Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

AARGH! Expedia's Fare Calendar really gone!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2003, 8:57 am
Original Poster

I've been using Expedia's Fare Calendar to plan trips and understand what fares are available, what the routings are, etc. First it disappeared from the home page, then it disappeared from the site map. But it was still available through a bookmark.

Today even the bookmark doesn't work -- it just dumps me to the homepage.

AARGH! Is there another tool out there that lists fares with routings? (Is that something that can go into the new availability checker?)
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I noticed this in the last day or three as well. I've not found any substitute.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
http://www.expedia.ca/pub/agent.dll?qscr=fpfl

gives you an opening page, choose English and then you will get a fare checker that gives limited availability of cheapest fares but does give routings

Who knows how long this will last?

This is in CANADIAN dollars-so much cheaper than they may first appear!

------------------

BlondeBomber's Star Lounge Guide
BlondeBomber's Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart 2004
BlondeBomber's Hilton HHonors Rewards Hotel Levels (1 MB!)
BlondeBomber's Starwood Hotel Levels
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:16 am
Original Member

Actually it might not give the English French choice, it might go straight to the checker depending on your settings
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
You might want to also try:

www.travelocity.com

To get the listing of the fares available, do a search for flights with the Option "Search all fares for best price" on the home page.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:42 am
Original Member

Travelocity doesn't provide routing rules

That's why we like Expedia!
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:32 am

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
not gone just renamed

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=fpfl

david
Old Dec 22, 2003, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pixpixpix:
not gone just renamed

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=fpfl

david
</font>
Your link above is to the Fare List which has been around for a while. The Fare Calendar was/is different.

The Fare Calendar allowed the user to limit the search by airline. Then, the user could see all the fares (economy, business and first) that an airline was offering between two destinations. By contrast, the Fare List pulls up only the cheapest economy fares from all airlines.

So, without the Fare Calendar, it seems that we are now limited to only seeing routing info for the cheapest economy fares unless you are flying to/from "popular" destinations as defined by Expedia. The Flight Wizard and/Fare Compare functions like the old Fare Calendar but only for listed domestic destinations. Looks like there are no fare rules available otherwise from Expedia.

The problem seems to stem from Expedia migrating to a java driven web site. Lots of pages no longer work in my Opera browser. So much for the much ballyhooed "improvements."
Old Dec 22, 2003, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Fare Calendar was truly the only, easy way to see all of a specific airline's fares for a specific route. Want to see what fares UA has for SFO-HKG? Expedia would give you a rundown, from W to F, including fare rules, applicable dates, etc.

Perhaps Expedia determined that feature was not used by people who purchased tickets on their Website.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Not sure if it will help anyone out, but I've been manipulating Travelocity dream maps to do a bit of what the fare calendar did.

Take the url:

http://dps1.travelocity.com/aircfrsh...adio=XXX|YYY|1

and replace xxx with your origin and yyy with your destination. The 1 indicates a fare of $1, which it will come back and tell you is no longer available.

This lets you use the dream map fare rules display for cities that don't show up on your dream map. For example, if I wanted to look up fares between SJC and YYC I would type in:

http://dps1.travelocity.com/aircfrsh...adio=SJC|YYC|1

Unlike the Fare Rules at:

http://dps1.travelocity.com/lognlogi...tr_module=FARE

you will still have use of the calendar function, even for international flights.

Edited to add: This probably isn't as much use for people who want to see all fares as for people who miss the functionality of the calendar function itself.

[This message has been edited by elCheapoDeluxe (edited Dec 22, 2003).]
Old Dec 22, 2003, 7:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Your post has gotten a lot of response and hopefully this has assisted you. Now maybe the monitor will relocate it to the appropriate area, obviously not MilesBuzz
Old Dec 22, 2003, 9:10 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ranles:
Your post has gotten a lot of response and hopefully this has assisted you. Now maybe the monitor will relocate it to the appropriate area, obviously not MilesBuzz</font>
... and off to TravelBuzz it goes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.