Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easing of uk hand baggage restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Only if they are within the maximum permitted size.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:18 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

UK restrictions are still tighter than everywhere else, right? They still are the last remaining "no liquids, gels, creams past the checkpoint" place in the whole world, which essentially forces most of us to check bags.

Plus you are still limited to one bag, period.

I am continuing to scale back my flights FROM the UK in the future to the absolute minimum. No problem flying TO the UK as long as you don't transfer there, as none of these limits are imposed inbound any longer.

This basically means taking Eurostar to the continent, and for my one flight booked before the new rules, that's the change I made.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
UK restrictions are still tighter than everywhere else, right? They still are the last remaining "no liquids, gels, creams past the checkpoint" place in the whole world, which essentially forces most of us to check bags.

I think that the "no liquids through the security checkpoint" rule should change in November, when the new EU-wide rules start to come into force. "One bag" should also become standard across the EU in due course.

A change last week means that liquids bought beyond security can now be taken onboard US-bound flights, bringing them into line with flights to other destinations. (The one exception: NW ex-LGW.) So things are gradually easing.

This means that short trips with cabin baggage only are now feasible again. You just need to stop in the shops beyond security to pick up a small travel-sized tube of toothpaste or whatever. Still slightly irritating, but much better than it was - and only of a limited lifespan now.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: US Dividend Miles, CO Onepass
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that the "no liquids through the security checkpoint" rule should change in November, when the new EU-wide rules start to come into force. "One bag" should also become standard across the EU in due course.
I thought I read somewhere (have no idea where, though) that the new EU rules would include a permanent ban on liquids on flights to the US. I'm not familiar with many airports outside the US, but I don't know how that could be enforced, except with gate checks for all US-bound flights.

Has anyone else heard or read of such or did I totally dream it up (or perhaps I simply got confused with everything I've been reading)? I would prefer to return to Scotland next summer to escape the Texas heat, but I'm checking into Canadian destinations, as I'm a carry-on girl who prefers not to be forced into smuggling on her return trip!

celtia
Old Oct 8, 2006, 1:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by celtia
I thought I read somewhere (have no idea where, though) that the new EU rules would include a permanent ban on liquids on flights to the US. I'm not familiar with many airports outside the US, but I don't know how that could be enforced, except with gate checks for all US-bound flights.
The EU's own FAQ on the subject makes no mention of extra rules for the US, to quote "So the new regulation applies to all flights departing from airports in the EU, whatever their destination and whatever the nationality of the airline."

But to be honest, if you are not travelling until summer 2007, ANYTHING could happen between now and then.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 1:49 pm

One bag isn't enough (especially at the size proposed) for a European business trip of any length, even if my toothpaste is allowed. And of course, in C and F, there is generally plenty of room to carryon a second bag.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 3:32 pm

One bag isn't enough (especially at the size proposed) for a European business trip of any length, even if my toothpaste is allowed. And of course, in C and F, there is generally plenty of room to carryon a second bag.
It's not room on board that's the issue, it's time through security. Security checks are quicker if people carry on less.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 3:47 pm

Security could be even faster if there were no passengers at all, and I intend to support that approach to Heathrow, Gatwick, etc., with my ticket buying patterns from now on.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 4:28 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles, CO Onepass
Originally Posted by bcmatt
The EU's own FAQ on the subject makes no mention of extra rules for the US, to quote "So the new regulation applies to all flights departing from airports in the EU, whatever their destination and whatever the nationality of the airline."

But to be honest, if you are not travelling until summer 2007, ANYTHING could happen between now and then.
bcmatt, Thanks for the link to the FAQ. That's just the info I was looking for. I'm glad to know my fears were unfounded for the time being. I do know that things could change a dozen times before I travel to Europe again. However, I teach elementary school in a very rough neighborhood and always start planning my summer vacations early to stay sane during the year!

celtia
Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:25 pm

Are we allowed to bring a big plastic carrier bag the maximum size and stuff it with smaller bags?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by holidays
Are we allowed to bring a big plastic carrier bag the maximum size and stuff it with smaller bags?
I guess so, if you really wanted to.

You are only allowed one piece of cabin baggage, but the BAA web site mentions you can take other personal items such as a handbag or laptop bag so long as it will fit in that larger piece of cabin baggage.

One bag can have other bags in it, so long as it meets the new dimensions.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I flew through LHR twice last week.

On the first flight I was UA ORD-LHR and then KLM LHR-AMS (T3 to T4)

On this flight I had a bag checked through (with no problems) and a carryon. To test the system, I stuffed my UA C amenity kit into my carryon - this included a very small toothpaste and bottle of lotion - and took it through the FCC security check with no problems. I was very early in the morning and was probably the 2nd person at the FCC the entire day.

On the return, KLM wouldn't check my bag throughto UA so I transfered from T4-T3 landside, with the same amenity kit in my carryon. The person at T3 security (fast track) pointed to something on the scan of my carryon that was clearly the small bottle of lotion and then turned and asked me "is this your bag". When I said "yes" she just shoved the carryon down the rest of the ramp, and I was on my way.

I was able to buy booze in the T3 duty free and to then carry it on to my UA flight, even though I now had 2 carryons. No one blinked an eye.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:14 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist

I am continuing to scale back my flights FROM the UK in the future to the absolute minimum. No problem flying TO the UK as long as you don't transfer there, as none of these limits are imposed inbound any longer.

This basically means taking Eurostar to the continent, and for my one flight booked before the new rules, that's the change I made.
I'm doing something similar next week, but was advised that CDG is currently banning all liquids, etc. in carryons for flights to the US and UK and, indeed, won't even allow "solids" such as lipsticks.

Edited to add:

While the above was the case, it no longer is. CDG is now allowing the plastic baggies with small size toiletries in carryons, and I have to say security seemed more interested in my electronics than in my Ziploc!

Last edited by rfrost; Oct 17, 2006 at 11:09 am
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Sorry but can anyone advise whether flights FRA-LHR allow liquids on board? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.