Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:26 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by jtkauai
MON - Mt. Cook NZ
MKK - Molokai
LNY - Lanai
MKK for sure.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:45 am

Programs: QF Bronze, DJ Velocity
LST and ABX I think they are both about the same size ABX might be a little smaller
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:27 am

Domestically, I remember the former Killeen airport (ILE) as being really small. Internationally, Bonaire (BON) was quite cozy.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
For me, it would probably be MVY (Martha's Vineyard, Mass.) in a Cape Air Cessna 411. Another is GCC (Grand Canyon, Ariz.).

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
OAX (Oaxaca in Mexico) - very small airport. Flew out of there on a Cessna Grand Caravan...
I'd take issue with that one ... I flew in and out in December 2005 on a mainline Mexicana jet, two-class seating, the whole bit. Granted, it's not LHR or LAX - not even a Starbucks, though MEX has several - but it's not in a league with some of the others.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:32 am

AXU (Axum, Ethiopia) on Ethiopian Airlines. No terminal, just a shack with a metal detector and a small area to pat everyone down. Dirt Runway, and just for extra shock effect, a burnt out hulk of a plane alongside the runway!

(sidebar).. I've often thought that the TSA should hire the Ethiopians to do the patdowns and security checks. I never was felt up as much as I was flying around Ethiopia in 1997. I kept joking they should hand out cigarettes after security
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
[QUOTE=Efrem;7435272I'd take issue with that one ... I flew in and out in December 2005 on a mainline Mexicana jet, two-class seating, the whole bit. Granted, it's not LHR or LAX - not even a Starbucks, though MEX has several - but it's not in a league with some of the others.[/QUOTE]Now that you say that, I remember that I may have been in the General Aviation terminal (albeit on a scheduled flight).

SmilingBoy.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
For myself, it would be the airport on the island of Saba in the Caribbean. The "terminal" is a small shack about the size of a small tool shed. The runway is 400 meters long and can only be serviced by a Dehavilland Twin Otter. The usable portion is just under 1000 feet long. No runouts on either end- just a 200 foot cliff!

It is the shortest commercial runway in the world, supposedly.

Here's a link to a picture http://www.b-v-i.com/SabaAirport/default.htm
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
Domestically ABR (Aberdeen, SD) gets my vote. Small terminal, one TSA lane leading to a small holding area next to the gate, and one small jetway for Northwest Airlink (Messaba Aviation) props. I believe there are four daily flights to MSP and four inbound.

I think it is quaint how they open the security lane ten minutes before boarding, process the 15-20 pax through and shortly thereafter you board. Lots of free parking in front of the terminal building too.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've landed and been picked up in a dirt cow pasture in Costa Rica. Had to buzz the field to get the cows off too!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I believe that Alderney (Channel Islands) is for sure one of, if not even the smallest international airport. As Alderney is a "something" (to avoid the word "state") of its own, all flights, even the five minute hop to Guernsey next door, is international. And they have the usual custom's channels "red" and "green" (allthough I have never ever seen a customs officer there).
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:06 am

Smallest airport, would have to be KSC. (Kosice, Slovakia) A few years ago, before they expanded it, it was just one room, with one conveyor belt in the middle of it. It was so sad, now it looks way better.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
84R (Smithville Municipal Airport)...
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:19 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
CNY - Canyonlands Field in Moab Utah (or actually 14 miles out of town):

http://www.grandcountyutah.net/airport/

We spent several hours there playing cards once because we volunteered and were bumped. Maybe I'll start a thread about the smallest airport anybody's gotten a bump.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
Pangkor Island, Malaysia (PGK?). In 1994 I was on my way to Pangkor Laut and flew there on a Pelangi Air Dornier 228 from the old KUL at Subang. If there was a terminal I didn't see it - the hotel minivan drove up to the plane and the luggage was unloaded directly onto the van. Although Pelangi Air is no more, I believe there is still a scheduled service to Pangkor.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:36 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Smallest for me was ART, Watertown, NY, on the $1.86 transcon mistake fares from US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.