Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best time to buy airfare from LAX to CDG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2004, 12:24 pm
JVT
Original Poster

Hello all...we are planning to fly roundtrip for Los Angeles to Paris. We will be leaving on June 15, and returning July 5.

I'm finding airfares to be well over $1000.00 per person.

Is there a best time of the year to buy???, or should I book these?

Any help is appreciated.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 2:38 pm

If you do a search for two tickets on Hotwire for your dates, a fare of $638 each total comes up. I think this would be a worthwhile savings if you want to book now and get your vacation finalized. Possibly Priceline would be cheaper.

Other than that, you can wait and hope for a seat sale.

My sympathies - it is sort of nerve-wracking.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:06 am
JVT
Original Poster

Thanks for the Hotwire tip. I'm debating whether or not to book with them. I'm not concerned with the choice of airlines, or if it makes a stop...but I'd really like to know the time of departure from both LAX & CDG...it may change my hotel plans.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might try one of the airline affiliated package/bulk outfits. I think most of them have them. They often have much lower priced seats (though often they are not upgradeable, but do earn miles), especially in the Summer. And you can often purchase "air only" in addition to "air and land" or "land only."

For example, the United Airlines affiliated package supplier is United Vacations:

www.unitedvacations.com

Like I said, other airlines have similar. On these you can at least pick your flight times and at least you'll know which airline you are flying.

Sometimes with these you can net airfare and hotel for less than your airfare alone would have cost you!

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited Feb 04, 2004).]
Old Feb 5, 2004, 6:11 pm
JVT
Original Poster

Thanks, PremX...I'll check that out.

I'm hoping the high Euro/Dollar exchange rate will induce the airlines to lower prices to encourage travel to western Europe...we'll see.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any time the exchange rate is low and fares are lowest would be my best bet.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:22 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
I would wait another 30 to 60 days, my experience in buying plane tickets to France for the summer is talking !!
Old Feb 6, 2004, 1:52 am

couscous, what do you reasonably think tickets might drop to in 30-60 days? (I'm personally interested in SEA-CDG, but would be glad to hear about any gateway you are experienced with.)

I have experimented with different Hotwire dates, and at least for the ex-SEA departures, the prices rise dramatically on July 1 (as opposed to June 30).

[This message has been edited by WillTravel (edited Feb 06, 2004).]
Old Feb 6, 2004, 5:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Crown Room Club Member, United Mileage Plus, HiltonHonors
I'd buy the tickets now on hotwire or another consolidator type website (check out www.onetravel.com ... they usually have decent rates from my experience). I too have been looking at summer airfares, and I've been told that summer capacity won't be increased much by the airlines and the prices are actually expected to go up.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 3:11 pm

Programs: CO/UA Gold
Can you alter your travel dates at all? For instance,

5/15-6/5 = $808.35 USD
4/15-5/5 = $748.35 USD
March is in the $540 USD range

Just a thought, I'm sure you have reasons for which you need to be there on your original dates.

Otherwise, just keep up w/major US and European carriers and their weekly e-mail newsletters. If BA and AF have to keep cancelling flights, they'll probably drop their prices to the bottom of a barrel just to get people to fly them.

[This message has been edited by neondiva (edited Feb 07, 2004).]
Old Feb 7, 2004, 3:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by neondiva:
Air France
Total w/taxes: 535.35 USD

I plucked a date range out of thin air: 3/10-3/14
Old Feb 7, 2004, 3:38 pm

Programs: CO/UA Gold
Sorry about that, WillTravel... accidentally hit the post button before finishing (darned pop-ups). (See amended note... lol.)
Old Feb 7, 2004, 4:10 pm

No problem, neondiva. In my case, my son's school doesn't get out until June 29. So we can't leave any earlier.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 6:50 pm
JVT
Original Poster

That's the same case with me, Will Travel...we're waiting for kids to get out of school.

Someone above mentioned an $800.00 fare...that's not bad for that time of year. What airlines was that.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 7:42 pm

I know the question was about CDG, but pretty good deals to Rome seemed to have just opened up for the summer months.

I just found SEA-ROM on Orbitz for $613 total per ticket for the dates of July 1 to July 18. This is on Delta/Alitalia via JFK on the outbound and Alitalia/Alaska via EWR on the inbound. (If you do this search, click through all the way - the price *decreases* when you do this, much to my surprise.)

On Fodors' people were finding excellent fares for various gateways.

I haven't booked yet anyway - I have to settle on the vacation time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.