Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which Movie Will Make Her Want to Travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Movie Will Make Her Want to Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 3:37 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by pbz
She's fed up with the airline experience and panicked at the thought of overseas travel "post 9/11".
I think you need a new partner, a rational one.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I actually can see the "fed up with the airline experience" part.

I think people should see the world and not be reluctant to travel because of what affect 9/11 had on a very corrupt and twisted media-frenzied view fostered throughout the United States, but yeah, airline travel has become much of a hassle for a lot of people over the years.

At least you can more easily see a movie ON a flight these days than in the past and hey, if you do your research on what kind of plane you will be on, you can always entice her with the idea that some international flighst give you like 3-10 choices WHILE snuggling right there on your shoulder throughout the entire journey! Why, she can watch on her own personal screen with new headphones you can buy for her, and you can make this be a pretty entertaining experience! Maybe you will have better luck if you prepare some sort of cool travel pack (or maybe pick one up at REI or on Ebay or something), complete with one of those inflatable head/neck rest things and a promise of a few in flight drinks.

I find sometimes the GF wants to be, well, taken care of or pampered. Plan and have ready pre thought out things that will guide her through the trip possibilities with distracting niceties that tickle her fancies as you know them best. maybe get a limo to the airport, promise a spa somewhere, have a nice dinner reservation on the way to the airport or at the airport if it has decent places to eat, have a couple of her favorite types of books ready, get her a nice fuzzy blankie or pillow to bring with and indicate that "this is so you dont have to lay your pretty lil head on one of those used airline pillows." then, find the in flight movie guide somewhere and show her what's playing, and if she's like some people, she will be more inclined to redeem a coupon or a voucher for a free drink or 3 than to see you spend your money on it for her. What I mean by this is that she may be one of those types who does not want you to waste cash on the drinks (because things like that always cost too much) but she still would love to have one. So if you can get some flight drink coupons, these will actually help her through the trip! Some people I know get them with their elite status packets mailed to them so you may have a friend in here who can front you some. I dunno. or, just whip out the cash and buy all her drinks. Whatever works for ya.

Just try to surround the whole flight date with stuff on EITHER end that can make this as soothing and non threatening as possible. Things can go wrong on any flight--be it some lost baggage issue (ship it to be safe--at least on the outbound, if you can) or something worse like they fail to post your miles! But it's all how you REACT to the problems of life that make it click for ya, and you probably already know that. Sell her on it mate. You can do it! pick what works at home and make it transportable as much as possible for the flight parts. Once at your destination, this chic needs to get out of the comfort zone and see the freakin world or your kids will be more closed minded than the rest of the world thinks much of the USA currently is! Ouch!

(PS, no disrepect meant to the poster above who mentioned it, but if someone were to make me sit thru that movie Lost In Translastion ever again, I would probably die of boredom. Sorry, but unless you happened to have done biz travel in Japan and don't need a story to ever get going in order to be entertained by it, this is just not a good choice of movies IMO)

MM
Old Jan 6, 2007, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Possible useful answer

The last issue of Budget Travel, maybe still available in stores, has a story in the year's ten best movie locations. We did not see more than 3, but all do a good job of selling travel to specific locations. Of particular interest to Mrs BamaVol was "A Good Year", possibly out on video in a couple months, because of the beauty of Southern France where most of it was filmed. It doesn't hurt that it is a story of romance. If your partner enjoys wine and rural countryside, it may make her want to brave the long hours on a plane over the Atlantic.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 8:55 am

No mention of Lord of the Rings?

The landscape's _far_ better in person than on screen. Only regret is I never managed to get to "Edoras".
Old Jan 6, 2007, 8:59 am
pbz
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks for all the great responses guys (and ladies). You all are the best.

A couple folks asked where specifically I am trying to entice travel to... well she is fine with traveling domestically, I've gotten Hawaii and the Caribbean (which is nearly the US, I guess) approved a couple times. The tower has not, however, cleared trips to Europe, or other locations in the Pacific. If I had to create a wish list it would be Croatia, Belgium, Ireland, Slovenia, Netherlands--in Europe-- and places like Fiji, Tahiti, outer Marshall Islands, etc. in the Pacific. I need the culture from Europe and the palm fringed deserted island in the Pacfic.

I have been working hard on making the experience easier, she has the Bucky pillow now and we have been doing limos to airport and they even installed air conditioning one of the places I'm trying to go to.... it is still a battle esp when you've had a couple experiences of lost luggage and the like overseas.... and I will admit I pick some out of the way places to go to, e.g., islands off Croatia, which can make the travel to get there more in time and connections... quite different from the nonstop ORD-HNL.

To the poster who said get the travel channel, I watch it all the time but it would be too overt of a strategy... I'm searching any movie that I can "stumble upon", that just happens to portray in a very positive way the notion of international travel and destinations.

Thanks again... you guys rock^ ^
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
"Failure to Launch" made me want to leave the country.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BamaVol
The last issue of Budget Travel, maybe still available in stores, has a story in the year's ten best movie locations. We did not see more than 3, but all do a good job of selling travel to specific locations.
The article's on their website:

http://budgettravelonline.com/bt-dyn...110801425.html

I recommend "Under The Tuscan Sun," but I'm partial to anything filmed in Italy.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
"A Room With A View"
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:31 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Casanova and Under the Tuscan Sun.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:38 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by mrdini
No mention of Lord of the Rings?

The landscape's _far_ better in person than on screen. Only regret is I never managed to get to "Edoras".

I agree and Mordor is beautiful in the spring.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:57 am
Original Member

Casanova, Bread and Tulips for Venice.

Mediterraneo -- best foreign language film 1992

Cinema Paradiso -- best foreign language film 1990
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:14 pm

Another vote for "Under the Tuscan Sun"
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: UA-1P
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Lost in Translation? I thought it was quite charming.
That's what I was going to say. My wife and I enjoyed "Lost in Translation" so much we went to Japan and stayed in the same hotel, the Tokyo Park Hyatt, and had a really great vacation. The film is full of ideas for things to do in Tokyo.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
L' Auberge Espagnole

Plot Outline: A straight laced French student (Duris) moves into an apartment in Barcelona with a cast of six other characters from all over Europe. Together, they speak the international language of love and friendship.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Silver
Amadeus: It was mostly shot in Prague and the city hasn't changed much.

Love Actually: London (nuff said). Pubs that are older than the country you live in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.