Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passgers that randomly load overhead bin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Passgers that randomly load overhead bin

I've had several cases where a passenger put his luggage up in the overhead bin half way down the plane, then kept walking until he's all the way down the plane.

Has it not occurred to him/her that it's taking space away from people who actually sit there?

I've also had people in first row stuff their bag under their seat, against my feet. Had to take it out, and ask them 'hey you mind if I put it up top". No sorry, thank you, no nothing.

Next time I'll take off my shoes and rest 'em on the bag
Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:49 am
Suspended

Sadly in flying you have to put up with other's discourtesy. Your best bet is to take the satisfaction in calling them on it. You can always move the guys bag to somewhere he won't find it or put it under a chair somewhere until all of the bins are full If you wanted to be really mean you could say that it doesn't fit and you want to check it.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:58 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I hate that. I've moved their stuff to another bin just for fun, and one guy was such a jerk on his way back to 99A or whatever taking up three bins up front, that I asked they gate check the bag, as it was too large. Don't mean my bag either. Well, they probably thought it was my bag, I never went into details.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I have done that once - but I was the last pax. to board, my F seat had been given away, and I just put my bag in the first open bin I saw. I ended up sitting in the second to last row.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:22 am
Suspended

I think the OP was more talking about someone who puts it up there so they don't have to pull it through the aisle and thus makes someone else fight their way back through the plane to store theirs. If the plane is full, I have no problem with someone putting their bad in a random place.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Originally Posted by bhmlurker

I've also had people in first row stuff their bag under their seat, against my feet.
This happened to me the other week; the FA told the pax that he couldn't store his carryon's on the floor in front of him (bulkhead). The FA got on him before I could--"you could stow your items there if the pax behind you (me) doesn't mind you intruding on his foot space". [way to go Josh!!] Would you believe the guy actually considered asking?!?!
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: DL GM; SPG- Gold; HH-Diamond; IHG-Gold
Originally Posted by MarcPHL
This happened to me the other week; the FA told the pax that he couldn't store his carryon's on the floor in front of him (bulkhead). The FA got on him before I could--"you could stow your items there if the pax behind you (me) doesn't mind you intruding on his foot space". [way to go Josh!!] Would you believe the guy actually considered asking?!?!
I saw that happen last week as well. Some 16 year old VBIT sitting in the isle bulkhead shoves his backpack under his seat. The guy sitting behind him looked just pissed but didn't say anything to him. I think the kid's dad told him it was ok to use that space. Anyway, I decided to intervene and told the kid I bet the guy behind him appreciated him stealing his foot space, maybe he should recline the seat too just to stay consistent. The kid moved the bag and they guy behind him ended up buying me a beer.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The bins are first come, first served.

Was on a CAL 737 last night in the exit row. The entire bin, on both sides, over those seats is taken up with the life rafts. Obviously, you put your bags wherever you can find room.

Actually, I haven't found it to be a problem these past few months. Even on a full flight (domestic, narrowbody) there's usually plenty of extra room in the bins due to the increased amount of bag checking with the 3-1-1 rules. I'm usually able to move my underseat bag to the overhead at the end of boarding.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'll put my bags near my seat, unless all the bins are full. Often, if I'm near the end of boarding, and all bins appear to be full, I'll put my bags as soon as I encounter space. It's much better than getting to your seat, and then having to trudge back up front. At that point, most people have boarded, anyway.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:06 am
Suspended

People who do this haven't heard of theft. I heard of stories of theft before.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I thanked a First Class FA on a recent AA flight who noted that all the First Class passengers were seated and had their items stowed, slammed shut the bins to keep Economy passengers from using them. Cool move!

She also did full pre-take off drinks service.

Angel!
Old Jun 26, 2007, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I thanked a First Class FA on a recent AA flight who noted that all the First Class passengers were seated and had their items stowed, slammed shut the bins to keep Economy passengers from using them. Cool move!

She also did full pre-take off drinks service.

Angel!
Rarer than hen's teeth! I bet she kept the Y pax out of the F lav, too! ^
Old Jun 26, 2007, 3:19 pm

I've had several cases where a passenger put his luggage up in the overhead bin half way down the plane, then kept walking until he's all the way down the plane.

Has it not occurred to him/her that it's taking space away from people who actually sit there?

I've also had people in first row stuff their bag under their seat, against my feet. Had to take it out, and ask them 'hey you mind if I put it up top". No sorry, thank you, no nothing.

This irks me almost as much as fellow Zone 1 boarders who jump ahead of me to make sure they have space for their bags, never mind the guy who has been patiently waiting there.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 6:54 pm

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member

I experienced that on a Mesaba (NW Airlink) flight from MEM-TRI. We were shifted around due to the weight/balance issues that are common on this type of equipment. I lost my exit row seat and was reassigned to a single in row 2. There was a guy in the first row who wanted to put his stuff under my seat. He was actually assigned to row 3 but kept whining until the FA moved him to the first row which was unoccupied. Before he sat down he took his bag and started trying to cram it under the seat. He was almost going between my legs trying to do it, a little too close for comfort in fact. There was plenty of room overhead, as there were only 10-15 passengers on this particular flight. He said (rather arrogantly) "I'm gonna put my bag under here." I just looked at him not offering to move my feet and said "Not gonna happen." The FA who was already annoyed by his neediness and sense of entitlement made him put it in the overhead. He still had the nerve to say it wouldn't have hurt anything to put it under the seat, like I should sacrifice my foot space to accommodate his whimsical desire to keep his bag from going into the OH bin. It never amazes me how some people just don't get it.

Oh, and to make it worse, the guy had already whined his way out of plane side checking his bag. It was a little hefty to be on board. Another point that made him popular with both the crew and pax. Then he wanted to cram it under my feet.

Last edited by viking407rob; Jun 26, 2007 at 7:02 pm
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA MM
I was in 1F, and was about the 4th passenger to board, so imagine my surprise when the guy in 3D put his bags above the first row, where I needed to put my bag. I watched him put his bag up and move back to take his seat.

I looked and him and said "Excuse me. Do you mind putting your bag above your head so I can put my bag above my head?"

He looked stunned, but moved his bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.