Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2003, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Berlin

I would like to visit a friend in Berlin during the coming year. I have noticed there never seems to be any airline specials to Berlin. Is there a reason for this? What time of the year would be best? I prefer cooler times of the year and hopefully not the most crowded time. I really would appreciate the advice of those on this forum.
My first choice would be flying NWA as I live in the midwest are we are pretty much at their mercy.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 7:27 pm

Most airlines will offer Germany-wide sales, i.e., they offer similar fares to anyplace in Germany, or have only slight variations. Lufthansa, Air France and Alitalia often have the best fares. Spring or autumn are usually wonderful in Berlin, and the place is so far north that in June the days are very long (earlier this month I was in Berlin, when dawn was at 9 am and dusk at 4 pm!). The best fares are usually in February or March, though, when I've also experienced wonderful weather.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
My parents went to Berlin in September, and the weather was perfect. And what they found is that Berlin doesn't have any many tourists compared to other European cities. Almost no line to any where, and the Postdam palace grounds are basically deserted. [Only place with a line is the Parliament, but they had reservations to the restaurtant which bypassed the line.] So, don't worry about crowds.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 6:29 am

Believe it or not but there are NO nonstop flights to Berlin from the USA. We flew from EWR to ZHR and jumped on a RJ to TXL for $400 or so. Berlin was AMAZING!!! Get a 5 star hotel off of Priceline for about $100 per night. Bring your walking shoes and learn the subway system too, it's a GREAT way to get around the city. East Berlin is WAY COOL and is a must see on any adventurers itinerary. Also stop by the food floor at www.kadewe.de/ and bring a fat wallet and an empty stomach. If you need someone to go with you, drop me a line. I will fly to Berlin in a heartbeat!
Old Dec 24, 2003, 9:18 am
DKM

I'm going to Berlin for the first time in a week. I leave 12/31, flying PHL-ORD-LHR-TXL. I'll spend the afternoon of the 1st, the 2nd and the 3rd there, and then return on the 4th. Too short, I know, but better than nothing. The trip to LHR was $380 (have upgraded to Business) and used miles from LHR to TXL. Can't turn that down!
Old Dec 25, 2003, 12:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DKM:
I'm going to Berlin for the first time in a week. I leave 12/31, flying PHL-ORD-LHR-TXL. I'll spend the afternoon of the 1st, the 2nd and the 3rd there, and then return on the 4th. Too short, I know, but better than nothing. The trip to LHR was $380 (have upgraded to Business) and used miles from LHR to TXL. Can't turn that down!</font>
$380 in BIZ??? That's amazing! what airline ?
Old Dec 25, 2003, 12:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Audie:
I would like to visit a friend in Berlin during the coming year. I have noticed there never seems to be any airline specials to Berlin. Is there a reason for this? What time of the year would be best? I prefer cooler times of the year and hopefully not the most crowded time. I really would appreciate the advice of those on this forum.
My first choice would be flying NWA as I live in the midwest are we are pretty much at their mercy.
</font>
The reasons for the lack of cheap fares is that Berlin became a few years ago the new capital of Germany, it was Bonn before, thus generating a lot of trafic by all who have to commute from the different parts of the country on gov. business plus the fact that Frankfurt remains the main international hub as well as financial center in Germany. On certain days the demand for seats by full fare passengers is so high, that airlines do not seem to bother reducing prices.
Old Dec 25, 2003, 12:46 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus

it probably was paid eco, upgraded (with miles or vouchers) to business.l
Old Dec 25, 2003, 11:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by magexpect:
The reasons for the lack of cheap fares is that Berlin became a few years ago the new capital of Germany, it was Bonn before, thus generating a lot of trafic by all who have to commute from the different parts of the country on gov. business plus the fact that Frankfurt remains the main international hub as well as financial center in Germany. On certain days the demand for seats by full fare passengers is so high, that airlines do not seem to bother reducing prices. </font>
A quick check on Travelocity shows that Lufthansa, Air France and Austrian Airlines have the same fares to Berlin, Frankfurt or Munich ($324-325). Other airlines charge $340-350 for the same options, but British has a very low fare to Frankfurt alone. I didn't check all the restrictions.
Old Dec 25, 2003, 4:52 pm
DKM

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:

it probably was paid eco, upgraded (with miles or vouchers) to business.l
</font>
Absolutely right, Rudi. I used a VIP cert to upgrade. The last of my AA EXP benefits. Only PLT next year, I'm afraid.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Thanks for all of the good responses! What is a good fare for MPS-TXL? I have been flying to Asia quite a bit lately and not to Europe so I have no idea what price to be looking for in a fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.