Old Dec 24, 2003, 12:49 pm

More now:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3775771/
Old Dec 24, 2003, 12:54 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This should make the people that live there real happy:

The officials said al-Qaida seems particularly interested in Tappahannock, Va., a town of 2,016 people with no military base or major infrastructure. Such an attack would be intended to generate widespread fear that no one was safe, even in small rural towns, they said.

[This message has been edited by cordelli (edited Dec 24, 2003).]
Old Dec 24, 2003, 1:00 pm

Now that the town's been mentioned, Al Qaeda will have to pick a different one, so the residents should be happy.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This stuff really belongs In The News. There is a thread about this already going on. Please follow it here.

Old Dec 24, 2003, 1:12 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I think it's more then news, it's a travel topic worth disssing that is far greater then just a few snippets from the news stories. It's also important enough to have it in multiple places.

Why news, why not Air France? Or why is there a topic in Air France too? should it not be in any of them and be in California instead? Or Paris? Or Both?

This one may be too big to live in one place only.

Old Dec 24, 2003, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Irregardless of where this forum belongs, it seems that this is the most specific of threats that the government has received since 9/11.

Unfortunately, like the article above quotes:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The U.S. official said Washington was trying to get other flights grounded, one or more of which may be connected to Air Mexico. “There is no way yet to determine when the worst of this will pass,” he said.</font>
It seems like this is the beginning of what will seem like a random fear of this flight and that flight being possible threats.
Old Dec 25, 2003, 1:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slippahs:
Irregardless of where this forum belongs, it seems that this is the most specific of threats that the government has received since 9/11.</font>
I wouldd like to see proof of these threats. Something smells fishy here. How come specifically Air France? No logic, as they were the ones against the war and are probably still the last friends that arab countries have.

I suspect some kind of retaliation for not cooperating...
Old Dec 25, 2003, 2:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, WOH, Bonvoy
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by magexpect:
I wouldd like to see proof of these threats. Something smells fishy here. How come specifically Air France? No logic, as they were the ones against the war and are probably still the last friends that arab countries have.

I suspect some kind of retaliation for not cooperating...
</font>

Proof? Would you like to see the intel sources or methods get burned?

AF= likely due to high Muslim infiltration there, and the potential for a major FU to the US, if the attack came from France.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines
Old Dec 25, 2003, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still think it is Karl Rove going for votes for BUSH in 2004.

Show me the Uranium George. Show me theWMD.

Such statements will probably have Justice at my door tomorrow.
Old Dec 25, 2003, 7:27 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:
I still think it is Karl Rove going for votes for BUSH in 2004.

Show me the Uranium George. Show me theWMD.

Such statements will probably have Justice at my door tomorrow.
</font>
If GWB won't show you, why not ask Bill Clinton, who told us on December 16, 1998 that he was striking Iraq in order to "attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors."

Old Dec 26, 2003, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver
"If GWB won't show you, why not ask Bill Clinton, who told us on December 16, 1998 that he was striking Iraq in order to "attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors."

I guess it must have worked! We can't find them now.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wow - how quickly we went Omni . Last I heard they were trying to get the passengers on to dif flights; also, French gov't says they have no proof of threat. And so the world turns...

PS - typing this from 7,500ft in a natl park, where we're having a very white Xmas (22" of snow in 36hrs) - and tying it into travel , the roads up the mountain suck. My sister the park ranger is trying to make sure the tourists don't drive off the side & do a fast travel trip to the bottom.

------------------
Sharon
Old Dec 26, 2003, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:
I still think it is Karl Rove going for votes for BUSH in 2004.</font>
See what 8 years of Slick Willie did to you? Now you seem to beleive that any U.S. President will put politics above national security.

The government has actionable intelligence of a specific threat. What, in your opinion, should be done in such a situation?

Old Dec 26, 2003, 3:23 pm
csb

Why is that Karl Rove....errrr I mean Tom Ridge always bangs the orange gong (I believe that the current rate is at over 90%) right before potentially embarrassing or damaging news for the administration is released?

Was I the only one that noticed how quickly the mad cow discovery was relegated to item #2 in the news as well as any questions about why the White House and congressional Republicans killed--in each of the last two years--proposals to tighten inspection standards for mad cow disease, why the White House still takes it as an article of faith that business should be able to self-inspect themselves and why we have an Ag Secretary in charge of this whose previous job was as a lobbyist for the beef industry. It all got drowned out by the terror alert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.