Reload this Page >

Changing attitudes of INS staff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing attitudes of INS staff?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2004, 4:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MattFS218:
Has anyone successfully complained about an INS/US Customs agent?</font>
Depends on your definition of "successful". I was able to get the State Department to admit that an INS agent made an "incorrect interpretation and application of the law" for which they offered a "verbal unofficial apology", but beyond that it got lost in the maze of bureaucracy (INS was part of DOJ till it became BCIS which is now part of DHS).
Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:55 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MattFS218:
Has anyone successfully complained about an INS/US Customs agent?</font>
I suspect that while a few US citizens may have had success, a non-US citizen (or, one without a diplomatic passport) will probably never see such a thing.

------------------
Don't feed the trolls.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Has anyone successfully complained about an INS/US Customs agent?

When I mean successful, I mean was any action taken or a response received? I'm just curious because I've had similar encounters with rude agents and it disheartens me that they are the first people visitors see.

Matt
</font>
Again it all depends what you term successful.

Basically I have had two run-ins with actually US Customs in the 28 years I have been a full-time marine surveyor.

First one: about 12 years ago authority was granted by the Customs Dept Supervisor on duty for myself and a ships agent to board a vessel (permission has to be granted by Customs/INS/Dept of Agriculture) since the field inpector was late. He arrived told we had no reason to have boarded called us liars, searched our person and bags and generally behaved in an pretty obnoxious manner ( he was accompanied by a new female trainee who he was obviously trying to impress )
An official complaint was filed, a number of witnesses including myself were interviewed by the Customs Dept equivalent of "Internal Affairs" ( hey were based ouside of the jurisdication the Tampa port and oustide of the state I believe) we got a verbal apology and it was " suggested" that a comment/statement would be placed on the officers personal file.
It appeared that they had had previous complaints about this individual.

The other occurred about a year and was a much more "serious incident" by many factors.
I was so pissed about it I was able to secure an appointment and actually have a conversation with my congressman.
Although he was very sympathetic (he apparently consulted with somebody at the Customs Dept) I was advised not to pursue that matter since in his opinion was a no win situation.

Under the present security enviornment I am fairly sure the earlier incident would not have been afforded any sort response from the current authorities.
mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Mar 24, 2004, 11:26 am

I arrived at JFK on AA168 NRT-JFK by way of PVG. The flight arrived at 17:30, but the USCIS officer wished me a good morning and welcome home obviously knowing that I was on Shanghai time.

It was perhaps the most pleasant interaction ever at a US Immigration Checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.