Mom's Rules for Flying with Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mom's Rules for Flying with Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Diamond
I would not suggest keeping you full itinerary or anything with your home address in or on your checked bag. It just tells people you aren't home. Use your work address, Or just use your name and cell phone number. If your bag gets misplaced, your cell phone number is just as helpful in getting it back as your address.

Besides, if you are at the start of a trip, do you want your bag going back home if it gets delayed?

Cromely.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:46 pm

Programs: ROP
Find a credit card with baggage delay insurance as a benefit and just go on a shopping spree if the bag gets delayed/misplaced.

If I book tickets on that card, I would actually look forward to my bags getting delayed.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by pteron
An hour or so surveying the onebag.com site might help too.
Brilliant site! I love it. He has several links to others of like packing minds.

I think I spent about 3 hours going over his stuff before my last big trip. It worked though! Considering I usually take a full checked bag for a weekend trip I made vast improvements using his ideas.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by beckduer
4. (for clothes) If it doesn't match at least 2 opposing items, don't take it.
5. All your clothing should be the same color with an accent color thrown in. Think, Primary:Black, Accent:Red or Primary:Grey, Accent:Blue, etc.
Match? "Accent color"? Somehow I don't think those matter for geeks like me.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
If you live alone or if no-one will be house sitting for you while you are away:

NEVER EVER PUT YOUR HOME ADDRESS IN/ON YOUR LUGGAGE TAG!

Thieves canvass the area to see if the house/flat is empty and if it is they strike. Guess where they get the address from. You got it - luggage handlers.

All I do is put a tag with phone numbers and my name. Those numbers are mobile numbers I will have access to while away so they can reach me that way.

If you feel you need to put an address down - make it your office address and let people at the office know you do this.

/E
Old Nov 28, 2007, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, UAL Premier Executive
When choosing your seat on a RJ, keep in mind that there is very limited space under the seat on the single seat side of those with the 1-2 seat configurations. I cannot fit my laptop case under the single seat, but it will fit on the 2 seat side.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Never, under any circumstances, allow yourself to become separated from your running shoes. The airline will lose the bag that has them in it, and you will be forced to skip that evening's run, opting instead to go to the hotel lobby bar, drink beer, and watch football.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:03 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by pinniped
Never, under any circumstances, allow yourself to become separated from your running shoes. The airline will lose the bag that has them in it,
Just wear your running shoes. You'll need them to catch your connecting flight when your first segment is delayed so that you need to run to your next segment.

On other topics for a newbie road warrior: avoid booking connections through high risk airports, such as ORD, unless you like missing your connections and wasting several hours (or overnight) at the airport.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by pueywei
Find a credit card with baggage delay insurance as a benefit and just go on a shopping spree if the bag gets delayed/misplaced.

If I book tickets on that card, I would actually look forward to my bags getting delayed.
That's a great idea, and I'll try that for myself. However, it won't help us road warriors whose companies book the flights.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
1) Never put anything valuable, irreplaceable, electronic, or fragile in a checked bag. Put them all in your carryon or backpack or in your pockets (pants, shirt, jacket, or coat pockets).
Ditto for medication - carry on only, in original bottle w pharmacy label. For a longer trip (and some restrictive countries) take an extra written prescription or pack extra in checked luggage.

4) For any bag that you plan to check, or your large carryon (rollaboard) that you might HAVE to check, put a printed copy of your itinerary inside, along with multiple copies of your name, address, and phone #.
I agree with the other posters about not putting address info inside. A better option for foreign travel is a photocopy of your passport (as in your tip #6, handy in case you lose the original) with an e-mail address written on it. There are very few places in the world these days where you can't get on the Internet for a short time if you need to.

C) have a Xerox picture of the bag in your carryon, along with a description of the make and model, in case it gets lost.
A good tip. If you forget, take a quick picture with your cell phone (if you have this capability). It's a lot easier to show that to a lost baggage agent than to try to describe it.

No advice re the "freedom baggie"?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:46 pm

Never, under any circumstances, allow yourself to become separated from your running shoes. The airline will lose the bag that has them in it, and you will be forced to skip that evening's run, opting instead to go to the hotel lobby bar, drink beer, and watch football.
I wholeheartedly agree. This goes for any type of specialty shoes really: running, bike, dance. If it's not easily replacable in 5 minutes by walking into your local department store and Target don't check it.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:38 am

Carryon all the way! I have to agree with the running shoes suggestion - it's saved my bacon a few times connecting at AKL domestic to another domestic flight.
And NOT having to wait at a baggage carousel after any flight makes flying a lot more enjoyable.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32

Hmmmmmmmmmm, did you forget the ?

I will add it for you
Old Nov 30, 2007, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by hbyerly
No advice re the "freedom baggie"?
I am not going to say anything about that !@#$% baggie. I think it's been beat to death in the Safety and Security forum.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:10 am

For people who wear glasse ~ bring a second pair in your handluggage. Mine fell off my nose in a crowded market and were within an inch of being crushed. That poor man was shocked when I pushed him away no easy thing to explain and apologize in foreign languages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.