Wiki Posts
Search

Reimbursment For Costs Associated With A Canceled Vacation Due To Work Reasons

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2006, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by TN_Again
Probably the complete opposite of my reaction. If my employer tried to cancel a planned vacation for any reason, that would be the last day I worked there. Compensated or not - I would walk. Your life isn't going to begin and end with a job - and attitudes like the post above are a significant part of what is wrong with this country as a whole.

Poor planning? Please....
Don't come here next. May I suggest you look for your next job in France.
Old May 11, 2006, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The professional is willing to postpone his vacation to get the job done but that doesn't mean he shouldn't expect compensation for the costs incurred by doing this.
Old May 11, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by casapasqual
what kind of fantasyland are you living in? there is this sense of entitlement, a feeling that the world owes you everything. whatever happened to taking some responsibility for ones own poor planning? the author of the post was a bit sketchy on the details but from what i can tell, he/she/shim is dreaming.

and if someone came to me with that proposal, i would tell them, "sure, here's your $800 for your Emirates ticket, but you won't be getting the $2,000 holiday bonus ever again" and i would encourage them to resign at once.
So what you are saying is that employees having applied and had approved vacation must book all vacation components at the most flexible/refundable levels (ie full fare, rack rates) purely due to the chance that the employer will turn around and rescind the vacation previously approved. If that is the case I would want to be compensated at a higher level to allow for the higher vacation costs required/necessitated by such employment policies. Alternatively, employers should buy travel insurance policies to cover employee vacation costs should they need to be cancelled.

Why should the cost of rescision of business decisions be borne by the employee?
Old May 11, 2006, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
My employer has been very reasonable in the past. One time, I had an award ticket booked on a Friday afternoon at 6pm to leave town. Ordinarily, this isn't a problem. Just arrive at 7am and leave at 4pm. However, in the meantime, one of my co-workers had quit and there was a board presentation.

I spoke with my boss and said that I was willing to stay all evening and take a flight the next morning. Initially, I was willing to pay to $50 change fee and didn't inquire about reimbursement. He generously asked if there was a change fee. I said, "Yes, but don't worry about it". He said, "No, we're asking you to stay late so we should pay the $50." and they did.
Old May 11, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
what kind of fantasyland are you living in? there is this sense of entitlement, a feeling that the world owes you everything. whatever happened to taking some responsibility for ones own poor planning? the author of the post was a bit sketchy on the details but from what i can tell, he/she/shim is dreaming.

and if someone came to me with that proposal, i would tell them, "sure, here's your $800 for your Emirates ticket, but you won't be getting the $2,000 holiday bonus ever again" and i would encourage them to resign at once.
I agree; if I ended up working for a company with such a vindictive attitude, it would be best for both parties to end the business relationship!

As a working professional, it's best for me to request approval for vacations in advance (when possible). My company doesn't have to approve all my vacations, but once that vacation is approved, I would expect to be reimbursed if my company later needs me to cancel it for work reasons.

On the other hand, I have also made plans without first approving it with my company. I am fortunate to not have to plan all my vacations in advance, but if I make plans without first getting approval from my company, I don't expect to be reimbursed if my company needs me to work. Sometimes, I eat change fees when this happens, and that's ok by me.

I'm assuming that the OP's vacation time was approved by his company well in advance, in which case it would be very reasonable for his company to reimburse the OP for any and all costs involved with cancelling his trip.
Old May 11, 2006, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I agree with most of the posters. If the vacation time had been approved in advance, I'd tell my manager what it would cost me out of pocket to cancel my plans, and give him or her the choice of making me whole or letting me take the vacation as scheduled.

I don't do this when the vacation time hasn't been approved yet--in such a case I was taking the risk. I also don't do this when the loss is minimal (say, a $100 change fee) AND I will end up getting at least as much personal benefit out of the trip (like an extra day to play in a city I wouldn't ordinarily get to).

I often run close to my maximum vacation accrual, and schedule a vacation just in time to avoid having the accrual stop. If I were asked to postpone a vacation timed so that that would cause vacation accrual to stop, I would also insist on having an exception made to the maximum, either openly or under the table. At 4 weeks PTO/year, having vacation accrual stop amounts to roughly an 8% pay cut, which I'm certainly not willing to take as a favor to my employer.
Old May 11, 2006, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I'd say that the company should reimburse the $800 and a good manager would take the initiative to ask about the impact to the employee and offer the reimbursement. The employee should not have to ask for it.

However, if the company doesn't offer, I would be a little careful about seeking the reimbursement. Being too aggressive about seeking reimbursement might leave a bad impression in some organizations.
Old May 11, 2006, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Looks like your topic isn't generating that much interest so i'll make a sympathy posting here.

i think your employer should not have to pay. you are the one that decided to save money with the non-refundable ticket, right? had you bought a more expensive refundable ticket, you woulnd't be in this situation.
Hmmmmm, I'm going to try and walk a fine line of not calling anyone names here... but that's an idiotic take.
Old May 11, 2006, 3:07 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Whose poor planning? You cannot allege poor planning unless you can state what alternative that is not tremendously more expensive would constitute good planning.

Any good company will offer to reschedule your previously approved vacation through its travel department at no cost to you, or to reimburse you for out of pocket expenses for your changing your vacation, or reschedule personnel so as not to need you.

There is a difference between being professional and being exploited. There is such a thing as life outside Microsoft or life outside Coca Cola or life outside Delta Airlines or life outside Disney Corp.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old May 11, 2006, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks guys.

I e-mailed my boss yesterday and I will be reimbursed if I have to cancel my plans. He also offered to give me extra time-off as compensation, which I certainly didn't ask for (but will gratefully accept).
Old May 11, 2006, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Good for you ^^^
Old May 11, 2006, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Excellent! ^

(I was going to make a comment about the trolls going on vacation too, but I won't. )
Old May 11, 2006, 3:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Sounds like an excellent resolution ^ Will you make the Brisbane Do if there's no work conflicts?
Old May 11, 2006, 3:32 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Good for you. I think you handled things in a very professional way and I dont think it was an unreasonable thing to bring up at all. I am sure your employer was happy to pay the relatively small cost to ensure you are around to facilitate the deal you are working on.
Old May 12, 2006, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by tom911
Sounds like an excellent resolution ^ Will you make the Brisbane Do if there's no work conflicts?
No such luck. I was planning on going, but we have a company-wide lawyers conference for the three days before Memorial Day that I could miss, so I scheduled the vacation around it. Now I'll likley be missing that too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.