Search

Changing attitudes of INS staff?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2004, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Changing attitudes of INS staff?

I'm a UK citizen who travels to the US 2-4 times a year under the visa waiver scheme. I've been getting increasingly annoyed with the uncivilized attitude displayed by INS inspectors over the past few years, to the extent that I used to detest that bit of the journey...

But last Tuesday I flew into ORD. The agent couldn't have been more civil and even said 'Welcome' once the passports were stamped. I overheard other people getting a grilling at the desks, but has anyone else noticed a change in attitude by the INS, possibly just towards Brits?
Old Mar 22, 2004, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ORD has always been a very friendly port IMHO. I've always felt very welcome entering there and with the exception of one slight grilling by US Customs I've not had any incidents there.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:28 am

Sorry to be a pessimist, but I don't think one encounter with one agent warrants a conclusion about changing attitudes.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:34 am
Suspended

As one who has to interact with INS and Customs personnel sometimes up to 6 or more times a day. I will find that there are some very polite, considerate personnel who its a pleasure to work with. Unfortunately there are some real A-holes who are on a power trip just because they have some special authority and carry a gun. Without attempting to cast any aspersions most of the ones who I encounter with bad attitudes all seem to ex-military.

Most of my contact is a seaports and much too often I have seem INS delay the loading or all vessel operations for sometime hours just because the crew-list presented to them was not in alphabetical order - thus costing somebody ( the charterers, the terminal or others parties involved) thousands of dollars.
Most of the agents are to scared to complain feraing that they might be singled out for retribution.
mike
Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:39 am

"most of the ones who I encounter with bad attitudes all seem to ex-military".

I agree
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
most of the ones who I encounter with bad attitudes all seem to ex-military.
</font>
How do you determine they are ex-military? The haircut?
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
ORD has always been a very friendly port IMHO. </font>
ORD is up there with TOR PFI and LAX TBIT as the highest generator of complaints, so I don't think thats quite right.

I've personally found ORD to be very easy, but I have also heard multiple firsthand accounts of horror stories from there, so I don't doubt that there is a problem.

Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:27 am

Programs: BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
who are on a power trip just because they have some special authority and carry a gun.</font>
I never realised this. Why on earth do they carry a gun ? If there's one place in the USA that the public you are dealing with are not going to be able to threaten you with weapons it's the arriving passengers from a plane flight !

I too find the attitude problem has skyrocketed in recent years. The immigration staff used to be welcoming and wish us a good holiday in the US or whatever, but all those staff seem to have been dispensed with in favour of xenophobes (sorry, US people, it's true). Almost the worst are those marshalling the long queues who bawl and shout, and really give the impression that they wish they were issued with a cattle prod to do their job.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 1:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WHBM:
Almost the worst are those marshalling the long queues who bawl and shout, and really give the impression that they wish they were issued with a cattle prod to do their job.</font>
In general, I agree. But there is one INS "yeller" guy at SFO arrivals who is friendly and kind and funny -- shaved head, caucasian, youngish, do you know who I'm talking about?
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:02 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
How do you determine they are ex-military? The haircut?</font>
Ah yes the difference between ships and planes.
As some might realize ships travel at very slow speeds,( most commericial vessels travel between 0 and 8 mph) and INS/Customs/Dept AG personnel require some 3 hour notice before docking its often impossible for the agents to fix a exact time for the "boarding parties" .
So very often there a bunch of people sitting on the dock waiting to go board.
I short we get to and do converse, sometimes at length with the officers. Over period you will get to know a lot about many of them.
mike
Old Mar 23, 2004, 1:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Has anyone successfully complained about an INS/US Customs agent?

When I mean successful, I mean was any action taken or a response received? I'm just curious because I've had similar encounters with rude agents and it disheartens me that they are the first people visitors see.

Matt
Old Mar 23, 2004, 2:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WHBM:
I never realised this. Why on earth do they carry a gun ? If there's one place in the USA that the public you are dealing with are not going to be able to threaten you with weapons it's the arriving passengers from a plane flight !
</font>
One obvious danger is at the Customs checkpoint. At this point, you've retrieved your checked bags, and these can have all sorts of weapons in them legally, including guns.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MattFS218:
Has anyone successfully complained about an INS/US Customs agent?
</font>
I'd love to. Having seen how badly US citiznes can be treated, I suspect that as an alien no-one would give a ****. Why waste my time and energy on something that would be meaningless?

It is a real shame as it gives tourists a really

Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pynchonesque:
Sorry to be a pessimist, but I don't think one encounter with one agent warrants a conclusion about changing attitudes.</font>
Hence the reason I asked the question

Also, this attitude problem is being flagged in some of the serious UK newspapers now (Telegraph, 13th March for one). Tourists will simply start voting with their feet...
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:05 am

9 times out of 10 I arrive into SFO and the INS staff there are very nice and welcoming.

I've noticed a huge difference in the telephone service they offer. In the past you had to call a premium rate number then stay on hold for ever then talk with an agent that couldn't help. Now you get an 800 number that is answered fast and you are helped by very knowledgeable and helpful agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.