Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:57 pm

Programs: Qantas (P1)(now LTGwohhhh), Singapore, United, AIRNZ,SPG corporate member, ShangriLa Golden circle
PLO-Port Lincoln, single runway, terminal that has checkin and seating for about 50, cropdusters, firefighting aircraft,flying doctor,oil rigs, light planes all use. No security. 3 planes can sit on the apron.All manual baggage handling.
Fantastic forum...1st post
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by stevechin
I flew out of Lake Hood, AK a few years ago. We flew out of Lake Hood on a fly-in fishing trip to the Kenai River. I guess Lake Hood could be a small airport, or one with a really large landing area, depending on how you look at it.

As far as a commercial airport, I'd have to say TBU - Tongapatu airport in Tonga. We landed in an Air Pacific 737 and took the entire length of the runway! There was no taxiway, we ended up making a U-turn to get to the terminal. There's are no jetways, or push back tractors, so we ended up parking parallel to the terminal like at a bus station.

I think the one Air Pacific flight is the only regularly scheduled commercial jet flight into TBU.

Steve
I was also wondering about float-planes.

NZ also flies to TBU from AKL, APW and LAX so plenty of flights, even wide bodies (767).
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:21 pm

Programs: CO, UA Premier
VFA (Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe)
HWN (Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe)
OTZ (Kotzebue, AK, USA)
OME (Nome, AK, USA)

The domestic terminal in Harare, Zimbabwe is (or was 10 years ago) pretty small, too, although the adjacent international terminal was bigger.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Several have mentioned FAT and then argued whether it was considered a small airport. My first flight in the mid 60's was on UA out of FAT. At the time I believe it had 2 gates and we walked onto the ramp and up the stairs. I don't recall the aircraft type, but we did fly all the way to Burbank.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:24 am

Helgoland, Germany on a BN Islander
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Bim & Nsb

Bimini has two great airports. The "North" airport is acutally for Chalk's Sea Planes, which no longer flies. They had a cement pad about 100x100 feet where the plane came up out of the water and turned around on. Baggage/ticketing/checkin/everything else was handled in a small building adjacent.

BIM is the south airport. Real runway and everything, but the same small house idea is used for everything, including customs/immigration.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
TVL - South Lake Tahoe, CA
TTN - Trenton, NJ
HVN - New Haven, CT
BDR - Bridgeport, CT
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I am going to be flying to TRI in the near future... Can you tell I'm excited?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:56 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Also MVY, TUP, OWD, ACK, and SBA.

[wondering why my previous list defaulted to lowercase letters
despite the fact I'd typed them in majuscule].
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
YPW (Powell River, British Columbia) was pretty small in the 70s, when I lived there. My sister got into some trouble with the police because she liked to chase the planes along the runway on horseback.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:14 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I was also wondering about float-planes
Yes. I've flown with these folks who claim to be the world's largest seaplane-only airline:

http://www.harbour-air.com/home/index.php

Some of those Gulf Island docks with regularly scheduled service are small but the view on a clear day more than makes up for the lack of amenities. Of course, one of the "amenities" lacking is security screening.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Newcastle, Belmont, NSW

On the old Aeroduck flights ex SYD in the Twin Otters.

Now they fly out of NTL, it isn't quite the same. Shared the Belmont porch with the SA Redbacks back when they could actually play cricket.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:28 am

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
For me, it is TGM (Targu Mures/Marosvasarhely) in Romania. I came in on a WizzAir A320, deplaned on roller stairs. We waited on the ramp in the "customs" line which was on the signed "international" side of the airport. Luggage was piled high atop a miniature truck and driven into the "terminal" where the bags were distributed across the floor.

As for security, the paved access from the parking area to the ramp (for moving equipment, cargo) is not fenced or anything, so there were armed border control people keeeping an eye the area.

All-in-all, a great airport experience!!!
Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:55 am

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
ART

For those that remember the great ART Runs of 2005
Old Mar 23, 2007, 2:59 am

Programs: UA, VA, ZL, Priority Club, HH. Rydges.
YWWA, Wee Waa New South Wales Cotton country. Gravel strip, motel manager the GA. Had to help pilot refuel from 44 gallon drum. GA had to drive down the runway to scare off the cockatoos and away we were off to SYD.
Thank G for FT so we can remember these episodes of our lives. No FFP.
Have fun, Ray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.