Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever see poachers help themselves to a hotel's free breakfast buffet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever see poachers help themselves to a hotel's free breakfast buffet?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by CARose
Not at Hampton Inn, but several times at Embassy Suites for breakfast and the managers evening reception.
Embassy Suites are the only free breakfast properties I've been to that really patrol it.

My coworker would meet me at a Hampton to pick me up and she'd grab coffee.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least half of the managers reception attendees at the Dorado Del Mar Puerto Rico ES are locals related to the ES employees and many are there mucho times a week with their numerous obnoxious kids.

MisterNice
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I guess it's considered an "employee benefit"?

(see also: DL Biz Elite and NRSA's)
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
I've seen freeloaders at many of the Hotels offering freebies. I frequent HIX's more than Hamptons but sometimes its a few people to a lot and I've never seen ID asked for anywhere. At the HIX Flint Michigan 10+ locals would hang out in the lobby lounge all day watching TV, drinking free coffee so it does get out of hand if Management is poor.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
I've also have seen interlopers get into the Concierge Lounge at Marriotts for the evening cocktail time. They go right for the "Honor Bar" and fill their glass to the brim repeatedly with the very best stuff, ie Chivas Regal or Johnny Walker Black without filling out and depositing a card. In most cases the employees working in there know what's going on, but they're just too timid to challenge the uninvited guest. In addition, the interloper will usually take an extra full glass of spirits with them when they leave. IMHO I've always believed that if you make it too easy for people to cheat, they will cheat.

Last edited by maltasr; Jun 14, 2010 at 3:58 pm Reason: grammar error
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
I'm surprised no one has brought this up...

Why on earth would anyone WANT to steal a Hampton free breakfast?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Wouldn't do it now but..

I would never do it now but when I was 21 or so and had no money... A Saturday morning or two might have found me with Hampton waffle...

Not right but I'm just sayin'
Old Jun 14, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond (The Hard Way) Braniff Platinum, Eastern Airlines Gold, Piedmont Airlines Rubix Level
I have seen that several times once this guy ate breakfast and even camped out at the lobby computer for an hour and then when I went to charge my Cell Phone near him the guy snapped at me asking what I was doing.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never seen an outright (obvious) "guy off the street" pilfering a Hampton breakfast. Most Hamptons I've ever stayed in tend to be near a freeway and a string of other similar hotels that have their own similar breakfasts.

But I've never paid close attention either... To echo the previous post, we almost always repack the car before breakfast so I'm sure someone has thought under his breath "here come some freeloaders".

I've utilized the WiFi services offered in hotel lobbies many, many times. Usually not Hamptons - I tend to do this more often at urban hotels. To me that's different: they offer it for free in the lobby without any requirement to actually stay there. If I'm hanging out using it for a while, chances are I'm also ordering a drink from the lobby bar, but I don't feel obligated to.

I've stayed in those combined properties before - HGI + Homewood, Res Inn + Courtyard, or HI + HIX - and sort of wondered what the etiquette was about crossing into the other building for breakfast purposes. I've never done it myself...
Old Jun 14, 2010, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
Here's a topical thread I started in February 2007 - check it out -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...st-buffet.html
Old Jun 14, 2010, 4:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I have seen a variety of folks freeload drinks and food at hotels on occasion, but the most egregious instance remains clear in my mind.

A few years ago, a number of people freeloaded breakfast at the Embassy Suites I was staying in shall we say, "back east". I was able to tell because the freeloaders were all uniformed police officers, and their patrol vehicles were all parked outside. I was told this was a daily occurrence (apparently with an assenting hotel management and a definite lack of ethics -wonder what the expected quid pro quo was?).

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
How do you determine if someone is a guest or not?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 6:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's funny you make this post, my Dad was asking me the same thing last month after he stayed at one.

I will admit that a few years ago when I worked for Enterprise, if I was doing a hotel pick up and my customer was late, I would occasionally sneak a little something for me to eat. But I did it at all hotel chains, so the damage was spread equally
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by gt_croz
I'm surprised no one has brought this up...

Why on earth would anyone WANT to steal a Hampton free breakfast?

LOL I was wondering the same thing
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:59 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
LOL I was wondering the same thing
Me too, esp after my last stay. The brekkie stuck w/me the whole day. It was Ok the first time but not subsequently . . .
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
Doesn't matter who you are, if you offer free food, eventually people will start showing up for it. I've done a bazillion events over the years, and know people will even put on a suit and go up 25 floors in a building if they think there's a chance for them to get some free cocktails.
Remember the scene in UP IN THE AIR...

Crashing the trade show and just picking up the guest badges and making the rounds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.