Helsinki Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Helsinki Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2004, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Location: New York, NY AA EXP 1MM, Go Arsenal! Yanks in 2006!
Helsinki Airport

Is anyone familiar with the airport in Helsinki? I have a short connection and I need to pick up some Euros from an ATM before I get on my second flight.

Is there an ATM somewhere within the transit area?

------------------
Keep it simple, stupid!
Old Mar 17, 2004, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
http://www.ilmailulaitos.com/lentoasemat/

[This message has been edited by jerry a. laska (edited Mar 17, 2004).]
Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:51 pm

Programs: EXP
if you don't get a definitive answer, and you can't find one air side. I know for sure there's an ATM as you come out of customs to your left.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 9:15 pm

There are seveal ATMS in the gate area near the shops. Look for yellow signs marked "Otto".
Old Mar 18, 2004, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Аэрофлот UA LH AF AS SPG HH PC
I have been thru Helsinki-Vantaa many times and I know for sure there is an ATM kiosk as you come out of customs on your right. These are the ones I always use to get Euros. I dont think you will find them in the Arrival Hall.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:16 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
As free_miles pointed out, there are several ATMs (labeled as OTTO) airside at the Schengen area. However, if you are only confined to the non-Schengen area, things might be different, I don't recall seeing an ATM around there. At least there's an exchange counter that is sure to accept credit cards, so you should be covered in any case.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 5:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
OTTO is good for VISA cards but forget AMEX. Don't know how acceptable OTTO is to Mastercard or Diners.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 5:10 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Did I miss something folks? This is the American Airlines forum....

Moved to TravelBuzz!, as there's no sub-section for Helsinki Vantaa in FT Airports.

------------------
777Brit
AA Forum Moderator

[This message has been edited by 777Brit (edited Mar 18, 2004).]
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
The ATM situation aside I found Helsinki Airport to be a very pleasant airport. Clean and bright.

I also found the Finns to be very pleasant.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:56 am

Programs: BA
As you come out of the baggage claim the first Otto machine is on your left hand side, just beyond the "Airport Services" desk. Well, it was last month.

If you are arriving from a non-Schengen country and connecting to a domestic flight, Helsinki Airport can take a long time. The passport check is up close to the arrival gates and can get bogged down if you are at the back of the queue. Then downstairs for baggage, and then it is a huge walk down to the other end of the terminal where the domestic flight entrance is. Honestly, it must be nearly half a mile, the walk goes on for ever. Even more aggravating is once you go up again and through domestic security you can then be walking back the way you have come !

Last quick connection at Helsinki, I made it - just. Baggage didn't though, but they were quite nonchalant about it in the usual Finnish way, and delivered it to my hotel a couple of hours later as it came on the next connection.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Location: New York, NY AA EXP 1MM, Go Arsenal! Yanks in 2006!
Thanks for your replies.

I am on one of those micro transfers of 35 minutes on Finnair from JFK connecting into RIX. I need to pay a bill in Euro upon my arrival in Riga and I'd like to take out the funds from an ATM in HEL as I would have access to an ATM that dispenses Euros in Latvia.

I realize that I won't have chance to clear immigrations & customs and that I have to stay in the gate areas. That's more the area I was inquiring about.

[This message has been edited by Ksimp (edited Mar 18, 2004).]
Old Mar 18, 2004, 12:11 pm

Ksimp:

Sorry, many of us assumed you were connecting to a domestic flight.

The international area gates, numbered 30 upwards, are inside the customs area. You will arrive here from the US and leave from here for Riga (I see tomorrow's flight is from gate 31). Others will need to advise if there is an Otto machine inside this area. At least you won't have to go through any passport checks, the JFK flight normally docks around gate 33 so you can just walk alongside.

There are HEL terminal plans here:

HEL terminal info

Edited to say:

e-mail them here and ask

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by WHBM (edited Mar 18, 2004).]
Old Mar 18, 2004, 12:16 pm

error

[This message has been edited by WHBM (edited Mar 18, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.