Search

Easing of uk hand baggage restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Talisman
a) restrictions may be relaxed in size, to 56 x 45 x 25 cms

I for one would be happy to pay another GBP 2 on the ticket to take standard IATA and laptop bags on board.
Thanks for posting this report.

Sorry if I'm being dim, but isn't 56 x 45 x 25 cm the standard bag size anyway? I know that if it's one bag only, it's still a restriction from what some airlines were allowing, but one standard bag would be a good start.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 5:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Slight improvement

Latest update from DfD in London:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ut_612280.hcsp

Larger hand luggage (56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm ) allowed from tomorrow, but liquid ban at security still in place. Musical instruments permitted again in the cabin.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by bcmatt
Latest update from DfD in London:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ut_612280.hcsp

Larger hand luggage (56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm ) allowed from tomorrow, but liquid ban at security still in place. Musical instruments permitted again in the cabin.
Thanks so much for posting this. I am soooo happy now! Who needs toothpaste...at least I won't be walking around in dirty clothes because my bag got lost at LHR.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm still trying to translate this.

You can't carry liquids, etc. through security but you CAN buy them in the terminal and then take them on the plane? Boots must be ecstatic!

Except to US, right?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
I'm still trying to translate this.

You can't carry liquids, etc. through security but you CAN buy them in the terminal and then take them on the plane? Boots must be ecstatic!

Except to US, right?
Yes and yes, but this was already the case before today's most recent changes.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
I've just been thinking about this myself.

The last few trips that I've done, the size restriction has meant that I have had to check something anyway. So I've just thrown my own toothpaste, deodorant, etc. into that bag and used stuff from the lounge for the bare necessities.

But now that I can bring a weekend bag again, I think I'm more likely to go shopping at Boots because I will resume carrying everything on - which means that I must shop before I fly.

Now remind me, is it still only one minute from the front door of the T1 Terraces to the new location of Boots?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flew out of Gatwick Sunday (9/17). Carryon size (a wooden insert over the usual box) prohibited anything like a normal carryon. We stuffed as much as we could into a small shoulder bag and checked the carryons. They tossed the shoulder bag and found my toilet kit -- grabbed out some athlete's foot cream. Everything else was stuffed into the suitcase, having had a bad experience on ORD getting to LHR the previous week.

All in all, they were essentially allowing nothing bigger than a purse, and no liquids or gels of any kind.

So if they've changed, I didn't see it.

I have no idea how you'd get through with a laptop bag, since most of them would not fit into the new size restrictions. I'd sure hate to check a laptop.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
I have no idea how you'd get through with a laptop bag, since most of them would not fit into the new size restrictions. I'd sure hate to check a laptop.
You must be flying with a very big laptop... got mine to fit in the tiny sizer without any problem.

Anyway, it soon won't be an issue any more....
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
You must be flying with a very big laptop
Actually, I was thinking of the bag they usually travel with, with the mouse and power brick and so on.

And that slot was pretty small.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Flew out of Gatwick Sunday (9/17). Carryon size (a wooden insert over the usual box) prohibited anything like a normal carryon. We stuffed as much as we could into a small shoulder bag and checked the carryons. They tossed the shoulder bag and found my toilet kit -- grabbed out some athlete's foot cream. Everything else was stuffed into the suitcase, having had a bad experience on ORD getting to LHR the previous week.

All in all, they were essentially allowing nothing bigger than a purse, and no liquids or gels of any kind.

My laptop bag fits, with all the gubbins. Trick is to not have an oversize laptop or an oversize laptop bag And if I carry the laptop, I can't carry much else, and trying to fit my handbag inside it would be a nightmare

And the change is due to happen from tomorrow - hence the lack of variation on the flights you have already taken.

One point to note - still only one bag to be allowed on. Not one bag and a handbag etc as it was before
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:28 pm

The ONLY change to the rules is that the bag size is bigger - and not all airlines (eg Ryanair) are going to allow the full 56x45x25.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All in all, they were essentially allowing nothing bigger than a purse ... I have no idea how you'd get through with a laptop bag, since most of them would not fit into the new size restrictions.
This is a wild exaggeration. Both of my laptop bags are significantly smaller than the current permitted size, and the bag that I actually travel with and have successfully got into the sizers is actually a laptop backpack - ie enough for laptop plus bits, and also other personal things on top.
Plainly you didn't see the words "From Friday 22 September", either.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by alanR
The ONLY change to the rules is that the bag size is bigger - and not all airlines (eg Ryanair) are going to allow the full 56x45x25.
This is a major improvement, though. It will allow me to fly with only carry-on rather than being forced to check my bag (and then have it get lost). I am the kind of person who can travel for weeks with a rollaboard, so it is a massive positive for me that I can now carry on all of my baggage. Buying toothpaste at my destination is a minor issue. And I will live without conditioner for my hair.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 4:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by travelmad478
This is a major improvement, though. It will allow me to fly with only carry-on rather than being forced to check my bag (and then have it get lost). I am the kind of person who can travel for weeks with a rollaboard, so it is a massive positive for me that I can now carry on all of my baggage.
Ditto. Still can't bring that nice duty free with me though (can't get it airside UK) It would also be nice to be allowed a 2nd small bag/personal items.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
If the bit about Ryanair is true, it seems a bit ironic given how vocal Ryanair was against the recent security measurements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.