Next, it just has to be-First thing you do when you get on the plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next, it just has to be-First thing you do when you get on the plane

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
1. Greet FAs
2. Get my wallet out of carry on and put my BP in it
3a. If longhaul - get out mp3 player and headphones and jam. while jamming put carry on in side bin
3b. If shorthaul - look like a buerk and peoplewatch or look out the window. Then stow wallet and put carry on in overhead locker.

Who is going to find the post where someone said upon boarding in First they lick the back of their UA 1K card and stick on their forehead then thumb the boarding coach passengers down to the back of their aircraft? One of my favourite FT posts ever ^^
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:31 am

fbgdavidson, you made me giggle at work and my co-worker looked at me funny!

First, find my seat, and stow the stuff in the overhead (I already took out everything I want to have during the flight, and stowed in my overstuffed purse). Then, get my DH settled first (he's 6'4", and needs help folding into that seat!) Get my water and book out, fasten my seatbelt, make sure my inflatable pillow is accessible, and start reading -- boarding usually takes so long!

At this point, if we have an empty seat between us, I pray long and hard that it is an empty seat and we have more room in cattle car.

As soon as we start up, I'm always looking out the window (hubby has aisle so he can stretch out legs). For some reason, no matter how many times I've flown, I always love to watch as we take off! The magic never dies.

Once we're up above, past the point I can recognize landmarks, then I go back to reading my book.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:00 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Just pretty standard stuff:
1) Greet FAs
2) Slip boarding pass into shirt pocket
3) Remove reading material, etc. from bag and put in seat pocket
4) Put bag in overhead bin
5) Greet person in next seat if appears affable
6) Sit and place pillow behind back
7) Count number of seats to nearest emergency exit
8) Buckle up and wait/browse mags/read book/make polite conversation until takeoff
Old Feb 25, 2005, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Am I the only one who scopes out the FAM?
Old Feb 25, 2005, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
What are these "middle" seats you speak of?
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:24 pm

Greet FAs.

Look for celebrities.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Plat/LT Gold, MR Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ghostboy
9. Adjust "boys" without drawing attention
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:59 pm

duck. i'm 6'4"
Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
What are these "middle" seats you speak of?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I pray to god that the person next to me can actually fit in their seat.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's see.

First, I check every row, starting with number 1, to see if it's row 53Z.

Then, as I'm going through checking each row, I act aloof and smash my carry-on into the faces of as many pax sitting in aisle seats as possible.

Now, when I actually get to my row, rather than sliding over and unblocking the aisle, I engage in an unnecessarily long and slow process of getting situated.

Finally, I'll put my carry on in the overhead the wrong way so the door won't close, then plop down in my seat on the wrong side of the aisle.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:47 am

- Find my way to the seat
- Place the bigger luggage in the overhead compartment and keep the smaller luggage with the belongings I'll use in an easy-to-access spot near my feet
- Make sure I'm all ready to buckle up for when necessary
- Read the safety instruction pamphlets that are in the pocket on the back of the seat in front of me. It's usually not very comforting to look at little pictures of planes crashing, on fire, careening towards water, or pictures of people passing out or floating around the ocean on the bottoms of seats, but it gives me something to do.

Last edited by Wiest; Mar 1, 2005 at 10:54 am
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:05 pm

Programs: NW Gold, HHonors Gold
While at the gate, I usually pull out all the items I intend to use during my flight, so I can quickly pop my bag in the overhead bin and take my seat, with my book next to me on my seat and anything else in the seat pocket. I used to count the rows to the exit and glance at the safety card, but then I started watching some shows on the History Channel. Now I've pretty much determined that if something were to happen anytime except during the taxi, I'm toast, so I might as well sit back and be comfortable.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Try and look out towards the wing as I enter the plane through the small hole separating the jetway and aircraft. It's really a neat sight if there's anything to see.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I greet the FA (and flight crew, if possible), send my luggage up top, then plug into the audio system and dial up Channel 9.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.