Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using a Bathroom in a Plane

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by schwarm
If I could take a book in and not worry about a line forming outside, I would spend the whole flight in the lav.
A great feature of audiobooks -- you can continue listening after you leave your seat.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by flygirl94
I'm not a doc-but this can't be good for you...
i thought this was bad too but most people can sleep through the night without going to the bathroom, unless you drink a lot of water right before falling asleep.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
An hour? I've had them knock on the door after five minutes. I don't try to hog the lav, but on a long flight I have to wash up somehow. I finally figured out a way to brush my teeth in my seat, kinda have to since I don't want to rinse my mouth with the non-potable water in the lav, but I still have to wash my face and so on.

Originally Posted by dgwright99
I know somebody who does pretty much that on long flights if he is in the middle seat. Apparently the FAs usually get worried after an hour or so, but he just tells them he has a bad stomach, and they let him be after that. Pretty gross if you ask me, but each to his own.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by marsel
my feeling exactly! some of them are pretty extreme huh!

and leaves me wondering how the thing actually works? why the meganoise, and how is it all then unloaded? (grateful for any info link or somethin )
I'm curious also. Suspect negative air pressure or something. You certainly don't want any blackflow from the holding tank.

Similar question: is there some sort of mechanical failure that would cause the entire lav to be awash in water? Say 1+ inch on the floor, but also sprayed all over the walls and ceiling? This was water, clear, neither yellow nor blue. It was my first trip to Asia, on an Asian carrier. LAX-NRT-KUL-MAA and I only used the the lav that one time, thinking bad thoughts about entire countries and my fellow passeners, or that the plumbing was just overwhelmed by the number of people in Y. Later I realized it was like some waterline blew and spewed water all over the lav. The return flight had no such problem, and after 3 weeks in India I had reprioritized anyway.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Great misspelling by the OP! ^
I preferred

Originally Posted by Pickles
If I get too Klosterphillic I tend to go quite often.
I use the lav if I have to and don't use it if I don't have to. I never before thought that was odd....
Old Dec 30, 2006, 8:53 pm

The vacuum toilets operate at 3psi for about 4 seconds, which is provided by a pump at low altitude or outside pressure at high altitude. The main plus is they take just 2 liters or less to flush.

Mythbusters on Discovery tested the myth that you could get stuck (or worse) on a vacuum toilet if you were sitting on it when it flushed.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lili
Similar question: is there some sort of mechanical failure that would cause the entire lav to be awash in water? Say 1+ inch on the floor, but also sprayed all over the walls and ceiling?

Since there is no longer a holding tank actually in the lav the only way to have that kind of water is a broken water line.

BTW, Did you know that the toilet flush water comes from the same tank as the potable "drinking" water tank? The only thing separating the toilet bowl sprayers from the water tank is a one-way (we hope it never breaks) check valve.

Bottoms Up!

Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:09 am

Programs: AF&KL FB(P), LX M&M, IB+
Originally Posted by alanh
Mythbusters on Discovery tested the myth that you could get stuck (or worse) on a vacuum toilet if you were sitting on it when it flushed.
and
Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:33 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I sometimes prefer the lavs on the plane over the lavs in the terminal. Especially if you're the first to use it on the plane it's cleaner than the lavs in the terminal. Never thought that would be strange until now...

HTB.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Slightly realted to the topic.

Can someone please explain to me why people use the lav in their stocking feet or worse yet barefoot?! Now that grosses me out every time I see it (especially on a domestic U.S. flight)
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by MikeFly
Slightly realted to the topic.

Can someone please explain to me why people use the lav in their stocking feet or worse yet barefoot?! Now that grosses me out every time I see it (especially on a domestic U.S. flight)
I'm guessing most of what you pick up on your feet will not attack your skin or your body through your skin. It probably washes off in your next shower. I'd be squeamish about it, but it's probably not too unsafe.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
With the number of drinks I request (sometimes, if I'm flying in F or J I'd have 4 different drinks going at once) it's impossible for me not to use the lav.

It's also why I request aisle seats.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by marsel
and
Sorry. Myth busted. Airline toilets are built with a shroud that provides an air gap. Even putting their simulated giant butt (really!) directly on the bare bowl, just a slight shift was enough to break the vacuum. 3 psi isn't enough to suck your insides out either. Adam actually tried it himself. He laughed like crazy but was unharmed.

As for bare feet, I might get disgusted by proxy, but nothing they track in on their bare feet is going to affect me any more than the stuff tracked in on shoes.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:28 pm

I put on my shoes before using rest room, walking to galley, etc. No exceptions for me.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
For me, the secret to avoiding jet lag on long haul/TATL flights is to drink LOTS of water and walk around alot. Sleeping isn't important.

And it just so happens, the two go together- the more water I drink, the more I have to "walk around".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.