FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   ever spend New Years or Christmas in the airplane? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/503877-ever-spend-new-years-christmas-airplane.html)

AAaLot Dec 14, 2005 4:31 pm

ever spend New Years or Christmas in the airplane?

Have you ever been in the airplane at midnight on the 24th or 31st?

I have once [31st] on a trip DFW-DCA.

7 of us on the 737. Very low key. No champagne.

Any better stories?

obscure2k Dec 14, 2005 4:58 pm

On New Years Eve, many years ago, as we boarded our flt in HNL (to Lax), the aircraft was decorated with lots and lots of balloons. As soon as the flt took-off, all of the balloons popped :eek: Sounded like an explosion. Everyone calmed down and laughed as soon as we realized what had happened.

cornellalum Dec 14, 2005 5:01 pm

Not yet; but this xmas I will be on a plane to SYD.

SDF_Traveler Dec 14, 2005 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by AAaLot
Have you ever been in the airplane at midnight on the 24th or 31st?

I have once [31st] on a trip DFW-DCA.

7 of us on the 737. Very low key. No champagne.

Any better stories?

I spent New Years Eve 2000 on an A320 (fly by wire) when it reached new years GMT. As I was flying MSP-DEN, New Year's Eve had not hit, but I believe the Airbus Computers run on GMT.

This year I spent Thanksgiving Day flying SDF-ATL-LAX-MEL.

This year also spent Superbowl day on SDF-MEM-LAX(-ICN-KUL-MEL). We got regular Superbowl announcements in-flight.

With respect to DEN, they were handing out DIA Y2K Flashlights to all incoming passengers in case of a power failure.

SDF_Traveler

Eastbay1K Dec 14, 2005 5:14 pm

Twice

NYE 2002 and NYE 2003 I spent on Lan in F from SCL/LAX. Fantastic flights. On one of the trips, the captain invited me into the cockpit for takeoff in the A340 from LIM. Kisses from all the FAs. But this will now be my 3d year actually on the ground in Chile for NYE. I'll be on the plane on Xmas day from EZE to SCL. I've also flown w/in Chile on Xmas day a few times.

pinniped Dec 14, 2005 5:48 pm

I was on an MD-80 at the Y2K rollover on 12/31/99. We touched down in Kansas City at about 0020 GMT. The pilot did not mention it and I doubt many people on the plane even gave it any thought.

I flew overnight on Christmas Night one time - Chicago to London. That a fun year: got to enjoy my family's entire Christmas festivities, hop a plane in the evening, and then enjoy my girlfriend's family festivities which all took place on Boxing Day. It was an AA 767 with maybe 75 pax onboard.

okko Dec 14, 2005 6:33 pm

...AY leisure flights w/ mates back in the 90s; 24/12 HEL-STN, 24/12 TFS-HEL - absolutely nothing special either time.

PHX-WAS Girl Dec 14, 2005 6:59 pm

I've flown on Christmas Day all the time. Since I do not celebrate the holiday, I find it a wonderful day to fly because usually the flights are a bit cheaper than the day after or the day before.

ironmanjt Dec 14, 2005 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by cornellalum
Not yet; but this xmas I will be on a plane to SYD.

Dec 25: LAX-TPE-KUL
Dec 31: HBA-SYD

:)

rkkwan Dec 14, 2005 7:18 pm

Was on CO EWR-HKG last Christmas Eve. Nothing different at all. Yes, it's a bit cheaper than 12/23, but it's still 100% full, with a couple dozen of people standing by at EWR.

broccoli Dec 14, 2005 9:16 pm

New Year's Eve on Delta about 5 years ago, the FA's handed out champagne to all.
I have flown on numerous Christmas day, Christmas Eve, and New Years Eve flights. They are cheaper, and since they are relatively uncrowded, easier to handle with kids in tow. Christmas flights seem to put most people in a good mood. They seem much more able to tolerate the boisterousness of children. We were lucky to miss the choas of last Christmas Eve by traveling on Christmas afternoon.

Rejuvenated Dec 14, 2005 10:01 pm

Flew HKG-YVR New Years Day 5 years ago on CX. Nothing special onboard, business as usual.

jimquan Dec 14, 2005 10:57 pm

One of my most memorable flights was on New Years Eve in the mid 90's. It was on a USair flight from Charlotte to BOS. The sky was crystal clear the entire way and we could see New Years fireworks. Filet Mignon was served in First Class and the Champagne flowed. That was the day.

Jim

PTravel Dec 14, 2005 11:23 pm

Okay, I've got to tell this story.

I once flew on America West, PHX to SNA on Christmas Eve. It was a late flight -- it might have been 11 pm. The plane was empty -- I think there was a total of perhaps 15 people. I was one of two F pax. There were two FAs assigned to F. After we were seated, one of them came up to me and said, "Hi, I'm Sandy. I'm you're flight attendant for the evening. What will you be drinking?"

I told her, "White wine." She got a bottle of white wine, opened it, poured me a drink and then sat down in the seat next to me. Every time I took a sip of wine, she re-filled my glass. Needless to say, by the time we got to SNA I was pretty well snockered. Fortunately, my wife picked me up at the airport, so I didn't have to drive.

Now that was a flight to remember! I often think fondly of Sandy.

Teacher49 Dec 14, 2005 11:25 pm

I lost New Years Eve one time on a flight from LAX to SYD. It was nearly 20 years ago, and the dateline confuses me, but I New Years was completely lost to the change.

I awoke in as we approached SYD to an offer of champagne from a steward. "A little early in the year for me," was my sleepy reply.

Did LAX - MEL - PERTH one Christmas, too.