Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I'm going to feel your breasts now"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jenniferpa
Which just goes to show how careful one needs to be about stereotypes: no one who knows me would describe me as helpless I have to say, though, I do not think I would admit to this reaction in the press!
Amen to that! But I envy Analise that she can keep her cool under any condition every single day. I have to admit that my hormones sometimes get the better of me. In those circumstances it's just not worth getting angry - if I'm a little unbalanced the anger can become a hysterical outburst of rage. Why be angry at the person doing the search, they're under orders after all, and most things in life are like that. I sometimes feel it's others I'm protecting by shedding a tear or too. I might seem helpless, but boy, the waterworks are masking one nasty flipside (you do know that tears contain excess hormones as well as salts and water, don't you?).
As I said, not something I do often, but something I feel I have every right to do now and again. Most men (and some women) don't have to deal with these emotional fluctuations, but I don't see why I should have to play in the same ball park. If more men cried occasionally, perhaps some of them wouldn't feel driven to the despicable acts of violence we've all read about.
Just a thought.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LapLap
Amen to that! But I envy Analise that she can keep her cool under any condition every single day.
Now when did I say that? I can get angry just like anybody else. I don't resort to crying though. Travelling is already a hassle and frankly has been a hassle prior to the terrorists attacking innocent lives in September 11, 2001 on US soil. So I don't go to the airport expecting anything other than annoyances.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:23 am

Programs: US Silver
Originally Posted by Analise
So I don't go to the airport expecting anything other than annoyances.
How very, very true. Forewarned is forearmed, which is probably where this woman (travelling with a baby) fell down. Infrequent flyers are probably less prepared for this whole thing than those of us who fly on a regular basis. Mind you, I'd like to think that I would have the presence of mind to object but I suspect that I would simply accept it as yet another annoyance. Baaa Baaa
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can request a private screening, and I recommend that people do it whenever they are being unduly hassled by the TSA:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3291865
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:34 pm

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
Originally Posted by Doppy
You can request a private screening, and I recommend that people do it whenever they are being unduly hassled by the TSA:

Thanks for posting this, Doppy. I've been getting to the airports very early, so the extra time for a private screening -- if needed -- would be OK with me. I really don't want some TSA touching me, especially in front of other pax, including children.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by detouring
Thanks for posting this, Doppy. I've been getting to the airports very early, so the extra time for a private screening -- if needed -- would be OK with me. I really don't want some TSA touching me, especially in front of other pax, including children.
And you shouldn't have to have this ever. If for whatever reason you feel like the check they are doing would be better suited to private screening, it is there for you.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy

If they can see your naked breasts, will they still insist on touching them? I think I would rather be seen (just think of the viewer as a health worker) than be touched.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:32 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
If they can see your naked breasts, will they still insist on touching them? I think I would rather be seen (just think of the viewer as a health worker) than be touched.
I agree!
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
That's a good point. I never thought about it but I'd rather be seen (by women only) than be touched.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Crying? Like a baby?? It's one thing to be angry and that I can understand and even respect. But to cry....give me a break. What is she.... a helpless 7 year old little girl?
Though I would like to think that this woman refused the search because of her strong beliefs that we have a 4th amendment. I think it is more likely due to other circumstances.

I think the fact that she had a three month old baby with her is the key to her tears and refusal. She may have been breast feeding and quite sensitive about someone touching her breasts. Not to mention in front of everyone. And, I wonder where her baby was while all of this was going on? I don't believe they let you hold an infant during the search. All of her other belongings were probably being rifled through at the same time too. Quite unerving I'm sure.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
In both cases, IAD and LGA, they did a full pat down after the wanding showed nothing. The previous approach, I hated but could deal with, this one gets intrusive. If I was visiting a prison, if they were supposed to find anyone smuggling something? That I might be able to understand the need, but to get on a plane? Please.
there's internet speculation (can't vouch for its veracity, natch - ) that these procedures were adopted in light of real information procured about recent plane incidents.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 6:21 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
She was just interviewed on KFI radio here in L.A.

Sounds like the DEN TSA was up to their usual bufoonery; Male and female agents cracking jokes about her in her presence, yelling at her loudly that she "would not fly today" and that "they are the federal government so you cant do anything about it", etc.

Even after this show of professionalism, she did consent to the private screening and during which she pulled her camisole down to reveal her cleavage so as to be helpful; this action apparently prompted the TSA agents doing the inspection to conclude that indeed she would not fly that day.

Oh and the kicker: She got pulled aside because her driver's license expired in August, about the time she was having the baby, and was, in her own words, "overwhelmed"

Interestingly, and I may have heard it wrong, but it seems that UA did NOT pull her bags from the flight after she was deemed unfit to travel. So much for hold security!

She's 5 ft. 5 inches and 115 lbs., blonde and blue-eyed, so at least we can be thankful that the TSA is not racially profiling as they look for crazed Chechen muslim women!
Old Oct 11, 2004, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS, IHG
I thrilled them a couple weeks back. I got pulled for secondary screening and I would not allow a pat down of my upper abdomen... that would be the "under the breasts" as they feel they now need to touch. They've never attempted to feel between, good luck on that one!

I have a medical condition that causes excrutiating pain with even the lightest touch, even heavy shirts are painful if they are snug. I am selected for special screening pretty regularly since 9/11 (I seem to be lucky like that). The pat downs HAVE changed this summer.

Anyway, my contribution for excitement in the screening area was when the screener started looking confused when I refused to allow her to touch my upper abdomen; I just pulled up my blouse and flashed not only her but the other TSA screeners and the police officer standing there.

Not sure if it was all of the scar tissue or the lace bra but she felt satisfied I didn't have any contraband stashed on my person and quickly sent me on my way. The other screeners sure gave me a smile as I walked out.

Last edited by AinA; Jul 6, 2006 at 8:30 pm
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by AlisoninAlaska
I am going to have to figure out a better way to handle this now that things have changed, ugh. I really like the comparison to men's genitalia though, what would happen if a guy was told in order to fly he would have to allow a pat down above, beside and underneath his penis? TSA would never dare suggest that for men, why for women?
Probably because you can hide more stuff in a bra but I'd whip it out.

On another note, why am I not surprised this thread got 791 views? heh.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles
Question

Originally Posted by Athena53
I've been groped, too- it was at EWR on a flight to CDG and I wore a bra with underwires, so it set off the alarm. (Why they put underwires in a 34-B cup I don't know.)
That's what my girlfriend keeps wondering. Glad she stays away from underwire though... Last thing I need is for some God forsaken TSA agent telling my girlfriend, "OK, I am now going to feel your breasts."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.