (you might have to wait a couple of minutes) on the tarmac when you deplane.

Last edited by MsEverywhere; Nov 27, 2007 at 9:35 am
Old Nov 26, 2007, 6:35 pm

Programs: United 1K
Good set of rules, but I always find experience to be the best teacher.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:54 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Bengals311
Good set of rules, but I always find experience to be the best teacher.
Her lessons can be quite painful.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:03 pm

I disagree with the "must have wheels" statement. Wheels add significant weight to a bag. Even if you're not planning on "backpacking" consider how many public transit staircases you'll be dragging your bag over, how many curbs you'll hop, how many busy sidewalks you'll be walking on.

Given to an inexperienced traveller your list seems to focus on getting the most stuff into your carry-on which is great. But the overall focus really should be given as #0 which is to: Pack less.

And when you think you're done packing less take out a few more things and you'll still be fine.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:11 pm

Once you've packed for your trip, take half as many clothes and twice as much money.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:01 pm

I don't know. For me, the inconvenenience of having to drag all that carry-on stuff with me throughout the travel experience -- including wearing my heaviest coat with its pockets stuffed! -- outweighs the slight chance of having my check-in bags delayed. I don't mind checking my bags, though I don't do it if I'm really travelling light.

Ed
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Given to an inexperienced traveller your list seems to focus on getting the most stuff into your carry-on which is great. But the overall focus really should be given as #0 which is to: Pack less.

And when you think you're done packing less take out a few more things and you'll still be fine.
Agreed.

I would also throw in a couple hints:

- If the clothing you are bringing is just back from the dry cleaner, keep it in the plastic. The plastic reduces friction and thus reduces wrinkles.

- Fold suit jackets reverse (think outside front lapels going back to meet each other) so that the inside liner is exposed. Fold back like that once and then once lengthwise. Again, this helps prevent wrinkles.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:19 am

Programs: UA, NW
Input from a seasoned road warrior (non-FTer)

Primo Rules for packing light: (Passed on by a friend who was on travel 47 out of 52 weeks last year)

1. If you're only going to use it once, don't take it, make do.
2. If you're packing it "just in case", leave it behind.
3. Pack 1 full change of clothes and at least 2 pr underwear in your Carryon (so you don't end up blow drying your undies in the hotel bathroom before you meet your new in-laws for the first time over dinner! )
4. (for clothes) If it doesn't match at least 2 opposing items, don't take it.
5. All your clothing should be the same color with an accent color thrown in. Think, Primary:Black, Accent:Red or Primary:Grey, Accent:Blue, etc.

Lastly, DO NOT CHECK IT IF YOU CAN CARRY IT! (She's lost more luggage, I swear! )

(That's all she had time to give me, she was called to her flight, again! )
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:20 am

And the all important rule....

If you cant carry your own bag.....then its too heavy.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by objetsetter
Once you've packed for your trip, take half as many clothes and twice as much money.
Ha ha ha ha ha!!

And welcome to Flyer Talk!

I started this thread to try to gain more ideas about how to turn a novice traveller into a seasoned road warrior in the quickest and least painful way. He suddenly has a job where he has to live out of his suitcase.....

Oops! NO SUITCASE!

He's on his 2nd trip, and the (different) airlines managed to misplace his bags on both flights last weekend.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckduer
3. Pack 1 full change of clothes and at least 2 pr underwear in your Carryon (so you don't end up blow drying your undies in the hotel bathroom before you meet your new in-laws for the first time over dinner! )
I learned #3 many years ago when I wasn't MsEverywhere, but I went to China for a 2-week seminar in International Computing. I knew I needed to take everything with me that I needed for the 2 weeks.

We were supposed to connect from DL to China Eastern, our DL flight was delayed so we just barely made our China Eastern flight. Of course, our bags were delayed until the next China Eastern flight from the US 2 days later. I had packed a change of clothes in my carryon. Everyone else in the group went shopping as soon as we arrived to find some clean clothes and toiletries.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:54 am

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
Types of Luggage:
1) Carryon
2) Lost
Fixed your post.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 9:03 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by lavalyn
Fixed your post.

Good point.

I personally haven't experienced the "lost" part, but my friend (I mentioned above) has had lost or destroyed luggage AT LEAST 1x per month for the last 3 years. She has a frequent flyer number registered with Samsonite!
Old Nov 27, 2007, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavalyn
Fixed your post.
OK, I see your point.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Gold, KLM Gold
An hour or so surveying the onebag.com site might help too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.