Wiki Posts
Search

Best time to take ambien?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2007, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Best time to take ambien?

Hi.

We are flying SFO-IAD-JNB. We leave SFO at 8am local time and arrive at IAD around 3pm local time. We then leave IAD for JNB around 5pm, arriving in JNB 15 hours later, at 2:30 pm local time.

I was thinking of taking an ambien to sleep. I haven't used sleep aids before. What is the best time to take them (on the IAD-JNB flight)? Any other tips for sleeping on the plane and not arriving too jet lagged?

Thank you!
Old Oct 14, 2007, 4:13 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
After your desert and before your liqueur on the IAD-JNB flight.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Oh, forgot to say... We're flying coach. All the way in the back of the bus... row 60-something I think.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:53 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by KSinNYC
Hi.

We are flying SFO-IAD-JNB. We leave SFO at 8am local time and arrive at IAD around 3pm local time. We then leave IAD for JNB around 5pm, arriving in JNB 15 hours later, at 2:30 pm local time.

I was thinking of taking an ambien to sleep. I haven't used sleep aids before. What is the best time to take them (on the IAD-JNB flight)? Any other tips for sleeping on the plane and not arriving too jet lagged?
May I suggest that you try the Ambien BEFORE you fly in order to determine its effect on you? Some people get sleepy almost immediately, esp. after sublingual consumption. I've read other reports that the med is more effective if taken before eating.
Also, I know some people who have taken Ambien only on occassion and find 5mg to be the right dose. Others who take it often tell me they need 10mg.

In any case, try to arrange for at least 8 hours of sleep post-consumption during your testing phase. The 8 hours should also be available, I'd expect, on the overseas portion of your flight after eating since most overseas flights I've flown serve the meal w/in the first 1 to 1.5 hours, even way in the back of the bus.

Oh yeah: be sure to consult your physician...blah blah blah.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
http://www.drugs.com/ambien.html

Never take this medication during your normal waking hours, unless you have a full 7 to 8 hours to dedicate to sleeping.

Some people using this medicine have engaged in activity such as driving, eating, or making phone calls and later having no memory of the activity. If this happens to you, stop taking Ambien and talk with your doctor about another treatment for your sleep disorder.

Ambien can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. You may still feel sleepy the morning after taking the medication. Until you know how this medication will affect you during waking hours, be careful if you drive, operate machinery, pilot an airplane, or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert. Do not drink alcohol while you are taking this medication. It can increase some of the side effects of Ambien, including drowsiness. Ambien may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Ambien should never be shared with another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS
AAJetMan is dead on -- try it first to find out how it works on you. Even with a prescription and your doctor's OK you just don't know how it's going to hit you. Some people can't sleep with medication, others get sicker than a dog, most sleep and sleep hard.

Assuming you react to it normally I would suggest taking it after you are in air and have had a snack (if you eat before sleeping). Because of the potency taking it before the flight can be problematic if you have to deboard due to mechanical issues, change seats or have any other incidents that require your attention. This way you get to sleep an hour or two into the flight, sleep until hour 10 or 11, nd wake up with enough time to come out of the groggy feeling, watch a movie, have food and arrive with no more effects in your system.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
From personal experience, ask for a different sleep aid other than Ambien. Throw the bottle away and don't take any. Maybe Lunesta IS right for you.

Ambien became a psychadelic halucinogen. Able and willing to devote 8 hours to sleep after taking it with no alcolhol in my system, Ambien produced kaleidoscopic patterns, my behavior became erratic, and I had no memory of anything the following day. I once tried to grill frozen chicken breasts at 3am according to my wife who had to stop me.

The doctor had never heard any of this, which I found to be VERY odd since just about everyone who I'd mentioned this to either: a) knew someone who had a similar reaction, or b) reacted similarly themselves.

If you are dead set on taking Ambien while travelling, heed the advice above and test it out on yourself first. Also test it out under conditions similar to those you'll have on the flight: full meal, maybe a drink if you go that route, etc. Even then, there's a pressurization differential, and who knows if that might play a role in an odd reaction.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
Take a small dose if you can. It may help, but make sure you have adequate time to get it through your system. There is a clinical entity known as "airport amnesia", in which people, after taking Ambien, have a lot of confusion if there isn't adequate time after the dose. You might consider Ativan. It's effects are shorter lived. They all have their problems though and it's prudent to test it before the first long distant flight.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:21 pm

I don't recommend taking sleep aids on flights. Considering that 15% of people get a DVT on a flight of 4 hours or longer, you are at considerable risk of getting a DVT with your very long flight. I recommend getting up and walking at around the cabin at least every other hour. If you take zolpidem (Ambien), you'll be out cold for 8 hours and won't move an inch (unless you sleep walk). That considerably raises your risk of DVT.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
DVT is a risk when flying and it's a good idea to take ASA as a precaution. The study that looked at flights of 4 hours or longer found the absolute risk at 1 in 6000 and risk factors of obesity, pregnancy, and blood disorders increasing the risk.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Definitely take it beforehand. I'm actually at the other end of the spectrum - I have an incredible tolerance to all kinds of narcotics, sleeping pills and muscle relaxers. Things that most people can only take a half or small dose of and be knocked out, I can take three things as much and function normally. I used to take a cocktail of vicodin and flexeril (muscle relaxer) to work at a library when I had back problems and I never felt any mental affects at all.

That aside, I would still never try something new out on a plane, or probably at all. I totally got sleep paralyisis one time from taking Valium to help me sleep one night and I would not want to experience anything panic like on a plane.

PS - I'm also a female who is 5'3"!
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I swear by Ambien on TA and TP flights. On a long flight like yours, the 12.5 mg Ambien CR is OK. I would avoid the CR on TA flights as I had a scary experience flying PHL-FRA - had no memory of picking up my bags, customs and immigration and the trip to my hotel. Now I only take 7.5 mg (one 5 and a five cut in half) of straight zolpidem (generic) on TA flights and it is all out of my system by landing. The CR (controlled release) is good for when you are on a TP flight and want to make sure you don't wake up in the middle of a good sleep.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I'm gonna have to say that on an airplane is NOT the best time to take Ambien for the first time. A number of people have strange, non-sleeping states induced by this medication. I am one of these people. It makes me feel intoxicated, I see double, but I don't sleep. I've knocked stuff over on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night on Ambien. Had to stop taking it.

Try before you fly, or get something else.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by oneant
From personal experience, ask for a different sleep aid other than Ambien. Throw the bottle away and don't take any. Maybe Lunesta IS right for you.

Ambien became a psychadelic halucinogen. Able and willing to devote 8 hours to sleep after taking it with no alcolhol in my system, Ambien produced kaleidoscopic patterns, my behavior became erratic, and I had no memory of anything the following day. I once tried to grill frozen chicken breasts at 3am according to my wife who had to stop me.

The doctor had never heard any of this, which I found to be VERY odd since just about everyone who I'd mentioned this to either: a) knew someone who had a similar reaction, or b) reacted similarly themselves.

If you are dead set on taking Ambien while travelling, heed the advice above and test it out on yourself first. Also test it out under conditions similar to those you'll have on the flight: full meal, maybe a drink if you go that route, etc. Even then, there's a pressurization differential, and who knows if that might play a role in an odd reaction.
Quoted for truth. Ambien is dangerous.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 7:24 pm

Programs: Advantage, United, Krisflyer, Continental, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai
Originally Posted by coxta
DVT is a risk when flying and it's a good idea to take ASA as a precaution. The study that looked at flights of 4 hours or longer found the absolute risk at 1 in 6000 and risk factors of obesity, pregnancy, and blood disorders increasing the risk.
You guys really use too much of this "my DVt was really absurd so I cranked up the DA went over to my PO and then alleviated the whole thing with AA over an ASA". Half the time I have to go to google to try and figure what you are talking about. In this case, ASA equals;
1. American Society of Appraisers
2. American Softball Assoc.
3. American Society of Anesthesiologists
4. American Sociological Association
5. American Statistical Association
6. Autism Society of America

I could go on......but I'll just ask....what is ASA that is taken as a precaution?
(Atlantic Southeast Airlines????....but why is that good for DVT?)

I'm worried because you could end up DOA from DVT...my BIL did and he was OAYM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.