Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why Don't Airlines Just Raise Their Fares to Meet Fuel Costs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Don't Airlines Just Raise Their Fares to Meet Fuel Costs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
OK - some excellent points made. The issue of whether a fare raise is called a fuel surcharge or incorporated into the fare seems irrelevant to the main issue. Bottom line is the cost to the consumer.

I remember Economics 101, the MPC equation - marginal propensity to consume. If you raise cost, fewer consumers buy. If you lower cost, more consumers buy. But there is a parameter called elasticity - related to the slope of the curve. As was pointed out above, airlines want to maximize revenue. How elastic is the fare curve? Sometimes you make more money by raising the cost because the increased revenue per widget (i.e. airline seat) more than makes up for the lost number of widgets sold. But sometimes it's the other way around - increase cost per widget is not enough to make up fordecrease in the number of widgets sold. It's all in the elasticity, or shape of the curve, which is very difficult to calculate in some cases.

Let's consider other phases of the travel industry. There is a huge difference in room rates in different hotels - but in that case, there is also a huge difference in the quality of the product you get. So that's probably not a good comparison.

But there is also a tremendous range in what car rental companies charge. Hertz or Avis can often be 3-4 times as expensive as Thrifty or Dollar or Enterprise. Is the Hertz or Avis product really that much better? But in this case, Avis and Hertz distinguish themselves from the others really by a relatively few number of parameters and services they offer.

Maybe there really are too many airlines. If there were only 5 or 6, they could all distinguish themselves from each other by different levels of service, they could charge what they need to provide those services, and people would be free to choose which airline they want based on those services. Just like the car rental companies.

Again, thanks for all the thoughtful answers.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by graraps
This is just wrong. Despite the massive increase in LCC traffic throughout Europe, full-service airlines like LH, AF/KL, BA, OK, AY and even RO (!!) have no problems charging higher prices for a superior product...
The European market is quite different from the American one. American leisure travellers would fly on a kite if it saved them a nickel. American business travellers are generally at the mercy of one of the big three "Corporate Travel Agencies", which emphasize price over all other. The reason that LCCs and Legacies are differentiated in America is because LCCs generally fly into less desirable airports - unlike Europe, there is no infrastructure in place to get you from your secondary airport (or even your primary) to the place you actually want to be. Additionally, many of the LCCs can't even be booked on Sabre, which I am constantly thankful for, otherwise my company's "travel desk" would no doubt put me on a 5-stop Southwest flight to save one dollar.

Europeans differentiate on many factors, including quality... the average American, NASCAR-watching, gun-toting Joe Sixpack differentiates on price and price alone.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JerryFF
OK - some excellent points made. The issue of whether a fare raise is called a fuel surcharge or incorporated into the fare seems irrelevant to the main issue. Bottom line is the cost to the consumer.

I remember Economics 101, the MPC equation - marginal propensity to consume. If you raise cost, fewer consumers buy. If you lower cost, more consumers buy. But there is a parameter called elasticity - related to the slope of the curve. As was pointed out above, airlines want to maximize revenue. How elastic is the fare curve? Sometimes you make more money by raising the cost because the increased revenue per widget (i.e. airline seat) more than makes up for the lost number of widgets sold. But sometimes it's the other way around - increase cost per widget is not enough to make up fordecrease in the number of widgets sold. It's all in the elasticity, or shape of the curve, which is very difficult to calculate in some cases.
AFAIK business travel is generally price inelastic whereas leisure travel is usually price elastic.

Cheers,
Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta is

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc (DAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research), the third-largest U.S. carrier, said on Tuesday that it increased fares by $10 one way in most domestic U.S. markets to offset rising fuel costs.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0071127?rpc=44

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.