Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever see poachers help themselves to a hotel's free breakfast buffet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever see poachers help themselves to a hotel's free breakfast buffet?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Another angle is that there is a lot of waste that goes out in a garbage at the end of the meal..

So a few poachers here in there.. if flying under the radar screen.. won't hurt the offerings.. because some of the breakfast will end up in the garbage anyways..
Of course, in order to have enough food for those who aren't stealing, the hotel has to provide more. If it allowed poachers only after the published time, that would be different. (E.g. publish that breakfast ends at 10:00AM, but don't clean up and remove everything until 10:15. A guest who shows up at 10:05 gets whatever is still there and doesn't get to complain if there's nothing left.)

Originally Posted by escog
This reminds me of the cafeteria at the Yosemite Lodge. Climbers and other various vagrants would hang out in the cafeteria, and whenever a patron left and had food leftover on their trays, the climbers would swoop down like scavengers and consume the leftovers. For example, if a family of tourists had pizza and there were a few slices left, the climbers would grab those last slices after the family had left.
I wouldn't consider that stealing.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sethb
...I wouldn't consider that stealing.
Perhaps not, but I would consider it disgusting.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's funny to see this old thread again. One of my pet peeves about travelling in the USA is that when you stay in the mid-priced motel chains,you get a "free" breakfast buffet that you really would prefer not to eat. I submit these buffets have food that no restaurant in America could stay in business by serving; it's pretty darn terrible (unless, perhaps, you compare it to getting a box of cereal out of your cupboard at home). But since you've already "paid" for it, you grumble and eat it anyway.

So the idea that anybody would go through the trouble to "steal" this food strikes me as a bit odd. Frankly, you'd be better off collecting food stamps and buying your own food. Indeed, I suspect the low quality of the offerings DOES keep thieves away. There are just better things to steal, and few people would want to eat these breakfasts regularly (even criminals have standards). So I'd guess the "repeat poachers" are more likely to be mentally ill than hungry.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 4:37 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
None of your business if anyone poaches it's the hotel business
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Perhaps not, but I would consider it disgusting.
So two people sharing food is fine, but a third is disgusting?

E.g. I get a pizza and bring it to a table with my friend. How many people can share it before you decide it's "disgusting"?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sethb
So two people sharing food is fine, but a third is disgusting?

E.g. I get a pizza and bring it to a table with my friend. How many people can share it before you decide it's "disgusting"?
Obviously you know what I meant - people who know each other sharing food is not disgusting, but when people leave un-eaten food and strangers come over to finish it, yes, that's disgusting.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously you know what I meant - people who know each other sharing food is not disgusting, but when people leave un-eaten food and strangers come over to finish it, yes, that's disgusting.
So if I'm at some event and decide to share a pizza with people I don't know: disgusting or not?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is similar to eating from some garbage can that isn't even your own. It's very different from sharing food that's meant to be shared, such as pizza or Chinese, where presumably people use serving utensils to help themselves and don't touch the communal food with silverware that has been in their own mouths.

However, I've certainly seem enough bad behavior at buffets and lounges where people touch food, dishes, and silverware that will be used by others with their bare hands, sometimes fondling items before putting them back for others to take.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
You haven't spent much time in hospitals I take it. About the cleanest buildings anywhere.

Yes hospitals are full of "sick" people. But the vast, vast majority of those sicknesses are not contagious. People aren't hospitalized because they have a cold which you can catch. Last time I checked you can't catch cancer or heart disease or a stroke from being next to someone in a hospital.
I work in a hospital and can tell you this is a rubbish idea. I'd stay well clear of hospitals unless you need to be there, plenty of nasties for you to catch on contact.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:05 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
After this thread was recently bumped-up, three years after the last post, it's become more-and-more off-topic. Time to give it the long rest that it's richly earned. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.