Search

What is happening in Tucson Feb 5-7

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
What is happening in Tucson Feb 5-7

I am trying like heck to get a rental car and either find no availability or higher than normal prices? Is there an event that is bringing lots of people to Tuscon this particular weekend?

thanks
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure what's going on that weekend - but if you try going with an extended rental time frame (i.e. test sell for 4 days or 5 days as opposed to two days), you may be able to get normal pricing. You should be able to return early & not have to pay for the days you didn't use (at least with Hertz).

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:41 am

February is the month when Tucson hosts a huge trade show, the Gem Show, that brings in people from all over the world. It is a very interesting event....people rent out hotel rooms, suites and ballrooms to display gems and related items. Many of the booths etc are open to the public, but not all. It is very hard to find a hotel room or a rental car or restaurant reservation in Tucson during the Gem Show, and I believe the early weekends in Feb. are traditionally the busiest.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
Yep thats it, the Tucson Gem Show. My boss and his wife will be there as they are every year. They usually reserve months in advance. According to the calendar in our office it runs 2/2-2/7.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
thanks guys

not that it helps me get a car.. although I may try the longer reservation and return it sooner than reserved for.. but at least I know now why the rentals are so expensive.. sheesh.. as my wallet thins out
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:11 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
It's the one time of year that Motel 6 can triple their prices and hotel clerks are telling people to try Nogales if they want to find a room.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
It might be cheaper to fly into PHX, rent a car there (even though the taxes are outrageous) and drive down to Tucson...it's only 112 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.