Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using a Bathroom in a Plane

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 1:16 pm

Programs: just above cargo
Originally Posted by MollyNYC
BTW...Men, you're not at home. Please, put the seat down when you're finished!
Wrong! Leaving the seat raised reduces the likelihood that the next inconsiderate doofus will cover it in urine.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT,1.4MM
Up or down?

Originally Posted by MollyNYC
BTW...Men, you're not at home. Please, put the seat down when you're finished!

But wouldn't that be rude for the next person that comes in if it's a male? He'll then have to lift the seat back up and who wants to touch it really? It's a 50/50 shot!
Old Jan 5, 2007, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
No one has mentioned the one thing that should be of concern when using an aircraft lav...sudden turbulence. I am not a nervous flyer and love to fly...but turbulence does come out of nowhere and one could be in the lav when it does. So I get in and get out as quickly as possible....I also wear shoes even if I have to stuff my feet with heavy socks (for comfort) into my shoes and clump down the aisle...I wouldn't put a lot of money on the aim factor being that good.
Edited to add a word about the source of the water in the lav. I know absolutely nothing about holding tanks on planes but I have been boating and around boaters all my life...the same tank provides water for the galley, shower, sinks and the head....I have never seen or heard anyone tell of a problem with lines mixed up allowing water to flow to anyplace other than intended...not that it couldn't happen.... just not heard of it....and an aircraft could be a whole different story....would like to know if it is.

Last edited by VA747; Jan 5, 2007 at 2:48 pm Reason: content
Old Jan 5, 2007, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by secretbunnyboy
Wrong! Leaving the seat raised reduces the likelihood that the next inconsiderate doofus will cover it in urine.
Actually you should put the seat and the cover down! When that thing flushes, I don't want to think about what is released into the air within that little bathroom. Yuck!! I always close it before flushing.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: WorldPerks
Originally Posted by gingeroo
Do what I do, don't wear shoes in the house. Shoes are taken off before anyone enters my house. So nothing gross gets tracked in.

Oh and when I have something delivered, I lay down old sheets so they don't touch my floors/carpets.
We do take our shoes off after walking into the house. Still, the shoes do make contact with a portion of the floor.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Actually you should put the seat and the cover down! When that thing flushes, I don't want to think about what is released into the air within that little bathroom. Yuck!! I always close it before flushing.

Me too!
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:56 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Considering that it sucks air into the toilet not much will be released. And I don't think there's much difference in air-flow weather you close it or not.

What really grosses me off: men who believe they can aim during turbolences and make a mess of the place. Worse are those of course, who admit they won't be able to aim well and attempt it anyway. Would it be too much to ask to just sit down?

HTB.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by VA747
No one has mentioned the one thing that should be of concern when using an aircraft lav...sudden turbulence.
In the book Plane Insanity (highly recommended) he tells of an incident when he was just finishing in the lav and the plane hit extreme turbulence, the liquid from the toilet splashed all over his uniform; and he didn't have a spare with him. Pretty gross...

There is also this excerpt from the book on his site:
A fellow flight attendant told me of another embarrassing sex-in-the-lav story. Soon after a man and woman entered the lavatory together, a flight attendant call button rang. It rang again and again, in a rhythmic pattern that was not unlike the bell at a train crossing. Realizing that the call emanated from the lavatory in which the couple had entered, and that the call button was being bumped repeatedly during the throes of passion, flight attendants stood outside and waited. When the door finally opened, the red-faced couple was presented with a bottle of champagne.
Doesn't seem too appealing to me to do that in an airplane lav, but to each their own.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by cricketdog
... I was desperate but was also wearing very long pants with my 3" heels. I tried to cover the floor with papertowels to absorb some of the moisture and then had to keep my pants hiked to my knees (to keep them from touching the floor) while trying not to touch anything near the toilet with any part of my body. It was painful but thankfully, I believe the only contaminated part of me when I left the restroom was the soles of my shoes. It was disgusting.

I still don't understand how anyone can walk in a public restroom in their barefeet!
So, uh, did you pick up the urine-soaked paper towels on the floor, or leave them for the next person? Hiking your pants should be standard procedure when using any restroom, dry or wet. Same for hovering and keeping your hands away from the toilet.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 8:52 pm

Programs: just above cargo
mythbusters did a thing on the toilet water vaporization thing - although i don't know what the result was.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:54 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by htb
What really grosses me off: men who believe they can aim during turbolences and make a mess of the place. Worse are those of course, who admit they won't be able to aim well and attempt it anyway. Would it be too much to ask to just sit down?

HTB.
Sit in an airplane lav??!!! It would have to be an emergency!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.