Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever see poachers help themselves to a hotel's free breakfast buffet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever see poachers help themselves to a hotel's free breakfast buffet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:37 pm

Breakfast is very often included in European hotel stays and they almost always ask for the room number. Not too much poaching in that system. It is interesting to see the range of food in different countries: lots of meats in Germany, only pastries and coffee in France, but a full Irish breakfast is something else.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:45 pm
sy7

Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB

On a similar note, I once stayed at a Hyatt Regency with several of my co-workers, one of whom received a complimentary upgrade to the Regency Club Level. He invited everyone (including myself) to join him in the RC lounge in each morning, to take advantage of the free breakfast. I declined, but everyone else accepted, as I thought to do so was tacky, since I'm not on the RC level.

Anyone else witness similar situations? Ever see anyone get busted?
I just had a stay at a Hyatt which has a regency club that is accessed by a card key but no one asking for name and room number.

At breakfast, one guy (who had a regency club room) came in with ~4 other people who obviously did not have access. They proceeded to call maybe 6-8 other people who were staying at different hotels. Of course, these people needed to be met downstairs in the lobby because they couldn't access the club floor. This group took over the medium sized club and were quite loud.

Anyway, yes, I did think this was very tacky. There was an attendant in the club who must have known what was happening (the people were NOT discreet about it at all) but nothing was said. On the other hand, this particular club didn't have a very lavish breakfast spread either--probably because the club access isn't policed by a staff member.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by the_traveler
I usually stay at Embassy Suites. Yes, sometimes they ask to "see" the room key, but if you follow the crowd, many times they won't (since a "room" could have 4 people).

Embassy Suites also has the "Manager's Reception". One trip, I met with (non-hotel guest) friends for drinks. (They lived in the city.) He wanted to pay for their drinks at the bar, but the bartender said, "You're a guest - the drinks are no charge!" ^
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that. I've definitely seen poaching there!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by djm3
Breakfast is very often included in European hotel stays and they almost always ask for the room number. Not too much poaching in that system. It is interesting to see the range of food in different countries: lots of meats in Germany, only pastries and coffee in France, but a full Irish breakfast is something else.
In Scandinavia they rarely keep track at the hotels, but then again they don't have a large number of malnourished people either. If there were free drinks, however, then the sentiment would be well different.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I actually scheduled a breakfast meeting with a potential subcontractor, and I had him meet me at my hotel, and "treated" him to the free breakfast
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by GUWonder
In Scandinavia they rarely keep track at the hotels, but then again they don't have a large number of malnourished people either. If there were free drinks, however, then the sentiment would be well different.
Especially in Iceland. Many of us freeloading FTers taking advantage of the Iceland Air free ticket deal were shocked to pay $10 for a draught beer. Heavy taxes, I understand.

Hosted receptions would tempt many uninvited guests, I'm sure.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by jaginger
Embassy Suites I went to used to ask to see a room key. I suppose they did it to cut down on poaching.
Only for the cooked section, and even then not always. I've been at conferences at ES properties where people I knew were not staying at the hotel, but were attending the conference had both breakfast and afternoon reception - in large groups.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
We were recently at a convention in SLC, we were staying at the ES, friends were staying down the street.
The bartender told us that it was no problem to have our friends join us for the afternoon reception, so we put a little extra into the tip jar and that was that.
But that's different than folks walking in off the street and helping themselves ....
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:41 pm

I know it's become a joke, but let me say quite sincerely...

Great post by the OP! ^ ^ ^
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:47 pm

My favorite...

At GIG, at the UA Lounge..... a Fed LEO comes in (badge showing), fills his pockets with mini-bottles and some snacks and leaves.
The UA attendant and I locked the look and she gently shrugs...
Priceless, but nevertheless delivered such a message: welcome to our society!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dhuey
Especially in Iceland. Many of us freeloading FTers taking advantage of the Iceland Air free ticket deal were shocked to pay $10 for a draught beer. Heavy taxes, I understand.

Hosted receptions would tempt many uninvited guests, I'm sure.
It's taxes but more so a legacy of the state monopoly (i.e., the State Alcohol and Tobacco Company of Iceland) controlling alcohol prices (and even availability).

You're lucky you could buy a beer there legally. My Nordic history is rusty but I believe Iceland had prohibition on beer longer than any country (i.e., until c. 1989) which has ever been part of NATO.

How about poachers at lounges, hotel's or airline's? I've seen that too.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:53 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
My experience here in Australia is that the breakfast buffet is usually checked off against a printout of names and room numbers to see if breakfast is included or to be billed.
Now as has been said, conferences are another thing entirely I've always been a guest, but the breakfast meetings, receptions and dinner functions seem quite open to drop-ins, and once or twice colleagues staying at other locations have joined in (though the industry sponsor was quite happy to have them attend)
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
...prohibition on beer ...
Then I'd bet that Iceland has a high per capita home brewing population. I used to love making batches from the premix kits. I gave it up only because it took some work and it wasn't any cheaper than picking up six-packs. Heavy taxation of beer would have altered that calculus for me.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:52 pm

Programs: none
45 years ago I used to do better then that.
Travelling Europe on a Eurail Pass, sleeping in 'all night' trains to not pay for Hotels.
Walking into the nearest Hotel at a Train Station.
Bag in hand, walking or 'elevating' to any of the upper floors.
Maids in Halls. Many rooms open. Beds stripped. The Bathroom not yet.
Went inside, saying to the maid that I would have to take a shower again, although I had 'already checked out', but got a bit sweaty loading the car.
"No problem, Sir". I got showered, and breakfast in addition at the free buffet.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 8:00 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
The last hotel I stayed in gave us "breakfast vouchers" which were collected at the door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.