Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airport With The Longest Taxi Time

Old Dec 11, 06, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Velocity Awards

I remember landing at Pittsburgh a few years ago and taxiing for ages before I got to the terminal. Can you share with me some of your experiences of time taken from gate to take off or vice versa. Don't include the half hour and longer delays (when we are kept waiting for a variety of reasons) - just taxi times that are long because of the large distance travelled.
Old Dec 11, 06, 2:31 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I want to say JFK but I think it's because of delay involved.

How about ATL?
Old Dec 11, 06, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
Amsterdam Schiphol's "Polderbaan" is by far the longest I've experienced - for short flights from the UK it can take as long again to taxi in from the furthest runway as did the flight.
Old Dec 11, 06, 2:48 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group

Another vote for AMS. And ICN is pretty bad as well.
Old Dec 11, 06, 2:53 am

The longest taxi time I've had I think is in NRT on UA. The captain even made a point to announce that we were being taken on a tour of the airport. Later, he noted that after a certain time, we have to take off from a certain runway. I did get to see the Pokemon jet during that long taxi, though.
Old Dec 11, 06, 3:00 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Yeah .. add AMS to my list. And I'm trying to remember if BKK (Don Muang) had a long taxi as well.
Old Dec 11, 06, 3:18 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Sometimes at LHR one ends up witing what seems ages waiting to cross the active runway. Invariably this "issue" turns early- and on-time arrivals into ridiculous delays. I'd rather be moving (i.e. Polderbaan at AMS) than just sitting aimlessly.

Some people quip that the Polderbaan is Harlem International Airport. A KLM pilot once told me they had received memos demanding that all jokes over the PA by pilots and pursers regarding the Polderbaan be stopped. Management seemingly did not like attention being called to the long taxi.
Old Dec 11, 06, 3:24 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer View Post
Some people quip that the Polderbaan is Harlem International Airport.
It is not THAT far away...
(FYI, Harlem is part of New York, Haarlem is a city in the Netherlands close to the Polderbaan)

I remember that the taxi in Leningrad (LED) was very long. But my trip there was in 1988 so things may have changed.
Old Dec 11, 06, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Are you kidding? The winner has to be DFW. Taxi time measured in miles. I love watching newbies to DFW gather up all their stuff after landing expecting to be at the gate soon.
Old Dec 11, 06, 4:45 am

Polderbaan in AMS in the worst I´ve seen.

http://www.airport-technology.com/pr...schiphol2.html

"Polderbaan is 3,800m long and 75m wide. The Polderbaan is located 2,100m north of Zwanenburgbaan, the 01L-19R runway. The northern tip of the runway is approximately 7km from the Amsterdam Airport Schiphol control tower."

DFW doesn´t seem as bad.

http://www.caesimuflite.com/atcmaps/dfw-lrg.gif
Old Dec 11, 06, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by oldpenny16 View Post
Are you kidding? The winner has to be DFW. Taxi time measured in miles. I love watching newbies to DFW gather up all their stuff after landing expecting to be at the gate soon.
Yup. If there's a South flow and you land on the West side, but are headed for Terminal A, I'd bet that's over 10 miles.
Old Dec 11, 06, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I just had one last night. IAH, landed on Runway 8L. Taxied to the far eastern taxiway, came down south, back west passing all the CO's hangers, left to towards gate at Terminal E.

I measured it on Google Map just now, and it's exactly 4 miles (could be even longer if we were using Terminal B or parts of C).

Landed 7:58p, arrived at gate 8:15p. And there was no wait except stopping for about 1 minute before turning south towards E.
Old Dec 11, 06, 8:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Another vote for the dreaded Polderbaan in AMS.

Also, a North runway landing in LHR can take forever to reach T4 if the queue to cross the South runway stretches back. I've seen it go over 40 minutes at peak times.
Old Dec 11, 06, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also vote for AMS... taxiing time, followed by remote stand, followed by wait for a bus...means you get into the terminal about 30 minutes after landing or more!
Old Dec 11, 06, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum
DFW gets my vote. Once due to wind changes and runway closures we literally jsut drove around for over 45 minutes!! When we did finally get in the air it was a very rough ride and I kind of wish we had just continued our drive there to STL!!!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: