Search

Beachfront GIG hotel suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Beachfront GIG hotel suggestions?

Hi All,

I just mad reservations to fly to GIG later this month for 10 days. I'll be meeting up with a girlfriend and am looking to book a hotel on either Copacabana or Ipanema beach. I'm looking to go fairly upscale (USD$100-200/night), but not insane ($300-400).

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Welllll You might want to see if the Le Merridian is running any specials-also the Marina Suites are very nice,
I stayed at a great place-The Royal Rio-but it was three blocks to Copacabana-but under $100 usd with tax.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Stay in Ipanema

I would suggest staying in Ipanema rather than Copacabana as it is safer and has lots of nice restaurants and shopping. We stayed at the Ipanema Plaza a 4* hotel a block from the beach, whichh I would highly recommend. A large room (i think they call it Deluxe) is about $150 I believe, although with the dollar the way it is, it may be more.

Have a great trip! Rio is wonderful.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do not want to stay in Copa, far seedier and dangerous. You want either Ipanema or Leblon. The Caesar Park is the best option, but probably out of your range. Another option with much better beach is Barra, but probably too far out for you if you don;t know Rio.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP 2M, Starwood Gold
a really good and non biased guide for hotels is www.tripadvisor.com

type in rio de janeiro and check out the rankings and personal reviews by travellers.

but i have to agree, try to avoid ipaniema. cheap tourists and therefore easy prey for the criminals. also don't wear a fancy watch and tell your partner to leave the jewlery at home!

leblon and ipanema are great.

marina all suites is very nice as well.

don't bother with staying in barra. its too far away (25min drive) and very americanized.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I also concur with staying in Ipanema over Copacabana. Copacabana was really unpleasant. Ipanema was much nicer and we walked around at night on the main streets without feeling in danger.

I stayed at Everest Park Hotel and thought it was a nice place and a very good deal. It is just behind a hotel facing the beach. Google it and check out their family of hotel's Website.

Around this time last April, we paid $101 plus taxes for a double bed room and it included breakfast.

I thought Rio's location was spectacular.

Check the South America forum on FT for more info.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:31 am

Yes Ipenema is "nicer"and a little safer-but I am tired of seeing Copacabana bashed.I had a great stay in a real neighborhood and while there were beggars and a few people sleeping in the streets I was glad to have a "different"experience out of my safe and sterile life here in Pasadena.
I kept my wits about me,treated the locals with respect,did not get intoxicated-guess what?NO TROUBLES!
You still have to look over your shoulder in Ipanema.So don't let the plush hotels and expensive restaurants and stores lead you into thinking all is safe.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I liked Ipanema much better. I also thought that Copacabana was much rockier and the water seemed dirty and murky. Even if Copa had wonderful nightlife, etc I would still recommend Ipanema because the sand was much softer and the water was clear
Old Apr 5, 2006, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"REAL NEIGHBORHOOD??!!" Go stay in Jardim Botanico, Botafogo, Flamengo or even TIJUCA if you want a "real neighborhood". Yes 300,000 people live in Copa/Leblon and it was one of the most densely populated miserable places in Rio. Any Carioca that can avoid living there does so (barring certain seafront buildings), the area is about 40 years past its prime and everyone knows it. As for Barra, Americanized?? What does that mean? Yes there are malls, etc, however they are in actual fact nowhere near the beach. Architecture?? With the exception of a few "ancient buildings/areas of El Centro" very few if any buildings in all of Rio are particularly striking or old and if somewhat clean, cleaner beaches and less crime means "more Americanized" so be it.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:52 am

In the area of Copacabana I was in (rua Duvvier-3 blocks from the beach)there were some very nice apartment and condo buildings.
I can sure see how some would feel less than safe.But I enjoyed myself,walked around alot(also at night-but only on well lit streets)shopped at the great market and a pharmacy around the corner,ate at some great restaurants near the hotel,and met some very nice folks.

Since I used the subway(very clean,very modern)to get around a lot then Copacabana worked best for me.

But some folks feel threatned when they are not in a sterile disneyfied ,"safe"enviornment.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lucky for you then that there is hardly any "disneyfied" area of Rio save one or two streets in Copa!
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
JW Marriott in Copacabana

I've been to the JW Marriott, right in the heart of Copacabana and on the beach...and it is a nice property, right in the heart of Copa. As for the safety issue, most anywhere in Rio is not terribly safe on foot. Seasoned travellers who I work with only take taxis.

That being said, it is a great city!

Just checked the JW and the rate is between the OP's low range and "insane range".

Have fun.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:19 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Your best bet...

There's always an argument as to what is better, George Michael says Copacabana and then Madonna says Ipenema. I tell ya -

Nonetheless, having been to Rio many times (I am 35, so let's say between the ages of 30 and until just last month), the Copacabana Palace is absolutely beautiful but expensive, as is the newer JW Marriott, which is also nice. However, and I don't know how anyone can argue this, you go one block in from the beach front (literally the back of the hotels, and you do NOT feel safe at all.

Ipanema Beach is much more pleasant. And if you could spend the extra money or scrape up some points, the Shearaton Rio isn't THAT bad. It isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. They just got through renovations, so it's better than I expected when I stayed there for the first time last month.

Have fun in Rio, watch your things, no showy stuff, carry little cash, and have a GREAT time.

UG
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Because they are still working on the subway extension to Ipanema, they have a special set of buses that go to/from Ipanema to the Copacabana station entrace. Really simple and easy.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386850

I went to Rio for NYE last year and wrote a trip report. You may find it helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.