Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best time to take ambien?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:37 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Ambien is best in general 45 minutes before wanting to be asleep - I'll never forget the MEn's Health review that called Ambien "like getting hit in the head with a shovel". If that's not a sleep aid endorsement, you have to wonder what is.
The way I describe it to people is, "I take an Ambien and 10 minutes later it's 8 hours later."
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:41 am

Programs: NWA, Delta, AA
Best time to take Ambien, never. Try something else.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by nyc123zoe55
Is that simply your opinion, or do you have some basis in fact for making that suggestion?
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by nyc123zoe55
I have only taken over the counter and Ambien. Ambien is just amazing for east bound flights and the days after the flight. Not only do you go to sleep fast, more importantly you wake up fast.

Having said that I have decided to no longer take it on westbound. Have not pinpointed the reason, but it seems to interfere with activities more.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Count me in as another person who had strange reactions to Ambien..... crazy dreams with a rather aggressive bout of talking (yelling) in my sleep - scared my husband half to death. Also felt like totally hungover the next day (and no booze either). A male friend of ours had a couple of sleepwalking/bizarre episodes - came to in the kitchen with half of the fridge out on the counter eating everything in sight.

I now take 1 tylenol PM when I need it and that works pretty well. 2 works better but I feel sluggish the next day.

Bottom line DO NOT take anything for the first time when you are traveling. I would think that would just be common sense......
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Ambien is best in general 45 minutes before wanting to be asleep - I'll never forget the MEn's Health review that called Ambien "like getting hit in the head with a shovel". If that's not a sleep aid endorsement, you have to wonder what is.
My friends and I call Ambien the mind eraser, I never heard the shovel thing.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
Life isn't without risks.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 2:26 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
Count me in as another person who had strange reactions to Ambien..... crazy dreams with a rather aggressive bout of talking (yelling) in my sleep - scared my husband half to death. Also felt like totally hungover the next day (and no booze either). A male friend of ours had a couple of sleepwalking/bizarre episodes - came to in the kitchen with half of the fridge out on the counter eating everything in sight.

I now take 1 tylenol PM when I need it and that works pretty well. 2 works better but I feel sluggish the next day.

Bottom line DO NOT take anything for the first time when you are traveling. I would think that would just be common sense......
Crazy dreams can indeed be disturbing.
I stuck w/ Ambien because when I tried melatonin I had disturbingly vivid dreams, and awoke somewhat distraught .
Thankfully I don't have that problem w/ Ambien.^
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:29 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
May I suggest that you try the Ambien BEFORE you fly in order to determine its effect on you? Some people get sleepy almost immediately, esp. after sublingual consumption. I've read other reports that the med is more effective if taken before eating.
I second that suggestion. Try it a few times before using it on an aircraft. It's better to travel with someone else when taking Ambien (or any other z-drug or benzo) so that you don't do something really stupid.

If you plan on drinking (don't!), make sure to try the same combo at home beforehand, with a loved one present.

If you eat AFTER taking ambien, you may wake up having eaten much more or much less than you wanted to. I remember a story about someone (okay, me) taking ambien right before a meal on an aircraft, then drooling the food onto the tray right before falling asleep. It must have been pretty funny to Mrs. ralfp watching me have trouble getting the food to my mouth. Forks are really tricky things.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PorkRind
Is that simply your opinion, or do you have some basis in fact for making that suggestion?
I've posted personal experience with Ambien. Get something else. Ambien is not a safe drug.

I'd use the experiences from other FTers here to let you know that an extremely adverse reaction is NOT uncommon.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Crazy dreams can indeed be disturbing.
I stuck w/ Ambien because when I tried melatonin I had disturbingly vivid dreams, and awoke somewhat distraught .
Thankfully I don't have that problem w/ Ambien.^
VERY odd. Ambien is NOT a natural sleep aid. Melatonin is something your body should be producing on its own. If you have problems with Melatonin but not Ambien, you need to find a new doctor.

Perhaps exercise is the right prescription. ^
Old Oct 17, 2007, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by oneant
VERY odd. Ambien is NOT a natural sleep aid. Melatonin is something your body should be producing on its own. If you have problems with Melatonin but not Ambien, you need to find a new doctor.

Perhaps exercise is the right prescription. ^
I am quite pleased w/ Ambien's results.

I have to agree with others I've spoken with that the vivid dreams accompanying Melatonin as a sleep aid are just not worth it. (Maybe it's the above-normal levels associated with the Melatonin supplements that induce the unsettling dreams??)

I also agree with your exercising thought as well...

Walking 4-5 miles per day (double that on weekend days) does help, "de-stressing" the mind by clearing thoughts as much as anything.
I also try to make arrangements to get to the airport well before (2-4 hours) any long, int'l flight so I can walk several miles to help get worn out in order to sleep better on the long flight. DFW is very accommodating to long walks.

Now what also REALLY helps is when I avoid caffeine after noon!!!

Last edited by AAJetMan; Oct 17, 2007 at 5:54 am
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:02 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
I am quite pleased w/ Ambien's results.

I have to agree with others I've spoken with that the vivid dreams accompanying Melatonin as a sleep aid are just not worth it. (Maybe it's the above-normal levels associated with the Melatonin supplements that induce the unsettling dreams??)
As am I. And, I don't get vivid dreams from that... I have my anti-malaria meds for that, every time I go to India... or maybe its the food.

In end, the folks saying "never take Ambien" are being a bit silly. The fact of the matter is that everyone is going to have somewhat different reaction to just about any drug. Ambien will be great for some and not for others.

Ambien is one option. You should talk to your doctor, decide what you're going to try, and don't rule anything out based on hearsay. Figure out which of the options are right for you and do so before you step onto an airplane.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:03 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have a friend who takes Ambien. We were traveling together. He got up in the middle of the night, drank two beers from the minibar and ate a bag of almonds (about a pound) and remembered nothing the next day. It is scary stuff.

Meditation almost always works for me. Like Ambien, try this ahead of time. If you are Christian, centering prayer is the name of the practice. There are a number of books by either Basil Pennington or Thomas Keating on the practice. If you are secular, "Wherever You Go, There You Are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn is very good. Other religious traditions follow this practice, too.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by manneca
Meditation almost always works for me. Like Ambien, try this ahead of time. If you are Christian, centering prayer is the name of the practice. There are a number of books by either Basil Pennington or Thomas Keating on the practice. If you are secular, "Wherever You Go, There You Are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn is very good. Other religious traditions follow this practice, too.
Good suggestions.
May I add...I find classical music helps me relax during turbulence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.