Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

ever spend New Years or Christmas in the airplane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ever spend New Years or Christmas in the airplane?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
New Years Eve 31 Dec 1970 from ORY-JFK-LAX. Was flying up front thanks to those lovely 10$ surcharges on TWA and we had champagne as we flew across the US. It was really something else for me as I was 17.

We had spent 26 Dec -31 Dec in Paris and it was my first international trip. How much fun could a kid have?

airlinebrat53
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I Have spent christmas morning on a plane every year for the last 7. Since I met my wife in 97 we've spent christmas eve with her family, then gotten up at 4 am to make a 6am flight to spend christmas with my family.

This year we're canning that so I get to wake up in my own bed on christmas morning.

Ah....
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:50 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
On Y2K day, flight from LHR to YYZ on CP. Very empty 763 (maybe 60 pax at most), and what should have been a 7 1/2 hour flight turned into nine hours because of strong headwinds, but everyone was in a party mood anyway, and we didn't mind the extra time.

A few years back on an AA MD80 redeye from LAS to YYZ with a stop in ORD (through flight) on Christmas Day. Packed full to ORD, then 15 pax continuing on to YYZ. The FA's all dressed in Christmas colors, singing carols over the PA.

bj-21.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:06 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I've spent 12/31 on DL planes in 2001-2004 flying MUC-ATL-PDX. Usually get in just before midnight PST. Not a lot of party going on, but the planes are usually empty and upgrade availability is great. I've also flown on July 4th, also great for upgrades.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 5:50 am

Christmas Day last year. After landing, the pilot announced that any presents accidentally left on board would be distributed among the crew.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 7:12 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Not on the plane, but I once celebrated New Year's on an overnight train from Munich to Venice. The train left Munich at about 11:40 p.m. The Germans celebrate New Year's much like Americans celebrate the 4th of July, i.e., with lots of fireworks. Except that, whereas in the U.S. many locales forbid private fireworks, in Germany the New Year's fireworks are almost exclusively backyard or street-corner affairs.

It was an unexpectedly magical experience to stand by the window of our darkened couchette compartment, floating serenely through the darkness that was punctuated by town after town overflowing like a boiling pot with silent, flaming skies.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, Qantas
I've been on various flights in Asia on Dec 25th, can't remember anything special.

A couple of years ago, I flew from JFK to HKG on the night of the 24th, arriving early on the 26th, and I remember they had extra wine and fortunately stopped the Xmas carols after we crossed the dateline.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
New Year's Eve on AA in the late 90s on a transcon JFK/LAX - champagne, countdown, and football scores read over the PA.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:13 am

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
looking forward to Xmas morning

Which will be my arrival time in NADI, FIJI, for the honeymoon!
Love Christmas Flights... !
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:18 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to ask that on FT? Long before I had heard the term "mileage run" and long before FT existed, I did SFO-JFK-SFO on Delta on Xmas day to get to second level elite status! Got two airline Xmas dinners.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I spent New Years Eve on an AA 767-300ER last year ORD-BRU.

Very empty flight -- I had two J seat to myself.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:18 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Not a plane but we spent Christmas Eve on a container ship docked at an extremely deserted San Francisco freighter terminal, where we had arrived at around 10 pm that night. The customs officers were decidedly not pleased at having to clear a 1100 TEU boat and its crew while Santa was flying around.

The Kiribati galley staff whipped up your basic Christmas dinner for the German officers (and us 2 pax) while they ran around with clipboards and handfuls of passports and cargo manifests - Venison, red cabbage, roast potatoes, sweet stuff.

The next morning we walked a mile or so across the staging yard and scared the poor guard shack lady half out of her wits - she didn't expect people to be coming from behind her and asking to use her phone to call a cab to go to SFO.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:33 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Yup...Christmas...TPE-YVR-YYZ...

...was the only flight I could guarentee un upgrade to J so I arrived home around 3:00 pm Xmas day...still in time for Xmas dinner The TPE-YVR leg was mostly asian FA's so they didnt seem to put out...but oooo not a happy bunch on the YVR-YYZ leg...as I remember not much special just an Xmas greeting from the captain..I thin I just drank alot and took a sleeping pill.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:49 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
>Have you ever been in the airplane at midnight on the 24th or 31st?

Again, not a flight, but a number of years ago I was on the last New Year's Eve ferry from Victoria, BC to Vancouver. The ferry literally had about five cars on board (including mine), on the lower car deck at the bow. There couldn't have been more than twenty passengers on the whole vessel.

This might not seem that big of a deal until you realize the ferry in question is about 550 feet long, holds just under 500 cars and can easily transport over 2000 people. If memory serves the ferry made the typically 90+ minutes crossing in just over an hour

Most of the crew were just hanging out in the cafeteria, drinking sparkling apple juice and chatting with the smattering of passengers.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Last edited by gglave; Dec 15, 2005 at 5:38 pm
Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:58 pm

Programs: US lowlife
NYE 12/31/2004 ROC-PHL on US. Plane was decked out and everyone was in a good mood.

Riding up in FC got the pre-game started...6 drinks on such a short fligh (those FA's were on top of things ). Got picked up at the airport and transported to the NYE party at PNE and partied the night away.

The ride back on 1/1 was a loooooong flight back and unsurprisingly quiet. No first class seat could make it a comfortable ride back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.