Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need extra pages for Passport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2006, 9:24 am

Programs: UA, Hilton
Originally Posted by chexfan
If you do it an American Embassy overseas, it can usually be done on the spot (within 30 minutes or so) and free. ^
This is what I read many times when the question had been asked before, so when I went to the US embassy in Tokyo, I expected to get it right back the same day. Unfortunately, they told me I had to either pick it up the next day or leave it with them and have it mailed back to me. Since I was leaving the next day, I chose the latter option. It came quickly, though -- within a week -- and there was no fee (I don't even think I paid for postage).

While I'm not doubting that in many places they just do it right away and give it back, you should be aware that if you do it in an embassy it might take a day or two. As always, YMMV.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In Shanghai they told me it would take 20 minutes. Then they told me they couldn't add pages since there was a stain on my passport.

I will try a Euro embassy next week and hopefully get a better response.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
In Shanghai they told me it would take 20 minutes. Then they told me they couldn't add pages since there was a stain on my passport.

I'm just hoping that our government doesn't start refusing the addition of new pages to speed up the transition to the newer e-passports for the more frequent travellers.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by scirel
This is what I read many times when the question had been asked before, so when I went to the US embassy in Tokyo, I expected to get it right back the same day. Unfortunately, they told me I had to either pick it up the next day or leave it with them and have it mailed back to me. Since I was leaving the next day, I chose the latter option. It came quickly, though -- within a week -- and there was no fee (I don't even think I paid for postage).

While I'm not doubting that in many places they just do it right away and give it back, you should be aware that if you do it in an embassy it might take a day or two. As always, YMMV.
The moral is, you have to check the hours and procedures of the particular embassy you intend to visit. You should phone first, before actually going to the embassy. Also, some of them have websites where they list such information (though whether the info is up-to-date is another issue).

I found that the American Embassy in Buenos Aires only listed limited hours on its website during which they handle such passport matters, so I went there during those hours.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to the consulate in Amsterdam and they added my pages without a problem. I brought it in during the morning and it was ready at 2:30pm.

I'm up over 100 pages now. It's getting a bit thick.

Since they are so nice at this consulate, I ordered a second passport so I can have an extra for the times I have to wait several days for certain visas to process. We'll see if the second one has RFID.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:19 pm

I too was also able to get pages added in about 20 minutes. This was at the Taipei, Taiwan US consulate. I had four blank pages left but they still gave me 24 extra pages (I was only 4 years into my passport; have since used half of the supplement).

So if you request and don't get a 48 pager, no need to stress out, just go to a consulate and get the pages added.

For me, they started jamming all the stamps on one page *after* I added the supplement- the first five or six pages of my supplement have 6 or 7 stamps on each page!
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:33 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
The best bet is overseas at a consulate or embassy... the thing is check for consular hours as most are open limited times eg. mornings for foreign citizens, afternoons for american citizens.

I got lucky that a friend I know at State was able to get 26 pages added to mine a few years back and then when I was in Damascus this spring I asked the consular officer I was working with if he could add another 26 pages as mine was almost full again... he did it in less than 1 hr. I'm now up to page K on my second set... I know how stimpy feels!
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Since they are so nice at this consulate, I ordered a second passport so I can have an extra for the times I have to wait several days for certain visas to process.
I didn't know you could have a second one. What do they charge for that?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
I didn't know you could have a second one. What do they charge for that?
$67.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 8:56 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I took mine into Shanghai last week. They literally did it with no charge or hassle in 4 minutes flat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.