Best time to take ambien?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best time to take ambien?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2007, 7:55 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Ambien has worked great for me. I like it better than benedryl (and several "pm/nighttime" versions of headache medicines include it, example: Tylenol PM is just acetaminophen w/ it), as it doesn't leave you foggy, funky, or groggy at all after your sleep. For me, it's kicked in about 15 minutes after taking, and helps me sleep soundly for a solid 7-8 hours.

I certainly wouldn't take it with a lot of alcohol (I suppose one's def. of "a lot" will vary), nor on a flight that did not offer at least 7 hours of sleep time (not flight time, but sleep time as in after dinner if you're having it, and before breakfast if you're having it, etc.)
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by maskedavenger77
You guys really use too much of this "my DVt was really absurd so I cranked up the DA went over to my PO and then alleviated the whole thing with AA over an ASA". Half the time I have to go to google to try and figure what you are talking about. In this case, ASA equals;
1. American Society of Appraisers
2. American Softball Assoc.
3. American Society of Anesthesiologists
4. American Sociological Association
5. American Statistical Association
6. Autism Society of America

I could go on......but I'll just ask....what is ASA that is taken as a precaution?
(Atlantic Southeast Airlines????....but why is that good for DVT?)

I'm worried because you could end up DOA from DVT...my BIL did and he was OAYM.
ASA == Acetylsalicyclic Acid, AKA Aspirin.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:35 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
No thanks

I take Melatonin the night I arrive and sleep like a baby. I am not willing to try anything stronger than Benadryl for airplanes.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by KSinNYC
Hi.

We are flying SFO-IAD-JNB. We leave SFO at 8am local time and arrive at IAD around 3pm local time. We then leave IAD for JNB around 5pm, arriving in JNB 15 hours later, at 2:30 pm local time.

I was thinking of taking an ambien to sleep. I haven't used sleep aids before. What is the best time to take them (on the IAD-JNB flight)? Any other tips for sleeping on the plane and not arriving too jet lagged?

Thank you!
Obviously, you do need to know ahead of time that you tolerate Ambien well, and what's an appropriate dose for your body. (Metabolisms vary widely. I'm nearly 200 lbs, and I take a tiny - 5mg - dose.)

If you really can't sleep on a plane and want to use it for that, take it right after dinner. That way you get your eight hours in and wake up in time to use the blue room before the seat belt sign comes on.

But if you can sort of sleep on a plane, let me suggest Ambien will be more useful for your first night in JNB. With a nine-hour time difference from SFO, you'll be going to bed at what your body thinks is lunch time. A bad night's sleep on the plane will ensure you're tired, and the Ambien will help you sleep through the night and reset your circadian rhythms.

Works very well for me that way in managing jet lag.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Just a note, the anticoagulative benefit of ASA with respect to long-distance travel is best if aspirin is taken for 3-4 days before travel.

As for Ambien, I like 10mg of the CR formulation... no alcohol though.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:51 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by gregmchicago
A bad night's sleep on the plane will ensure you're tired, and the Ambien will help you sleep through the night and reset your circadian rhythms.
And as an added benefit, if you do have a bad reaction you're not stuck at 30,000 feet where anything bad feels that much worse.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by PorkRind
ASA == Acetylsalicyclic Acid, AKA Aspirin.
WTABLOA! (Wow, Talk About Love of Acronyms)
Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:12 am

Programs: UA Silver
Does anyone think Benadryl on a west to east coast red eye would be a bad idea? It takes me probably like 75 or 100mg for it to actually work on me, but I've never taken it to sleep when I haven't had all night before. I know I'd be able to function a lot better the next day if I could get that solid 4 hours.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Not to sound like a new-age hippie or anything, but I've actually found relaxation/meditation audio to work wonders. A decent meal, a couple drinks, some noise-cancelling headphones, and the meditation thing my wife bought is amazing. You're able to tune out everything and focus on relaxation and sleep. No need for medication.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
In regards to Ambien, I use it occasionally at home and love it. A 10mg dose is not enough for me on planes and I usually have to combine it with something else (It's incredibly difficult for me to fall asleep in any position that's not completely horizontal). I try and stay away from the alcohol because of reports that mixing the two increases the tendency for sleepwalking/eating/etc.

Also, be aware that half the dosage does not equal half the time asleep. You need 7-8 hours of uninterrupted time whether you take half a pill or a whole one.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by horse glasses
Does anyone think Benadryl on a west to east coast red eye would be a bad idea? It takes me probably like 75 or 100mg for it to actually work on me, but I've never taken it to sleep when I haven't had all night before. I know I'd be able to function a lot better the next day if I could get that solid 4 hours.
I was on the CO redeye from SNA to EWR last night, and dropped half a 10mg tab of Ambien shortly after boarding. I was still up, albeit drowsy, when the drink cart arrived. I grabbed a scotch, chugged it, and knew nothing until 5AM.

Best coach flight I've ever had on CO
Old Oct 15, 2007, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by PorkRind
I was on the CO redeye from SNA to EWR last night, and dropped half a 10mg tab of Ambien shortly after boarding. I was still up, albeit drowsy, when the drink cart arrived. I grabbed a scotch, chugged it, and knew nothing until 5AM.

Best coach flight I've ever had on CO
Weird. I don't remember writing this . . .

Old Oct 15, 2007, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Ambien is best in general 45 minutes before wanting to be asleep - I'll never forget the MEn's Health review that called Ambien "like getting hit in the head with a shovel". If that's not a sleep aid endorsement, you have to wonder what is.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
"like getting hit in the head with a shovel".
Minus the concussion, I trust.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by gregmchicago
Minus the concussion, I trust.
Alrighty then, Larry Literal. Wow...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.