Wiki Posts
Search

Question for Term Paper

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Question for Term Paper

I'm currently taking a class entitled Strategic Marketing Management in Aviation and am doing a term paper on in-flight services. I'd like to ask the FT community for their opinions on the following question. Please PM me with your answers, so as not to influence anyone else's response (i.e., please don't post any replies here before Sunday, 30 July -- after that the paper will be done, anyway).

The question is:

To what extent do you base your choice of airline -- on either a regular or an ad hoc basis -- on the in-flight services offered?

Please be specific on what services you consider, what airline wins the competition, and why. By in-flight services I mean anything having to do with the experience on board the aircraft: seat comfort, entertainment options, catering, and so on. I am specifically NOT interested in the influence of particular frequent flyer programs, routes, schedules, and fares; however, if these are the only things you care about, please do feel free to tell me that in-flight options have no bearing on your decisions.

Also, feel free to give different responses for different types of travel. I can understand fully that you might have different ideas for domestic US, trans-Atlantic, and trans-Pacific flights.

Finally, if you're in a situation that you fly what flight you're told to fly on and have no say in the matter, please answer according to your personal preference.

I realize this is an unscientific poll, and it will be so noted in my paper. I'm just trying to get an idea of what ideas work and what don't.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:04 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Have you considered using one of the free survey websites availavle to ask more targetted questions and have more scoreable answers (would also solve the not solving here)
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lehava
Have you considered using one of the free survey websites availavle to ask more targetted questions and have more scoreable answers (would also solve the not solving here)
Not for this particular question. I'm more interested in qualitative answers, rather than quantitative (or, in academic terms, I'm asking a single essay question rather than any multiple-guess).
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
What school are you attending? -- It's unusual to have a paper due this time of year unless its a summer class or a make up.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:16 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
hope my PM helps.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:18 pm

It depends on the length of the flight.

For short flights (< 2 hrs), I don't care anything about in-flight service. It's whoever has the lowest airfare.

For longer flights, assuming all airlines have the same airfare, I am interested in the following (in order of importance):

4) Seat comfort
3) Entertainment (movie, tv, power outlets for laptops, etc.)
2) Food options
1) Ability to select my seat online at time of booking
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
In order of greatest importance:

1) Ability to select premium seating (exit rows)

2) Power port availability - the flights are immeasurably more bearable if I can watch DVDS or catch up on reading e-mail

3) (fairly low priority) A selection of diet soft drinks offered (example Diet Dr. Pepper on AA)
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:58 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Long Haul:

1. Seat comfort.
2. Entertaiment.
3. Choice of food/complimentary bar.
4. Ability to earn miles in my chosen programme (preferably at 1 x if on a cheaper economy ticket).

Short Haul:

1. Cost above all else.
2. Service if the price isn't much more. For example, flying out of MAN to European destinations, I would generally pick AF/KLM/LH/Swiss over the local carriers (BMI and BA) because these airlines usually cost about the same but still give me a sandwich and a glass of wine (plus tea).
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Private Message sent as requested.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoingAway
What school are you attending? -- It's unusual to have a paper due this time of year unless its a summer class or a make up.
This is an online MBA program through Embry-Riddle. Classes are offered year-round, 3½ months each starting on the odd-numbered months (January, March, etc.). Needless to say, this is an MBA in Aviation (for those who aren't familiar with it, the full name of the school is Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University).
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dliesse
To what extent do you base your choice of airline -- on either a regular or an ad hoc basis -- on the in-flight services offered?
Since you mentioned seat comfort, I fly UA specifically to get into E+. I used to fly CO but, when I moved to SFO, I stopped getting upgrades, despite being platinum. By switching to UA, I always get E+, which gets me an extra 5 inches of leg room over the other legacy carriers. I also get the odd operational upgrade and upgrades with certs.

There are no other in cabin amenities that make so much difference to me that it would affect my choice of carrier.

Other than reserved seats, that is -- I will never fly Southwest, but that's not the only reason.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I think this is really a psych test to see how many people actually READ the OPs request, and respond accordingly. It's very interesting to see how many people are ignoring the part about PM'ing the answer so your response doesn't sway others @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.