Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite North American city?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your favorite North American city?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Hmmm, that's a tough one. Let's see...

Santa Fe
Washington DC
San Francisco
New York
Denver/Colorado Springs
Montreal
Toronto
Vancouver

Is the Carribean considered North America? St. Kitts, Grand Cayman, St. John

Those are all to visit - to live would be a very different list - probably only one of the above.

Harrisburg? Did someone say Harrisburg? PA? Really? <g> - I'm spending quite a bit of time there.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I don't care what anyone says...

I love Los Angeles (no, not downtown, maybe I should say Los Angeles area)
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P
New York
Chicago
Seattle
Miami
San Francisco
D.C.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Velocity Awards
PIT, NYC, HNL (if that counts)
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by etch5895
Wouldn't that technically be a European city?
I thought Greenland was considered Part of NA.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles
Favorite for living or visiting?

Because of my involvement in music, and the music scene, I live in L.A. I generally love being in California because of the beauty and weather. But I'd rather live in the south (Dallas, TX is one place). For visiting, though, I must agree, the San Francisco bay area is just incredibly beautiful and it's really easy to get around. I'd never live there though, too expensive, and too many weirdos.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I had to pick a second favorite, it would definately go to NYC. Yes I know weather can be a living hell during winter & summer and that rudeness/inpatience is also an issue at times. But the various activities to do and enjoy is what makes it a special place for me. Unlike the Ghost Town that plagues Downtown L.A. after dark, I can kick back at Times Square following sunset with much illumination and vibrancy.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Montreal, QC - Something a little different, plenty of fun things to do.

Juneau, AK - Beautiful area, delicious seafood, a must visit.

New Orleans, LA - Best food in the world, unique, Bourbon St.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:22 pm

Programs: PC
I guess I'm biased towards NYC because it's the only North American city that I've lived in, but it definitely ranks as my favorite, worldwide even.

Besides the above-mentioned things, what I find fascinating is the love affair those citizens have with their city...in the case of every single American that I've met around the world, if they lived even for a short portion of time in New York, the answer to "Where are you from?" will invariably be that city, not the surrounding country
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Home sweet home......New York. Anything you could ever want can be had in NYC (well most anything)

I grew up up at the end of JFK's 22L

#2 would be Boston (I'm a Sox fan who was born in Queens, go figure)
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
1. San Diego, San Diego, San Diego!!!! That's why I'm here!
2. Boston, MA - Perfect mix of great culture, commerce, and academia
3. Calgary, AB

4. Did I mention San Diego??
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:17 am

Programs: UA, AA
Talking

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I don't care what anyone says...

I love Los Angeles (no, not downtown, maybe I should say Los Angeles area)
^ ^ ^
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:24 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Big Apple by far

"New York City, comes in #1 for the sixth consecutive time as the U.S. city people would choose to live in or near."
http://www.harrisinteractive.com/har...ex.asp?PID=593
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Preferred, HHonors Silver, United Mileage Plus, Former SW RR Companion Pass
Favorite North American Cities

In no particular order:

New York - has everything - culture, restaurants, shopping, nightlife. If you can't find something to do...you're not trying hard enough...but am not sure if I'd want to live there full time.

Chicago - again, great culture and architecture, restaurants and nightlife. People are midwestern and therefore seem more friendly. Traffic and winter weather might make it a different conversation in terms of living there....

Washington, D.C. - always have to vote for your hometown.

Honorable Mentions:

Seattle and San Francisco.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:54 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Depends on what you are looking for:

For physical beauty and good food and culture: San Francisco and Vancouver; Santa Fe honorable mention.

For food, culture, excitement, shopping: NYC with no other city even close

OK city with proximity to the spectacular: Calgary, which is 1.5 hours to Banff National Park; Denver honorable mention.

Best ocean: Puerto Vallarta or other Mexican Pacific Coast city (I assume you are talking about cities large enough to merit the distinction of a city).

Fun ambience, good food, different culture: Montreal (part of the city are very pretty and there are lovely areas outside the city).

Sightseeing: NYC, Washington DC, Boston.

Colonial charm: San Miguel de Allende.

For living, it again depends upon what you like. I like Boston and San Francisco, but would consider living in Calgary and Denver. Boston probably has more interesting people per capita and you can live in very nice places close to the city. San Francisco is exciting and beautiful. Calgary and Denver are near the mountains, which bring out my sense of spirituality. Lots of people would prefer to live in smaller, more family oriented towns that are pretty boring to a tourist but can be great places to raise kids (Omaha, Cleveland, ... ). Lots of people would also prefer living in places with lower real estate costs and hence lower costs of living. Strikes me as a pretty good idea as well.

Last edited by shawbridge; Jul 24, 2006 at 12:00 pm Reason: new thoughts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.