Reload this Page >

Jealous bosses

Jealous bosses

Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by avidflyer
You need a course in "managing your manager"
That's the thing. I think I manage him too much and this was a case of him trying to irritate me by showing me he was still calling the shots.

I would just tell him I was going to change it until the last night and he wouldn't have had a problem I'm sure, but I just found out I have to take a new girl I hired with me for training at my corporate office and I don't want to put her through the whole hotel swap thing on her first trip just so I can get my points.

The Wyndham actually looks a little nicer anyway.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Is is possible to score a comp with Wyndham? I admit to knowing nothing about their program.

You could pay the difference between you're room and a suite for one night and tell your boss that you were upgraded.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Fraser
Over-reaction? Admittedly it is a mild annoyance but if this is the extent of his 'jerkness' then the wood has been lost from the trees.
Of course it's an overreaction to one incident. As I originally posted, I suspect it is only one example of this behavior. As the OP has since mentioned that this is a new boss, I see it as his way of establishing who's the boss. The guy is insecure and it will show in many ways, none of them pleasant surprises.

The OP should get a new job, but should take his time about it.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmplatinum
He is a new manager and he promoted me ...

I think your priorities are a bit skewed by reading FT
You got promoted so no need to antagonize your boss even if you feel he acts silly.

BTW bragging about hotel/airline status in front of less travelled coworkers (and especially supervisors) doesn't help one's career. Just enjoy your perks quietly on your own or later with your family/friends.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Is is possible to score a comp with Wyndham? I admit to knowing nothing about their program.

You could pay the difference between you're room and a suite for one night and tell your boss that you were upgraded.
The Wyndham by request program doesn't actually give hotel points, it gives you 500 frequent flyer miles in your choice of one of several airlines. It also gives you a welcome snack and beverage, in your room, at check-in, allows you to request extra pillows, blankets, and towels, prior to check-in, and will give you the best available room when you check-in. It also gives you free HSIA and domestic long distance calling. If you're not a member now, you'd need to sign up, then call to have your number added to the reservation. You can find more info here.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
My boss was on the road for years, so he is glad I get the perks, and the travel. He travels only once a month now, and is happier to be home more.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold VIP
Thanks for the info kipper. 500 airline miles is a disappointment when compared to 35,000 HH points, but I will give it a try. Just joined Wyndham By Request.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
Do like I do with my boss. Tell him that he should travel more in order to get to the higher levels. I actually have a great relationship with my boss and he can take some ribbing on my part over how I'm Diamond and he is silver or gold.

I ALWAYS get the better room. ^
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by avidflyer
You need a course in "managing your manager"
I second that!! ^ ^ Nothing like "conditioning" da man!

I think he is intimidated by me and this is somewhat of a chessy way for him to feel like he is the man. Oh well, not enough to quit over, but it annoying to say the least. I'm tempted to call and cancel 4 nights of the Wyndham reservation and just stay at the Hilton until the night everyone else gets into town.
Since this is company travel, can you compare rates, if this hasn't already been done, and see which is best for the nights in question? How can your boss dispute, "saving the company money" to the corporate bean counters?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
I second that!! ^ ^ Nothing like "conditioning" da man!

Since this is company travel, can you compare rates, if this hasn't already been done, and see which is best for the nights in question? How can your boss dispute, "saving the company money" to the corporate bean counters?
Based on the OP's description of the boss in question, I think this would be perceived as another way of showing him up, and is likely to provoke another unpleasant reaction such as requiring him to stay at Motel 6 from now on.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:09 am

Anybody else have a jealous boss that purposely puts you in a non-Hilton hotel because you get better upgrades at Hilton than he does?

My boss is Silver and I am gold and always get the Exec Level and many times a suite. He gets neither. So, today he is deciding where we should stay and notes that I would absolutely prefer the Hilton and picks Wyndham.

It should be noted that I will be there an entire week while everyone else will be there for 1 night.
Tell him you refuse the Wyndham, and also get him to tell you outright he is doing it because of your status.

This boss sounds like the type who likes to ruin careers simply because he does not like a particular person. He has an ego, and is probably a coward.

I had a boss like that and beat him up in the garage one evening. I told him if he reported it, I would beat him up again. Then every year before my annual performance appraisal, I would remind him that I would be displeased if he did not rank me as the top employee. He finally quit and went elsewhere. Everybody thanked me. It's a jungle out there

M8
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:33 am

I think this is just his way at getting back at me for agitating him about having better status.
Oops!
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Based on the OP's description of the boss in question, I think this would be perceived as another way of showing him up, and is likely to provoke another unpleasant reaction such as requiring him to stay at Motel 6 from now on.

(Gasping sounds & clutching pearls) NOT the Motel 6!!!
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:05 am

You've brought it on yourself

"I think this is just his way at getting back at me for agitating him about having better status."

As my grandmother used to tell me, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Why in the world would you agitate your boss about a status that you've no doubt gotten primarily through travel at the company's expense?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:28 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
This is why I just gave my manager Premier Associate status when I passed the 40K mark on UA... Gives a little back without costing me anything and then he "thinks" I'm being really good to him...

I think this is just his way at getting back at me for agitating him about having better status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.